Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 12-14-2018, 12:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,849 Times in 1,229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhayes7 View Post
Exactly what I primarily use my Champ Thunderbirds for. To me, it is the tunnel shot disc of choice if I need to throw a forehand longer than my Zones. If I throw with clean form, it deviates so little left to right.
I put a Verdict between my Zone and Thunderbird in FH's...give that a shot if you need more low ceiling distance than the Zone can handle but don't want the speed/stability/fade of the Thunderbird. I can't FH a Zone much more than 250-270'ish with a flat release, but since you say Zones plural maybe you have some beat in or non premium ones that can do that for you.

I always wonder why I never really see pro's FH Thunderbirds in tourney coverage. I've seen Eagle FH his PD which is basically the same thing though.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2018, 08:28 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 491 Times in 281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
I put a Verdict between my Zone and Thunderbird in FH's...give that a shot if you need more low ceiling distance than the Zone can handle but don't want the speed/stability/fade of the Thunderbird. I can't FH a Zone much more than 250-270'ish with a flat release, but since you say Zones plural maybe you have some beat in or non premium ones that can do that for you.

I always wonder why I never really see pro's FH Thunderbirds in tourney coverage. I've seen Eagle FH his PD which is basically the same thing though.
Yes I have some very beat Pro-Ds, though not quite your power on FH.

Since another thread has convinced me of the need for this: I throw my FH Thunderbirds on distances from 225 for less than full power to consistent max of 300. I have reached 350 with this mold on accident on occasion (all overthrows of my intended target), but can't seem to duplicate this distance on purpose. Even these overthrows still are tunnel shot straight (bad form never rewards me with this much extra distance).

But as to plastics, for shorter distances, I will throw my engraved Dx (I refuse to call them embossed even though that seems to be the excepted description) at lower power to fill the gap between the Zone and Champ Thundy. The Dx feels great, and is just a laser at not full power. Gives a bit more of a S type flight at full power, which is fine since I try not to throw it in the woods. The Champs really thrive when thrown at my max controllable power.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-14-2018, 09:45 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.7
Niced 401 Times in 190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhayes7 View Post
...engraved Dx (I refuse to call them embossed even though that seems to be the excepted description)...
Thank you! LOL
Old 12-18-2018, 06:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 44
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 170 Times in 119 Posts

Impulse buy at a local shop: 151 DX. For winter throwing, perfect. Plenty of stability. DX Thunderbirds continue to deliver for me.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:13 PM
Par Member

Niced 62 Times in 33 Posts

Decided to throw my thunderbird back in my bag as my OS utility/headwind driver. Everyone always suggest a firebird or similar disc. Since I only throw 275-350' I can probably use a thunderbird in that slot instead.

Niced: (2)
Old 12-19-2018, 12:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 472 Times in 370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Decided to throw my thunderbird back in my bag as my OS utility/headwind driver. Everyone always suggest a firebird or similar disc. Since I only throw 275-350' I can probably use a thunderbird in that slot instead.
Yeah, I figure you need about 350' just to flatten out a champion Thunderbird. Anything less than that and it'll definitely fly overstable. I throw them 400'+ and they don't have any high speed turn.

I don't trifle with G* or pro Thunderbirds because I don't WANT the high speed turn.

Old 12-19-2018, 07:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 32
Niced 345 Times in 215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
I play in Open but not the kind of pro you'll see in a Jomez video . I love throwing my Thunderbirds FH. My favorite shot with them are any kind of uphill shot where I can put a little anhyzer on it and have that Thunderbird superglide just carry it up to the basket so easy. Of course it's great on any other FH shot that I need to hold dead straight with a hyzer finish.