Old 12-29-2019, 05:05 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 413
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 308 Times in 161 Posts
Default Learning forehand after 30

I've been playing for over 15 years now. I play quite a bit but have never really "clicked" throwing forehand. I dabble with it from time to time and can throw upshots decent enough, for me at least. My question is whether I should even try to improve this next year. I'll be 36, so I'm not that old, but I've been throwing backhand the whole time. When I first started I used to throw thumbers all the time. Now I throw them ONLY when I have to. I feel like I've seen a lot threads on here about sidearm/forehand soreness from members who've been playing a long time. Is this something that I'd be advised not even getting into at this point. I throw annys pretty good but having a forehand has it's benefits as well. Looking for thoughts from the 35 and over crowd?
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 12-29-2019, 06:18 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,716 Times in 750 Posts

Go for it, but learn how to do it properly.

Never mind all that "you need a firebird" crap. Lead with your elbow, stop all those unnecessary big wild arm swing reach-backs and learn to feel the snap in your wrist/fingers. Start slow and learn to flick understable stuff and not roll your wrist. Watch Big Jerm and Gregg Barsby, they have no massive shoulder torquing wind ups.

I teach quite a few neewbies and I always start with an Aviar P&A just to get them to slow down and feel the snap. We'll play catch and I'm always amazed at how easy they pick it up and how far we spread apart when we're done.

Sidewinder22 had a video out, maybe he'll pop on and give a link.

I started throwing sidearms 2 years ago (I'm 58). It has changed my game and I'm noticing no added pains. I can throw a Hyzer-flip forehand 300ft with a Roadrunner.

Best of luck.

Old 12-29-2019, 07:28 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 651 Times in 292 Posts

Learn your forehand with an FD-like neutral disc so you don’t use overstability as a crutch. Learn how to throw touch forehands first and add power later if you so choose.

Niced: (3)
Old 12-29-2019, 10:16 AM
Par Member

Niced 164 Times in 93 Posts

Take a hockey stick/broom or whatever and hold it with both hands. Left hand top and right hand under and start mimicking a sidearm throwing motion. It΄s not 100% how you throw it but this drill should get your whole body involved from the get go. Usually people are so lead hand fixated that they do not use anything else except the arm when trying to learn sidearm.

Niced: (2)
Old 12-29-2019, 10:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.9
Courses Played: 95
Niced 1,209 Times in 472 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

I started FH shots after 55, I use them mostly for up shots and short drives.

I'm told the best way to learn is the same as BH, start with a low speed disc first.

I didn't do that and do OK with my short FHs, I never plan on using the shot for distance.

Niced: (2)
Old 12-29-2019, 01:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 46
Niced 4,512 Times in 1,889 Posts

*I'm just now 30 but over the last 2ish years I've learned a pretty serviceable FH*

When I started learning, I just bought a plain, flattish Dx Rhyno and made a point to use it on short upshots. I slowly started pushing that upshot distance out and started reaching for a Buzzz on even longer shots. I then started playing around with RRs and SWs off the tee, learning to hyzer flip FH and squeeze out a little extra distance and open up some new lines I had never dreamed of throwing.

Good luck

Note: Stay away from Firebirds while learning

Niced: (3)
Old 12-29-2019, 02:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 172
Niced 549 Times in 255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhaley View Post
Looking for thoughts from the 35 and over crowd?
I learned FH well into my 40s, after throwing BH only for decades. I used to be able to FH out to about 300' but now I stick to a smooth and easy 250 or so, which is still super useful in the woods.

My suggestion is to practice flicking putters with just your wrist and fingers. You will be surprised how far you can flick a disc that way, and learning to pop your fingers at the right time helps when you add arm swing.

For whatever reason this is the video that helped FH click for me. Good luck!

(sorry I never get YouTube embeds right, but here is the link):

Chris Woj - Throwing Forehand

Old 12-29-2019, 07:49 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 413
Niced 308 Times in 161 Posts

I appreciate all the advice. I've been throwing some Firebirds sidearm, which a few people advised against, lol. I agree that they hide bad form though. But they always finish right (RHBH). I've noticed I am much more consistent from a standstill.

So I suppose it's no different than learning a backhand. Start with neutral putters or mids. My problem was that when I tried a sidewinder or something it would just turn and burn. I know my form is not good. I feel like I lose track of where my elbow is during the pull through, if that makes sense. In relation to both leading with it and how close to my body it is.

Last time out I threw 3,and on they third I felt a little soreness in my forearm. Next weekend hopefully I can get out to practice. Any suggestions about discs to try would be appreciated. I have way too many discs so I'm sure I have something similar if not exactly to test out lol.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,071 Times in 1,869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhaley View Post
I appreciate all the advice. I've been throwing some Firebirds sidearm, which a few people advised against, lol. I agree that they hide bad form though. But they always finish right (RHBH). I've noticed I am much more consistent from a standstill.

So I suppose it's no different than learning a backhand. Start with neutral putters or mids. My problem was that when I tried a sidewinder or something it would just turn and burn. I know my form is not good. I feel like I lose track of where my elbow is during the pull through, if that makes sense. In relation to both leading with it and how close to my body it is.

Last time out I threw 3,and on they third I felt a little soreness in my forearm. Next weekend hopefully I can get out to practice. Any suggestions about discs to try would be appreciated. I have way too many discs so I'm sure I have something similar if not exactly to test out lol.
IMO a Banshee would be a much better choice than FB. Putters/mids can be a lot more frustrating FH simply because you get less spin naturally, and really have to finesse them.

My elbow is basically locked/loaded to the shoulder, so shoulder moves, elbow moves with it. The wandering elbow you are describing sounds like the "Inverted W" I describe in vid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBrlJ9mDbhQ

Old 12-29-2019, 09:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,716 Times in 750 Posts

There is no special disc, just pick neutral. I learned to throw forehands with a Zephyr.

Here are some videos;

This is what I basically teach to newer players, you don't need big wild run-ups and arm swings to get out there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udqdmBLI6nk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgUyW5aGC2U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBrl...ature=emb_logo

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=128673