Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 11-03-2015, 11:11 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Need help picking a long distance driver

I started playing disc golf in 1990. I played for many years and then stopped. I have come back to disc golf but my disc are very old. I used to throw a viper which I could throw around 300-330ft. I am assuming there are more modern disc that fly much further. I do not know what to pick for maximum distance. Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2015, 11:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 180
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 68 Times in 54 Posts

Things have come a long way. Maybe try somthing like a beast or a thunderbird. But the distance driver of choice for most is the destroyer.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:48 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 74
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,147 Times in 743 Posts

What discs do you throw and how far can you throw them?

That will help determine what you will be able to throw the farthest.

If you can still throw the old Viper over 350 I'd try out a Wraith or a Tresspass. You will be able get some D.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:51 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 7 Times in 7 Posts

You haven't thrown a disc in 15+ years and you want distance driver advice?

Too hard to recommend a disc not knowing what your currently capable of. Try a Leopard, Teebird and a Valkyrie and see how they fly for you for a while. When you get warmed up again you'll probably get better advice when you report back and the discs are usable to most power levels so it won't be a waste of money.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 50.2
Courses Played: 4
Niced 168 Times in 109 Posts

I'm with grotto. The guys here are great at recommending discs, but more information would help. Play a few rounds with your current stuff or just field practice and report back. That way you can get the most bang for your buck.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 879 Times in 592 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplracer View Post
I used to throw a viper which I could throw around 300-330ft. I am assuming there are more modern disc that fly much further. I do not know what to pick for maximum distance. Thanks!!!
If you can get a Viper that far, you really need to try both a Star Destroyer and a Champion Tern. A safer bet if just getting one would be Star Wraith. If you want to try Trilogy, start with a Trespass or Sword. How any one of those reacts for you will tell you where to go.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 603 Times in 443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplracer View Post
I started playing disc golf in 1990. I played for many years and then stopped. I have come back to disc golf but my disc are very old. I used to throw a viper which I could throw around 300-330ft. I am assuming there are more modern disc that fly much further. I do not know what to pick for maximum distance. Thanks!!!
For control distance, still can't go wrong with a Valkyrie - I recommend Champ or Star around 172.

For MAX D- depending on your style and skills, etc...I'm liking the Dynamic Discs Trespass for good Distance and control.
Prodigy D3, Innova Tern (for understable) Destroyer (for 0verstable)
and if you want to try something new- Westside KING
Old 11-04-2015, 11:51 AM
I'm With Her

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,298 Times in 1,692 Posts

I'd suggest looking at the Marshall Street Flight Guide to see the choices of speeds and stabilities available today. If you're still throwing a Viper 300+, I'd think you're pretty capable of throwing just about anything, and it's only a matter of choice.

To see where you really are today, I'd suggest borrowing or buying a DX Valkyrie. You'll find out your distance levels as well as if you prefer stable, overstable, or understable discs. The Valk can still be used for a variety of shots, or you could pay it forward to a friend looking to test his/her game or be introduced to the sport.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 603 Times in 443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
I'd suggest looking at the Marshall Street Flight Guide to see the choices of speeds and stabilities available today. If you're still throwing a Viper 300+, I'd think you're pretty capable of throwing just about anything, and it's only a matter of choice.

To see where you really are today, I'd suggest borrowing or buying a DX Valkyrie. You'll find out your distance levels as well as if you prefer stable, overstable, or understable discs. The Valk can still be used for a variety of shots, or you could pay it forward to a friend looking to test his/her game or be introduced to the sport.
Just get Champ or Star, DX is not a great judge as its flippy and damages easily on drivers.
its only $4 more for a champ....do that... BUT totally agree on the valk.

If you feel more comfortable to rip a wider rim driver.
There are a TON out there....depending on your style and how much S you can get off the valk, try a stable (neutral) max D driver, if it doesnt turn over much at all, try something a lil understable....as i mentioned before Tern, King are solid choices for slightly understable max D.

....valk rules

Old 11-04-2015, 12:50 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 18
Courses Played: 97
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 16 Times in 15 Posts

Since you could gun a Viper 330', a Champion Viking would probably be right up your alley. It is the Valkyrie-X basically, just a Valkyrie with a nose spacer added, more overstability to it. Discraft Z XS is another solid option. Long shot would be the Quantum Orion LF, which I have a feeling you would like.

Last edited by THUGNIFICENT763; 11-04-2015 at 12:52 PM.