Old 01-13-2018, 10:12 AM

Courses Played: 1
Niced 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Dewgarita View Post
I was like "hey, I've done the one legged thing, maybe I have some advice here... wait a second, that dude has two legs..."

Apologies for my poorly worded title. I was on a one track mind towards the one legged drills.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2018, 10:44 AM

Courses Played: 1
Niced 2 Times in 1 Post

Also, SW, I forgot to ask you about the bottom pic of you in the one legged drill. It looks like your shoulder/chest angle is more of the "hugging yourself" angle rather than hugging a friend? Maybe it's just the angle of the vid or maybe I'm just not understanding when you can break that angle and when you can't. Thoughts?
Old 01-13-2018, 12:27 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 116 Times in 82 Posts

A hammer will do. Really anything heavy that you can firmly hold in your hand is good. I've used a large roll of duct tape before.

As for SW, he's not hugging himself. He actually keeps his upper arm and shoulder angle quite wide compared to a lot of players (probably has something to do with his frame).

The key to not collapsing the upper body is locking in the upper arm and shoulder angle. That angle should stay at or above 90 degrees throughout the entire throw. There's quite a bit of confusion on what rounding really means. True rounding is when the disc comes behind your center of gravity in the backswing. Another type is when you start to try and pull wide rail and cross the disc across your body outside in (usually causes shanks to the right RHBH.) The other thing "rounding" refers to is the upper arm and shoulder collapsing (hugging yourself. I'm not really sure why people call this rounding, though.

Remember when trying to do wide rail, your still turning upright. I started "leaning into the wall" when I tried to pull wide rail, and it added more issues than it helped with.

Here's a little more explanation on pull lines from another thread:
I don't think it really matters where the disc starts as long as your hand isn't behind this line (towards your back in the backswing/actual rounding). The disc can travel inside->out (looks like rounding, but it's not), outside->in->outside (Doss), or straight down (I'm pretty sure Schusterick falls into this group.)

The one below shows the inside out trajectory of the disc really well.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,157 Times in 781 Posts

Yeah, pay attention to billyjacko's post above.

You want to think of the angle from left shoulder-right shoulder-right elbow to be >90 degrees. It's the forearm and disc that will swing in, then swing out. It will swing in at the elbow as you are getting to be parallel to your aim line, and then it will swing out as you start opening up.

You are starting with this shoulder angle at like 150+ degrees, then just turning the arm back at the shoulder. This causes a huge disconnect that you'll feel with something heavy in your hand.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 197
Niced 1,078 Times in 733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjacko View Post
There's quite a bit of confusion on what rounding really means. True rounding is when the disc comes behind your center of gravity in the backswing. Another type is when you start to try and pull wide rail and cross the disc across your body outside in (usually causes shanks to the right RHBH.) The other thing "rounding" refers to is the upper arm and shoulder collapsing (hugging yourself. I'm not really sure why people call this rounding, though.
There is really only type of rounding which is the upper arm angle collapsing/hugging. This can be caused by either planting into open stance or swaying around closed stance. Hugging causes the elbow come around the shoulder and the wrist to come around the elbow early/pre-casting.

The disc can cross behind your center if you turn your body/shoulders back far enough and maintain a wide upper arm angle. This is more common in lanky and flexible players.

Niced: (1)