Old 05-29-2017, 02:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 155 Times in 107 Posts
Default 2017 Bag

This is the year of my midlife crisis.

I'm not quite old enough to have a real midlife crisis yet, but my mids are in disarray.

I'm coming from a z wasp/z comet combo. It is very goos and solid. Every line is covered, plus some wind.

Then i went warrior/comet. The warrior is a pretty sweet disc and definitely more OS than a wasp. I enjoy it, but i lost some versatility.

So i started throwing suregrip warrior to beat in. That got me falling in love with base mids again, but the warrior loses too much hss in winds for me, and i decided to revisit my second favorite mid after the comet - the roc. However, All the kc and dx rocs I've been able to find feel like hot garbage both in the hand and plastic itself, and didn't fly with as much stability as i recall my older rocs having.

so i decided to revisit the ghost as well since it's my third favorite mid after the comet and roc. It feels better in the hand and the base plastics are amazing, but never had the stability of my rocs.

Well, the ghost and current rocs I've found lately fly the same. Now, the ghost is awesome. Current ghosts are better than current rocs in my neck of the woods, where I've been able to see them in bricm and mortar stores.. But i dont think i could be happy throwing ghosts without having at least one as OS as a good flat wasp. I've bought icon, protege, excel and gravity.

So now I'm back to possibly a wasp/comet combo again.

Here's what I've been throwing lately. I've pared down my bag quite a bit.

Kc pro aviar, seasoned for drives and putts and approach.
Champ glo aviar driver

Protege ghost
Excel ghost

Star gazelle
Champ gazelle

Ppd
Spd

Ppd2
Ppd2
Spd2

If i need extra in a really windy day or a roller course, I'll toss another kc aviar in along with a dx gazelle and an h1 and stego plus a cpd. But this bag covers everythig easily.

The inly change I'd make is going back to. Wasp/comet....sigh...
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2017, 06:12 PM
Par Member

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

I share your pain with midranges. Actually with the same three molds you mentoined. I think my comets will always be safe since they're so easy to replace. Ghosts and rocs are tough though. I've tried convincing myself I like ghosts better, and I do in premium plastics, but my baseline ghosts don't seem to seasoning quite the same as some of my favorite rocs I've had in the past. Maybe it's in my head but they don't seem to have quite as much HSS as a roc. It's slight but enough to bug me. I'll probably end up just going icon ghost, seasoned kc, comet or something.

I have a spare pinnacle ghost somewhere if you want to try it, but icons are more OS in my experience. My want to try a legend. Good luck.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 51
Niced 217 Times in 142 Posts

Pair the Ghosts with a Quake/BuzzzOS/Verdict/Justice/Harp/Roc3X or anything else in that stability bracket. I roll various Roc3s/Quake/Harp and they all get along really well. I honestly think the Harp would pair well with a Ghost.

But I'd really just go back to Wasp/Comet and get a BuzzzOS. Or just say screw it and carry the Warrior for those slightly more OS than the Wasp can handle shots
Old 05-30-2017, 01:31 AM
* Ace Member *

It is tough. The roc definitely has a tick more hss which is enough to bug me too. It's the only mid in the world that you rip on as hard as you ****ing can, flat, and watch it fly perfectly straight the whole way.

The ghost is close.

The wasp/comet combo is probably what i need to stay with. My champ gazelle is beefy enough to power down into mid territory.

Today i rocked the ghost though, and i enjoyed it. We will see. Maybe i can hunt down some older stock rocs from air traffic stores around here. It seems stability goes wasp>roc<ghost for sure. It seems hilarious to nitpick over these things when I'm not nearly as talented as many others, but i am so happy with tbe rest of my bag that it's frustrating. Especially when innova has made such amazing rocs in the past.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:13 PM
* Ace Member *

So, since I've lost my last wasp and my seasoned up excel ghost is an amazing disc, ive decided to temporarily commit to the ghost. I snagged a puddle top today that seems to be nicely os. It definitely fades enough to take it out of the workhorse role to complement the excel.

So i will now start seasoning my protege. The cycle is on.

Current full bag

Opto bite

Kc aviar x2
Champ Bb aviar x1

Ghost x3

Gazelle x3

Pd x3

Pd2 x3

H1

Stego

Even though this is almost exclusively a rhbh bag, i think the molds im throwing, for the most part, are also conducive to learning fh. It has really been bothering me, missing easy deuces because i cannot throw rhfh.

When throwing light, i can easily get this bag down to 7 discs and still throw well.

Old 06-17-2017, 11:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 51
Niced 217 Times in 142 Posts

Pd2's, H1, and Stego should be easy enough to limp through a rudimentary forehand while you fine tune it. Honestly, I'd add something like a Harp/Zone/Rhyno to the bag to learn flicks with as well; putters are great for dialing in your angles and speed, because they flip like crazy when overcooked but respond well to the right amount of power and angle. I started out with no forehand and just began flicking a Firebird on terrible flex lines at first, while flicking my Judges and Harps and Roc3s to figure out angles. I would just flick my hand using the wrist as the joint, then when that started hurting I figured out to start moving my whole arm like I had been flicking my wrist. Watching pros flick in tourney videos helped too.

Having said that, bag looks solid for RHBH!