Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 07-21-2010, 04:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 7
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Champ Roc vs. Star Roc vs. Pro Roc (vs. DX)

The only DX plastic i carry is a Roc. i'm looking to replace it but i want to get some advice as to the differences in the plastics (not so much about the Rancho,SM, molds).

1) Is it worth the hassle of finding and buying a Champ roc vs. Star (or Pro)?
btw... when do these come out, soon i am guessing?
I've noticed that Champ rocs have a thicker flight plate than DX (havent compared a star or pro..)

2) is there much difference between the Star vs. Pro... (obviously there will be, but is it negligible enough to be slightly irrelevant.)

3) Is there one that is better as a driver than another?

For perspective, my current roc is a tad bit understable to be used as a reliable driver. i use it for any non-hazard shots (steep hills, etc) in the approach range, and i love it. i am not sure that i will replace it, but i want to try a new roc to see if i can maximize its potential.
(Current Roc - 168 Dx.... thinking about something in 170-172 Range. I really want a Champ roc, but i cant convince myself that its a better solution or worth the problems finding it.)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2010, 04:24 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 16
Niced 36 Times in 25 Posts

When you say Pro plastic, are you talking about KC Pro?

And as far as Star Roc's go, the easiest to purchase are the production San Marino Star Roc's. Rancho's in Star plastic are tough to find.

If you can find a Champ Rancho that would be the most stable. For the price I'd just pick up a KC pro Roc. They are pretty stable to start and season slower than your regular DX.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.9
Courses Played: 40
Niced 51 Times in 35 Posts

Plus there are different types of rocs too...

you have an ontario roc, rancho roc, san marino roc, roc+

then you have star roc, ching rocs, dx, champ, kc pro, r-pro, and ce(pre-champ plastic)

Then on top of that, different years of the ce roc flew differently. 02 was less stable than the 01 and 03
Old 07-21-2010, 04:30 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 4 Times in 1 Post

I'm thinking about getting a Roc, but I don't want a DX or Pro because I don't want to break it in (my main mid are comets), so what premium plastic would be closest to the flight of a new Rancho Roc?
Old 07-21-2010, 04:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.9
Courses Played: 40
Niced 51 Times in 35 Posts

and the star san marino is less stable than a kc pro roc
Old 07-21-2010, 04:51 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 13
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Since this is all about rocs... what is the difference between a roc and a roc plus?
Old 07-21-2010, 04:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,102 Times in 1,881 Posts

If you want an overstable Star Roc, just get a Millenium Siruis Sentinel MF, or Quantum Sentinel MF for Champ.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.8
Niced 1,024 Times in 451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjeremiahj View Post
The only DX plastic i carry is a Roc. i'm looking to replace it but i want to get some advice as to the differences in the plastics (not so much about the Rancho,SM, molds).

1) Is it worth the hassle of finding and buying a Champ roc vs. Star (or Pro)?
btw... when do these come out, soon i am guessing?
I've noticed that Champ rocs have a thicker flight plate than DX (havent compared a star or pro..)

2) is there much difference between the Star vs. Pro... (obviously there will be, but is it negligible enough to be slightly irrelevant.)

3) Is there one that is better as a driver than another?

For perspective, my current roc is a tad bit understable to be used as a reliable driver. i use it for any non-hazard shots (steep hills, etc) in the approach range, and i love it. i am not sure that i will replace it, but i want to try a new roc to see if i can maximize its potential.
(Current Roc - 168 Dx.... thinking about something in 170-172 Range. I really want a Champ roc, but i cant convince myself that its a better solution or worth the problems finding it.)
I have been disappointed in my premium Rocs. I've tried about 10 different ones.
The KCs are okay but I appreciate the quicker break-in period of DX.
I bought a Champ Roc to use as my overstable mid and the Champ ended up being less HSS my DX Roc.
Stars don't float my boat because of the comparatively harsh fade and lack of glide.

My relatively brief foray into non-DX Rocs has convinced me to stick with DX for several reasons.
DX is cheaper
DX appears to mold more consistently
DX breaks in faster
DX grip is better regardless of condition
DX is easy to find
DX glides better

Some of these are pros IMO. Other people might consider them cons. It all depends on your priorities.

For my priorities I decided DX is the best way to go. If your priorities are similar to mine then DX will probably suit you better.

To answer your questions:
1. No.

2. I've never thrown a Star Rancho but Champs and Pros are similar enough IMO.

3. IMO no.

Last edited by Marmoset; 07-21-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 7
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

i should have stated it in the above mentioned post...

i plan on buying an "off the shelf" current production roc (or this year's Champ Roc if i can find it.)
so my questions are about current run and "generalities" more than specifics.

In current production there are -
DX Roc
KC Pro Roc
Star San Marino Roc
Champ Roc (Soon to be released - TFR/CFR)

i wanted to get inside info about how they flew in comparison to each other more than just revisions of the web write ups.
i'm leaning on getting the Star Roc and hoping to find a Champ Roc (just because).... but maybe there is something that the Pro can do better?
(i'm looking for a driver-esque concept more than an approach as i am in search of the elusive 300' mark with mine; currently 250'+/-, beaten in, and slightly unpredictable at the max ranges *for me*; 168 Dx)

Old 07-21-2010, 05:11 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 18
Courses Played: 831
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 31 Times in 19 Posts

I really prefer dx rocs over all the other plastics I've tried, though I do like the KC Pros too. The whole point of a disc like the roc is it starts out as a nice slightly overstable mid, breaks in to a looong straight mid, then slowly wears into a predictable and controllable turnover mid. My longest roc throws (330ish) have been with a worn in roc, not with one that's newer and more overstable, you just have to give it a little room to work it's line rather than trying to muscle it out there.