Old 08-17-2013, 02:07 PM

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 10
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default What next?

Like a lot of newbs I started off by purchasing a driver well beyond my ability (Starfire) and a lid for a putter (Polecat). On top of that, my home course is Disctractions @ Hueston Woods, which if you haven't played it is basically a forest trail with tee pads & baskets. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful setting and a fun course that has holes calling for just about any shot you can think of.. Most of which I usually don't make, but I'll get there. Point being that a distance driver comes in handy on maybe 2 of those, at least for me for now.

So I wised up a bit and got a Leopard & Aviar, in large part due to reading up on this forum, and that's helped my game tremendously. What I seem to be missing now are mids.. The hard fade on the Starfire is nice for doglegs but I still don't have much consistency with it and even if I do make a proper throw it's got too long a range for most situations.

Basically I feel like there's a gap where the Aviar doesn't quiet have the legs without really gunning it to the point where it won't hold a line, but the Leopard turns over because I'm not putting enough into it.

Is this just a lack of technique, or would anyone care to recommend a couple of discs for a novice that would fit that niche? I'm thinking one relatively straight-flying & one with more fade for those shorter to medium-distance doglegs would help. Forgive me if I'm misusing those terms and not making any sense - I've read a few FAQ's etc but still figuring out how all these discs differ from one another.

Anyway, any and all help up to and including "You don't know WTH you're talking about" would be appreciated. Thanks.

Oh yeh and I'd kind of like to try out some non-Innova product being as that they're the only brand I've used since that's the only one WalMart/Dick's SG/PIAS seem to carry and there's a proper Disc shop (SweetTees) right near where I work. Owner is the dude responsible for the course I mostly play on so I'd like to check the place out at least.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2013, 02:18 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 7.8
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would recommend discraft zone and buzzz. Zone for those short, must go left / right shots and buzzz for controlled straight shots. Those are the discs i use and they do cover all shots needed in forest courses.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 150
Niced 60 Times in 20 Posts

The Buzzz and the Roc are of course the common forum recommendations.

Outside of that, I personally am a huge fan of the MVP mids. The Tangent is a very workable neutral midrange that is my go-to disc for wooded holes <250' like what your home course sounds like it has. It hits straight to anny lines very nicely, fights the wind well relative to its stability, is awesomely durable in either plastic, and is very easy to range. The Tensor is a great OS mid: won't turn over, but flies straighter longer in comparison to other discs with that kind of high speed stability. It's got a dependable fade on the end of its flight that is nevertheless tight enough to keep you on the fairway in tight, wooded situations. Love me those discs.

Another popular suggestion would be a heavy Opto Fuse, which would fill a similar role to the Tangent: great for straight to anny lines.

Good luck in your bag search! I'm sure you'll get a ton of recommendations from this thread.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:21 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 16
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you're looking for a midrange disc, that isn't Innova, and runs straight with a nice left turning fade, try MVP Disc Sports' ”Vector”

I tried a lot of ”not as OS as a Gator” mids, and I finally fell in love with the Vector, and I carry 3 of them now
Old 08-17-2013, 02:22 PM
Banned

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lat64 Trident kicked the Zone out of my bag, but the Zone is a solid disc. Maybe try a Zombee?
Old 08-17-2013, 02:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.6
Courses Played: 117
Niced 35 Times in 22 Posts

Overstable (most fade): Trident or Drone
Stable: Buzzz, Tangent, or Warship
Understable (most turn to the right for Right-hand Back-hand throws): Meteor, Tursas, Fuse and maybe a Comet (the Comet is pretty neutral)
Old 08-17-2013, 02:29 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 9
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have to second the Buzzz recommendation. Not sure how far you're throwing, but the Buzzz is great regardless. It is the only disc that survived my chucker phase. I have spent this entire summer experimenting, but there's just nothing like the Buzzz. If you get a Z Buzzz (or Ti I would imagine, though I can't say for sure), it will cover those left-fading shots out of the box. Once it breaks in a little it'll be dead straight. If you aren't quite so patient, you could get a Z Buzzz and compliment it with an ESP or X which will break in faster. I currently use an old ESP Buzzz for turnovers and a Z for straight shots.

If you really want to go off the beaten path, though, you could give an Ibex a try. My medium X-link is pretty beefy (fades out hard), but overall its a lovable straight mid with good speed/glide.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-17-2013, 02:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 10
Niced 57 Times in 43 Posts

I'm surprised no one has asked yet, but how far are you able to throw the Leopard. Knowing this is useful for us to make recommendations.

There are good reads in the bag suggestion sub forum, namely the how to build a bag thread.

I would pair the Leo with a Teebird. With those 2 molds you should be able to cover your driver lines, and you can grow with them as you grow as a player.

For mids I would suggest the Roc or Mako from Innova and/ or the Comet or Buzzz from Discraft. These should be easy to find and remain the benchmarks for almost any new disc. The Mako is just easy to throw. The Comet is great for working on form. Try them and at the very least you have something for a solid comparison. Also, you should be able to shape a lot of lines with the Avair. Try some putter only rounds.

Last edited by jskew113; 08-17-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:01 PM
Dynamic Discs #1 Fanboi

Courses Played: 19
Niced 6 Times in 6 Posts

The Truth is what you seek.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.6
Courses Played: 117
Niced 35 Times in 22 Posts

Quote: