Old 12-26-2019, 04:23 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 0.5
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 71 Times in 34 Posts

My third month of disc golf has been marked by rising expectations, a big increase in snap and thus distance, and an even greater appreciation for how little I know.

Still Can't Putt Worth a Darn

This is good news, though. Now that I'm getting my approaches into makeable range, those circle one putts have become a glaring hole in my game. That means I'm excited to work on them. Bought a relatively cheap practice basket (Discmania Lite Pro) and I'm practicing a lot from 5 meters indoors, and 7 meters outdoors. At first, I went with a straddle putt and I see the merits of it. Really it comes down to timing and how much I lead with my arm or legs depending on the putt. But it's not for me just yet. I'm trying to emulate McBeth's tempo and release as a starting point, and letting my arm adjust to what's natural. I find putting to be very streaky. The difference between a good putting round and a bad one is huge.

Frustration Levels Have Been Low, Stoke Levels High

Last month I should have mentioned that I was getting a little angry at times. This month I've had fewer "goddammit"s and more "ah well"s. I'm also correcting my habit of not waiting after my throw for that post-shot visual and physical feedback, maybe back up to 80% of the time from 50%.

I've played a few new courses and the variety has been nice. I'm playing Endicott Park more than my "home" course now. It's shorter and more technical and I like that. While St. Louis/St. Charles area doesn't have a lot of great courses, it has a bunch of pretty good ones, so I'm lucky to have a good scene here.

Still losing weight and managing my joint and back health, which has improved this month.

Distance

While not something to obsess over, it is an objective measure of progress. I'm at a consistent 250' under (relatively) controlled, flat conditions on an average (not trying to kill it) tee throw with a Champion Leopard, with a (rare) max of about 300'. Last month was somewhere between 200' and 250'.

But distance is weird to measure. Small sample sizes, varying conditions, topography, etc. It's rare that you can throw without trying to hit a line, and sometimes that line conforms to the way you're throwing furthest (and that "line" changes as you progress). It's a lot more useful to me to know that I can get past a certain tree before my disc fades, or that a solid throw with just a bit of pop will leave me a putter approach.

I'm very happy with my progress here, and now that I've learned how to throw with something resembling snap, I need to work more on timing and x-step and weight shift and all that jazz.

The Forehand Looms

I've planned to learn to throw a forehand next month. I keep running into situations where a backhand anny will just not work, and while it has been really good for me to go ahead and throw the anny regardless, and make it work as well as I can, I recognize that the forehand is a tool I need. So far, my best throws go about 150'. My bad ones feel like they could lead to injury. I'm going to be very careful and smooth as I approach this new throw. Some people say that the forehand felt natural to them, and I'm definitely not one of those people. Some hilarious throws have resulted from me trying to work them in here and there. If I try it and I realize it's too soon, I'll back off and save it for later, and keep working those anhyzer angles.

Scoring

Scoring isn't really a thing for me yet. I have kept track of a few of my 9-hole bests on one course, but stopped because it was not really helpful, despite being objective. There is some artificial frustration there. "Bogey golf" describes my good rounds well enough. But I do notice a much higher frequency of pars and occasional birdies. Scoring will probably be more relevant to me when I get better.

The bag

Drivers: Champion Leopard, Star TL (Probably going to replace TL with Lat64 River)
Mids: TI BuzzzSS, TI Buzz, Star RocX3 (Going to replace RocX3 with BuzzzOS)
Putter/Approach: Luna
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2019, 01:45 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 19
Niced 27 Times in 22 Posts

Good to hear that progress is being made. For me, I am fairly competitive in nature and used scoring a round as a motivator and a way to measure overall improvement. You might want to consider scoring your home 18 hole course if you have one. You might be frustrated with the current "bogey" golf, but as you progress closer to "par" golf and hopefully "birdie" golf, it would be nice to see that progress.

Either way, keep throwing that plastic.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-27-2019, 07:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Niced 1,096 Times in 640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco40 View Post
The rebuke is appreciated, lol. I really like the feel of wider rims (even though I don't have large hands), but I'm definitely not ready for them. I've left them out of my bag the last few times.
Just curious, have you thrown a leopard yet? I would be interested in your review comparison as far as control, distance, etc, to a wide rim disc.
Old 12-27-2019, 07:30 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
Just curious, have you thrown a leopard yet? I would be interested in your review comparison as far as control, distance, etc, to a wide rim disc.
I throw a champ leopard for any drive that allows it (there has to be room to flex it, it's not straight), love that disc! It's true what people say about it being great for noobs. That's the narrowest rim that I like the feel of, too. If the physics somehow worked out, I would choose everything to be at least as wide as that.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:12 PM
Bogey Member

Made an adjustment to my bag after trying out a bunch of stuff, and I'm keeping it simple.

For now all of my mids will be ESP Buzzz's, in all three flavors of SS, Stable, and OS. I just can't get comfortable with TI plastic for some reason. Mostly it's mental, I throw it okay. But for whatever reason ESP is just right for me at this point. I don't think about the plastic, but with the TI I do.

My drivers will be the Champ Leopard, Gold Line River, and I'll keep in a Champ Valkyrie to chuck now and then to satisfy my need to remind myself that I shouldn't be throwing something that speed. Beginning to really like Champ plastic for harder throws, though Star is okay too.

And as much as I like the Leopard, I might be in love with the River. Effortless glidey straight goodness so far. Feels like it was made just for me, at least for now.

As for approach disks, I'm having some trouble with the Luna. I really love the feel of it for anything in putt or jump-putt range (which for me is about 60 feet). But I don't think I like it as a thrower. Will experiment over the next couple of months. I've even considered throwing big fast clunky discs for approaches. Is there not merit to this? When throwing softly, I kind of like the faster discs. We'll see.

Last edited by disco40; 12-29-2019 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:06 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
My drivers will be the Champ Leopard, Gold Line River, and I'll keep in a Champ Valkyrie to chuck now and then to satisfy my need to remind myself that I shouldn't be throwing something that speed. Beginning to really like Champ plastic for harder throws, though Star is okay too.

And as much as I like the Leopard, I might be in love with the River. Effortless glidey straight goodness so far. Feels like it was made just for me, at least for now.
I have all three of those discs [by my Valkyrie is Star plastic] and think those are good fairway drivers. The River is a great disc for slower arms as it is very glidey. When you start to throw it faster and it flips on you, start throwing hyzer flips with it.

Quote:
I've even considered throwing big fast clunky discs for approaches. Is there not merit to this?
What do you mean by "big fast clunky disc"? I have been using my Westside Shield that I got in a player pack for drives up to 240' and approaches as it flies very straight once it has been beaten in.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:47 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odedge View Post
I have all three of those discs [by my Valkyrie is Star plastic] and think those are good fairway drivers. The River is a great disc for slower arms as it is very glidey. When you start to throw it faster and it flips on you, start throwing hyzer flips with it.

What do you mean by "big fast clunky disc"? I have been using my Westside Shield that I got in a player pack for drives up to 240' and approaches as it flies very straight once it has been beaten in.
I wasn't sure how to say it. What I mean is that outside of jump-putt range but inside the low end of my mid-ranges, which is roughly between 60 feet and 130 feet, I do really well with something like a Felon or Destroyer, which are both discs that are clunky for me and predictably dump off to the left. On the other hand, those sorts of super touchy putter shots give me a lot of trouble.
Old 12-30-2019, 01:46 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
I wasn't sure how to say it. What I mean is that outside of jump-putt range but inside the low end of my mid-ranges, which is roughly between 60 feet and 130 feet, I do really well with something like a Felon or Destroyer, which are both discs that are clunky for me and predictably dump off to the left. On the other hand, those sorts of super touchy putter shots give me a lot of trouble.
Ok, that makes more sense to me. You probably do well with them because you are trusting the disc more than you trust your accuracy throwing a neutral flying disc and guiding it to the basket.

If you have to go around an obstacle, then using "big fast clunky disc" have their purpose. I use my Star Destroyer for going around stuff as I can trust that it will come back. Ideally, you will want to develop a straighter approach with a much slower disc.

Just as Yoda once said to Luke... "Control, control... you must learn control!"

Niced: (1)
Old 01-04-2020, 01:43 PM
Bogey Member

Struggling not to throw everything to the right during my last couple of rounds. It's like I can't trust a flat or slight hyzer release, and end up either releasing late or forcing it over or both (I can tell when I do this because of a funky off-balance follow-through). My Leopard shots are becoming unreliable after several weeks of being very reliable, either turning right for way too long or even sometimes just diving to the right. My understable mids are the same story.

I feel as if I'm in a grey area where in the past, I was making up for weakness in my arm/wrist action with bad habits that got good results, and now after some progress, I'm just short of being able to reliably release flat or slight hyzer and have the disc consistently fly in its intended way.

I'm at the: "just throw your mids, ya goof" stage, right? I have a course nearby where there is only one hole that I can't reach with two midrange throws...

Old 01-05-2020, 02:32 AM
Bogey Member

By "throwing to the right", do you mean you are throwing big hyzers or the disc is turning over to the right or is just late releasing as you mentioned. If it's late releasing, it's probably related to rounding if you are using an x-step.