Old 01-06-2020, 11:53 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 0.5
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 69 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odedge View Post
By "throwing to the right", do you mean you are throwing big hyzers or the disc is turning over to the right or is just late releasing as you mentioned. If it's late releasing, it's probably related to rounding if you are using an x-step.
A fair amount of late release which I'm not too worried over (I'll watch out for rounding), but more it's me sort of forcing the disc over and/or subconsciously releasing anhyzer. I think I just need to set up a couple cameras and put them in the technique forum, if I ever get around to it.

Sometimes I'll late release combined with a follow-through that ends with my arm/shoulder way down to the right. Those go reeeeeeeally far right lol.

I think what I said about not trusting a flat release is what is happening between my ears. I spent so long trying to compensate for nooby hyzer throws that I'm somehow over-protecting my throws from going to the left.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2020, 12:51 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.6
Courses Played: 19
Niced 26 Times in 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco40 View Post
I think I just need to set up a couple cameras and put them in the technique forum, if I ever get around to it.
Recording some of your throws is a great idea and something I wish I did earlier. If you know the basics of a good throw, the videos can be useful just for you to review. If not, the technique forum is a good place as well.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-10-2020, 02:04 AM
Bogey Member

Just had an "aha" moment about putting today.

It is extremely obvious but for some reason I have been putting too "tight" for months. I bended and pushed at the knees and swung my arm in some way resembling what you should do, but I just didn't have any fluidity or pop to my putts most days. Today everything changed, and all I did was rock back and forth a little, with basically my whole body. Same amount of push from the legs, but the arm felt much more powerful. It cut the feeling of effort nearly in half. I got nice and free and loose, and effortlessly chucked in all but my longest C1 putts.

I'm a very long way from becoming even a mildly proficient putter, but this was a big step. It's amazing how much difference being just a little bit more fluid can make.

Old 01-13-2020, 06:26 PM
Bogey Member

First significant back injury. Spasms, bulging disc. Nothing operable but I have to eat some meds for a little bit. Mercifully, my car broke down, so my time off is justified by a couple of things.

I may have hurt myself playing and unplanned 36 holes following 18 the previous day. I thought I could handle it, but some moderate lifting at work later that night absolutely finished me.

Been only 3 days since I played, but feels like much longer! Time to let the hunger build and devise a supplemental light exercise program for my core.

Also a nagging rib injury that's a tear from October. I hate wasting good winter days but I think it's time for a break.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:40 PM
Bogey Member

Threw about 12 holes after an 8 day layoff, felt okay but not great, and broke my 9-hole PB by two strokes.

I've gone to throwing only Champion-type plastic for drives and ESP plastic (only throwing Buzzz molds) for mids. Something about each of those just feels right. I like the minimalism too.

The Leopard goes about 270 avg for me now, and the mids about 240 avg.

Still putting off learning the forehand because of the back issues, so instead I'm going to work on learning to hyzerflip my Leopard. I feel I should be able to do this now, because I can throw it 300+, and I'm always flexing it and getting all the action I need, but I need to be able to throw it straighter at times.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:39 PM
Bogey Member

Got off work a little too late, so I decided to go to the local park for my first "field work" session. Here's how it went.

The baseball/softball park there has fields with a 305' fence, which is plenty of room for me. Unfortunately, the infield is made with a lot of clay. This matters in a moment.

I throw all the discs my bag and it starts to rain and the wind kicks up, which is kind of expected to be honest. So I walk up to the infield to retrieve my discs and go home (this is where I pretend that everything I threw made it to the infield), and with the first step, I sink to my ankle in what can only be described as ten thousand square feet of diarrhea.

I see all of my discs lying scattered, wind-blown about the infield diarrhea, and my mind immediately turns to the Postman Problem, and curses science for failing to have solved this for me.

Five minutes and an inefficient number of criss-crossing squishpoop footprints later, I had retrieved all of my discs and clumped my way back to the parking lot. What did I learn in my first fieldwork session? Don't fund baseball.
Old 01-23-2020, 02:30 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
What did I learn in my first fieldwork session? Don't fund baseball.
Sorry to hear about the bad fieldwork session, but you earn a real LOL with this one!

Old 01-27-2020, 04:45 AM
Bogey Member

The fourth month playing disc golf has been awesome, and the DG bug shows no signs of passing. Weather, work and pain have stopped me a few times this month, but I've still gotten out for about a dozen rounds.

Form Changes

I added more shoulder turn and more emphasis on weight shift this month. This has thrown off my release timing and occasionally my nose angle, but trusting the bigger turn helps set my feet and hips better, especially for standstill throws. Trusting the aim when I glance away is a bit of a mental barrier.

Other than that, I'm trying to commit to the throw and actively reminding myself to "snap" through the release, which is mental shorthand for a really complex thing that I'm trying to beat into my muscle memory. I feel like working on one thing per round is about right. There are fifty things you could think about, but I can just handle one thing.

No forehands yet, at least not any full power ones. I'm able to get out of trouble and down the fairway a bit with a forehand, and some blocked approaches near the basket. The motion still feels too foreign and it's physically uncomfortable. Will try again next month lol.

Discs/Plastic

I really like ESP for midranges and Champion or Opto for fairways. I can't describe why I like them, though. I'm throwing my Buzzzes a lot. Don't even bring another type of midrange.

Picked up a Teebird3 again, and it's crazy how different of a disc it is now, compared to when I tried to throw it before. It's clearly the furthest thrower for me fresh out of the box. And even though I know I'm not getting all of my money's worth out of its flight (under 300' most of the time), it still turns over a little and finishes in the middle of the fairway.

With the lower speeds, when you see the way a disc is "supposed" to fly, it's really cool. I'm finally to the point where my good Buzzz throws are taking off like a laser and finishing gently to the left, or arcing smoothly on hyzer without stalling. It's beautiful. When I get a hold of my Leopard it flips up gently and flies very straight until the finish (learning to do this is a lot of fun).

I guess this month I'm finding out how cool discs really are. How they're sensitive to different angles and speeds, and how subtle the art of control is.

Putting

Been doing a bit of practice, and while I'm still total crap at putting, it's coming along okay. Still missing a couple per round that I should have made. The discovery about rocking back and forth into my putts is the biggest improvement I've made, to add some momentum to it instead of just stiffly cocking back and pushing off the rear leg. A little more of a loosening process helps transfer that looseness to my arm. I putt best when I focus on the pole. That might sound obvious, but it's easy to forget to do that, and see the basket as sort of a fuzzy grey target.

My inner Discraft fanboy was delighted at how comfortably the Fierce proto fits my hand. It might replace the Luna for me, at least for anything I don't have to throw hard.

Progress?

I feel like I'm a lot better than I was a month or two ago, but my scoring (if I were to keep score) is not. The yardstick I use when I do keep score is the front 9 on the closest course, which is long enough that I rarely get a birdie look. My best is +7, and over a month ago my best was +9. It's about the same story on a shorter course I play a lot. I suspect I average about a bogey there too. It's both disconcerting and oddly comforting that my feeling of improvement and learning doesn't translate into a better score.

And as usual, there are too many things to put into words about how every new improvement or discovery shows me how little I know.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:19 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
I feel like working on one thing per round is about right. There are fifty things you could think about, but I can just handle one thing.
One or maybe two things are what I try and focus on when adding or changing something new to my drives/putts.

Quote:
It's both disconcerting and oddly comforting that my feeling of improvement and learning doesn't translate into a better score.
This is so true. One reason is that when you are learning something new or changing an old habit to a new one... there is some "getting worse" before you "get better" at it.

The other reason is that there are so many variables in this game that you can learn a lot and not save a stroke but play the hole better. Saving a stroke is normally the mark of notable improvement and saving that stroke consistently is the mark of big improvement.

Old 01-28-2020, 01:05 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odedge View Post
there are so many variables in this game that you can learn a lot and not save a stroke but play the hole better.
Man, this is so true. There are a number of holes that come to mind immediately where this is the case. Where my usual score, regardless of whether I played it "well" is a bogey, but getting to that bogey on better lines with better-executed throws is really satisfying.

Now I often get a long par look that is actually a long "putt," which might go in 10-20% of the time, where I was previously throwing in an easy approach that had little chance of going in but made the bogey almost automatic.