Old 12-15-2019, 01:14 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.2
Courses Played: 136
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,881 Times in 1,043 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discette View Post
If this reveiwer was writing about the extra 7 holes, I would agree. I played the 2015 USWDGC and those 7 alphabet holes were without a doubt, about the stupidest holes I have ever played in a PDGA Major event. The wooded holes sucked balls as there were barely any pathways, let alone fairways. And who doesn't love a parking lot hole? For this PDGA Major Event, there were little tiny pieces of old carpet tacked down and a stick in the ground with all the details like Hole #, distance and even a drawing of a suggested route, because - what more do you need to host a PDGA Major event?
Quote:
Too late to edit. I may have accidentally lied. I forgot all about 2011 PDGA Tim Selinske US Masters event. That course, was without a doubt, the stupidest course ever for a PDGA Major Event. Back at that time, the course was on the DGCR Top 25 list. But, I vowed never to "speak" the name of that course so as not to accidentally promote it in some way......
I hear where you are coming from, but it's a different standard that what most of us operate with. I've given a lot of 3.5 ratings to courses that have no business hosting a PDGA major. They have flaws that wouldn't hold up to that sort of scrutiny, but they are fine to hold a B tier on. If we rated all the courses that are not good enough to host a PDGA major as a "1", that would create a lot of 1's. I think that's more the issue with the review.

I thought at the time that the Texas course that will not be mentioned and Flip City sounded like they had a sort-of similar draw of being private courses with some "fun" elements that locals loved, but were somewhat gimmicky and not really creating the most competitive experience. People like me who can't really play go there and have a blast; we rate them highly based on the experience more than the golf. If you are recommending courses that you think other disc golfer will enjoy (which is what DGCR is supposed to be) that's fine. If you are going to host a PDGA major, the evaluation has to be 100% based on the shots. It's a much harsher standard that a lot fewer people are qualified to make.
Sponsored Links

Old 12-15-2019, 06:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 108
Niced 507 Times in 224 Posts

Just a couple thoughts/observations.

I enjoyed the 747s, etc. at Idlewild. Admittedly, I was playing solo, and dig planes, but I didn’t mind them at all.

USDGC and Beaver State (I think one of the courses at that tourney, anyway)) come to mind as two courses with parking lot holes in play. So it would seem that’s not a deal breaker for majors/big events. Not sure how the hole in question plays compared to those, but they’re kind of cool.

Last edited by Jimb; 12-15-2019 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 330
Niced 2,672 Times in 1,277 Posts

Quote:
If this reveiwer was writing about the extra 7 holes, I would agree. I played the 2015 USWDGC and those 7 alphabet holes were without a doubt, about the stupidest holes I have ever played in a PDGA Major event. The wooded holes sucked balls as there were barely any pathways, let alone fairways. UreAnd who doesn't love a parking lot hole? For this PDGA Major Event, there were little tiny pieces of old carpet tacked down and a stick in the ground with all the details like Hole #, distance and even a drawing of a suggested route, because - what more do you need to host a PDGA Major event?
If you think 1/3'rd of the holes are unfair, then say so.
Maybe even describe it as "nearly half" if you're not keeping count.

But that's not how the review reads. Review makes it seems like the entire course is pinball-like. Reviewer clearly didn't enjoy their round, but I having played it, I have a hard time believing it was because the course as a whole, sucks.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 12-15-2019 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 87
Niced 1,952 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Too late to edit. I may have accidentally lied. I forgot all about 2011 PDGA Tim Selinske US Masters event. That course, was without a doubt, the stupidest course ever for a PDGA Major Event. Back at that time, the course was on the DGCR Top 25 list. But, I vowed never to "speak" the name of that course so as not to accidentally promote it in some way......
Wasn't hard to figure out which one that is lol. I mean, for a casual round it looks rather fun but a Major? Wtf...
Old 12-16-2019, 12:52 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 25
Niced 896 Times in 744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimb View Post

I enjoyed the 747s, etc. at Idlewild. Admittedly, I was playing solo, and dig planes, but I didn’t mind them at all.

USDGC and Beaver State (I think one of the courses at that tourney, anyway)) come to mind as two courses with parking lot holes in play. So it would seem that’s not a deal breaker for majors/big events. Not sure how the hole in question plays compared to those, but they’re kind of cool.
The other to me is GBO. Didn't they have at one point a parking lot come into play at one point for an Island hole or having to throw over an ob parking on the the permanent course? The was before the permanent course they use got changed on that one hole for safety reasons having a pro on the top card almost hitting a parked car that should have been far enough away.
Old 12-16-2019, 06:14 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 413
Niced 307 Times in 161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimb View Post

I agree. It's not a deal breaker and they're more interesting with the Pavement being OB and it actually plays on camera. These courses that have OB roped off are practically Impossible to see watching on YouTube. Hell I was at Pro Worlds and it's hard to see in person. I don't like skipping a disc off pavement by any means, but if your a pro player at least you get it back. Lots of places your out a disc. Memorial, Ledgestone, WACO?, MVP, Utah Open. Feel free to correct me that I'm wrong but I think there are others too.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 330
Niced 2,672 Times in 1,277 Posts

Playing near an airport can be a buzzkill of you're looking for serenity, but after a while, the planes kinda fade into the background. Playing near an airshow is entirely a different matter, though.

I recall a round a few years ago at The Ponds of Lakeshore while an airshow was going on at Willow Run very near by. Felt like I was getting buzzed by F-15's or whatever they were. They were flying low and fast, specifically trying to put on a spectacular display for the crowd. It was kinda cool at times, because it was kinda like getting to watch the show for free, but damned those jets and copters are freaking loud, and it gets old fast.

But if you're into that sorta thing, play more rounds near an airfield.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:51 PM

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Loving this thread, I think this is a very interesting discussion
Old 12-17-2019, 11:56 AM
Still a puppy

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 269 Times in 170 Posts

The OP is probably looking at this right now, it says he's online lol. Anyways, why complain about a course that has trees, it's a specific skill set that's necessary for dg.

Old 12-17-2019, 03:55 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 25.7
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 66 Times in 27 Posts
Default I got a kick out of this

Quote:
And fourth, there's tee pads where there is NO tee pad! It's just this loose rubber like material that is so slippery you'll break your neck trying to throw off of it! Concrete teepads or nothing. Why do places think some sort of astroturf or rubber mat is an acceptable option? Concrete or the ground are the only acceptable tee pads when you are outside
Like...I get that rubber teepads sometimes suck, but it's a testament to this dude's apparent newbishness that he has never seen a rubber or astroturf teepad done well. They do exist, and IMO, are nearly uniformly better than dirt teepads!

Niced: (1)