Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 08-14-2019, 10:46 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,350 Times in 684 Posts

When I was actively competing it depended on where the hole was in my round, and how the round was going. These days I throw for fun, and it isn't fun to play for par.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:14 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 360
Niced 714 Times in 250 Posts

I say just work on making your putting confidence circle bigger.

That way you can run it with confidence knowing that even if you miss, you can clean up for par.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-15-2019, 03:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 71 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicGuy View Post
Imagine you have a hole where you average a par 70% of the time, birdie 14%, and bogie 16%. If you lay up you get par 99% of the time, as in every time bar a fluke disaster. Do you go for it or lay up?

I personally cannot help but go for it, and looking at my stats it seems foolish. My rationale is that I won't get better at the birdie line if I lay up. Also, in a competitive situation, I figure I would need to play above my average ability for a couple rounds to win anyways, so laying up is foolish. But in reality, I get frustrated on the 70% of pars for missing the birdie, and on the bogies it is absolutely dejecting.

So what is your philosophy?
Typical practice vs competition scenario.

In practice you try to get better and you run the hole. In competition you play the best average, so you lay up.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-15-2019, 07:46 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 506 Times in 269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigles View Post
Typical practice vs competition scenario.

In practice you try to get better and you run the hole. In competition you play the best average, so you lay up.
But what if you won’t win without taking the risk? Do you settle for a safe fifth place or actually try to win?
Old 08-15-2019, 07:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 71 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
But what if you won’t win without taking the risk? Do you settle for a safe fifth place or actually try to win?
Try to win! But that's just me.

If the difference between 3rd and 4th place were a few houndred dollars and i need the income, i might think different about this. But i just play for fun and bragging rights.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 94
Niced 1,727 Times in 750 Posts

Over the weekend I found myself in a situation where there were choices to be made over aggressive vs conservative play. I had a 2 stroke lead going into the final 3 holes of a C tier with the final hole being one both myself and my competitor were in all likelihood going to par. My competitor throws much farther than i do and our 17th hole was a par 3 over a pond that I sometimes have trouble clearing near the basket. Our 16th hole was a par 4 with a particularly nasty sloped green on the back of the dam of said pond.

After 2 shots apiece on that hole he was basically under the pin and i had a 25 footer or so for my birdie facing down the slope. Laying up would have put me one stroke ahead going into a hole where I knew him to have a significant advantage. While admittedly terrified of it I stepped up and made the putt. The following hole I then switched to ultra-conservative mode and threw way off to the left on the side of the pond with the shorter water carry. Laid up from there and took home the win. Turns out he threw one in the drink as well so I wound up winning by 4.

Niced: (3)
Old 08-15-2019, 08:02 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 116
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 56 Times in 35 Posts

The way I see it is that you are getting a par or better 84% of the time. To me that is a pretty good score and shouldn't scare you away from going for it.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:28 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 506 Times in 269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
After 2 shots apiece on that hole he was basically under the pin and i had a 25 footer or so for my birdie facing down the slope. Laying up would have put me one stroke ahead going into a hole where I knew him to have a significant advantage. While admittedly terrified of it I stepped up and made the putt. The following hole I then switched to ultra-conservative mode and threw way off to the left on the side of the pond with the shorter water carry. Laid up from there and took home the win. Turns out he threw one in the drink as well so I wound up winning by 4.
If I were in your shoes I would have done the opposite. My putting stinks and I would have certainly laid up a death putt in that situation. I would also rate a 1 stroke lead going into the final hole as a great situation, as even if they have an advantage on it I would be pretty much guaranteed at least a playoff.

And that is why I suck. I have no killer instinct. I would rather bank on a playoff than actually slam the door.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 94
Niced 1,727 Times in 750 Posts

Quote:
If I were in your shoes I would have done the opposite. My putting stinks and I would have certainly laid up a death putt in that situation. I would also rate a 1 stroke lead going into the final hole as a great situation, as even if they have an advantage on it I would be pretty much guaranteed at least a playoff.

And that is why I suck. I have no killer instinct. I would rather bank on a playoff than actually slam the door.
Each situation is different based upon the people in it. Putting is the strength of my game. I have also not fared particularly well in playoffs over the years.