Old 03-07-2011, 07:37 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 98
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 232 Times in 124 Posts
Default One step forward, two back

What would you guys say to someone who feels like he has improved, but does not seem to be making much of a move towards better scores. While my discs do fly off in odd directions once in a while still, I'm not all over the course as I was when I first started. My technique I think has improved. What is that one thing you have to do to start getting your scores down. Is it just as simple as becoming a better putter? I do need to do that, but what else?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2011, 07:40 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 11
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via MSN to drickanderson

Play par golf. Once I quit driving for the basket at every tee, I started seeing my scores drop.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:44 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 98
Niced 232 Times in 124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drickanderson View Post
Play par golf. Once I quit driving for the basket at every tee, I started seeing my scores drop.
What are you driving at, if not the basket? Do you mean you manage the course, instead of vice verse?
Old 03-07-2011, 07:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 11
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via MSN to drickanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by art_vandelay View Post
What are you driving at, if not the basket? Do you mean you manage the course, instead of vice verse?
I don't know what your courses look like, but a lot of baskets on mine are just inside the reach of a decent drive (350-400), so I'm always trying to blast a driver at the basket, just because I can throw that far. Once I started throwing for a good upshot, rather than always trying to deuce the hole, my game became a lot more stable.

The birdie shots will present themselves on occasions, and of course on the 00' holes, you should be trying to get as close as possible, but on my home course (9 holer), there are only 2 holes under 300', and the rest are 350 or greater (2 over 500).

I have two options on a 400' hole:

1) try to park it, and risk an errant drive that takes me WAY off course.

2) throw a nice controlled 300' shot, then take the easy 100' upshot, and putt in for par.

As hard as it is sometimes, I score much better when I take the latter approach.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:09 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.8
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

the better you are, the slower you improve. at first it feels like you're making strides in a short amount of time, but the rate of progress slows, and you have to put in increasing amounts of time to keep improving. either that or there's something about your form limiting you from improvement.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:45 PM

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 196
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

When you shoot pool, you're thinking 2-3 moves in advance. Each time you hit the cue, you are setting up your next shot. Think of your tee shot as the first in a series to tap in the eight ball. Don't try to throw your disc further if you can't finesse the shot through obstacles. Think about the shots you have and put them together to complete the hole. That helped me understand it better.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:16 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 105
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Could be just a funk. Those will come and go from time to time. If not, take it one hole at a time. Pick one that gives you trouble and try to shave a stroke off that one next time out.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:18 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 5
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to lokirising

Quote:
Originally Posted by drickanderson View Post
I don't know what your courses look like, but a lot of baskets on mine are just inside the reach of a decent drive (350-400), so I'm always trying to blast a driver at the basket, just because I can throw that far. Once I started throwing for a good upshot, rather than always trying to deuce the hole, my game became a lot more stable.

The birdie shots will present themselves on occasions, and of course on the 00' holes, you should be trying to get as close as possible, but on my home course (9 holer), there are only 2 holes under 300', and the rest are 350 or greater (2 over 500).

I have two options on a 400' hole:

1) try to park it, and risk an errant drive that takes me WAY off course.

2) throw a nice controlled 300' shot, then take the easy 100' upshot, and putt in for par.

As hard as it is sometimes, I score much better when I take the latter approach.

That
Old 03-07-2011, 11:40 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 104
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'm going through a funk. Then again it has been windy as heck the last few days.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 87
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Putting is the answer to lowering your scores. Be able to hit every putt from 30 feet in and you will definately drop your scores. If that is your goal, then buy a few putters of the same mold and practice! And have patience.