Old 01-12-2018, 04:50 PM

Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 7
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default Mid-range grip?

Having learned to play disc golf with only a valkyrie and a putter, I did not start (as many suggest) with mid-ranges and disc up when appropriate. I now typically play with a Aviar, Mako3, Valkyrie, and Wraith, having acquired the Mako3 recently.

I'm 6'2" and really like the feel of the valk/wraith in my hands. The Mako3, not so much - the rim just feels really tiny. I use the power grip on all of the discs, but I find that I'm very inconsistent with the Mako3. I tend to griplock/roll my wrist on the throw (rhbh), causing it to carry on an anny curve. This happens maybe 1/4 throws.

I've tried a fan grip, but that seems to release too early at times. I also don't have the aforementioned woes with the drivers.

If this matters, I'm getting the Mako3 out to 280-290ft on a straight throw.

Is this a grip issue or form issue?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2018, 05:05 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 37
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 218 Times in 123 Posts

Try a fork grip, it's a blend of the power and fan you mentioned. Pinky and index are pressed against the rim [power] while the middle and ring fingers are facing outwards toward the center of the disc (more along the lines of the fan).

Not exactly how I hold mine but the edit window is dwindling for me and I'm on mobile:
https://utmarketgarden.files.wordpre.../p10100361.jpg

Niced: (2)

Last edited by GripEnemy; 01-12-2018 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 197
Niced 1,078 Times in 733 Posts

Both form and grip.

I actually use the grip GripEnemy linked, but the index is wrapped slightly more and I consider it a fan grip or modified power fan grip, it's the same that MJ uses. The fork grip is aka the Climo grip which is quite similar. I'd recommend playing around with Bratten's 2 finger grip through, it's the base of every grip getting the index finger triggered around the rim properly and then moving the other fingers around for comfort and control. I go over it my grip and alignment vid below, it sets up similar to the Climo/fork grip but starts with the middle finger folded back instead of the pinky then wrap/trigger the index. Feel how to control the disc with two fingers and where the pressure is in the top of the hand, rather than deep into the palm.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-13-2018, 03:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 42 Times in 28 Posts

I grip all discs with powergrip and i can aussure you it's just a matter of training.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:58 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 13
Niced 48 Times in 29 Posts

I like Will Shusterick's putting and midrange fan grip in this video. He also emphasizes to do what feels comfortable. Power grip is not comfortable for me so I don't use it.

https://youtu.be/0Vrqk5dUgU8
Old 01-13-2018, 11:16 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 278 Times in 226 Posts

I'm kind of the same. I won't say I have huge hands, but they aren't small either. I feel much more comfortable gripping wide rimmed drivers over mids. Even a Leopard doesn't feel that great and I find that it slips frequently.

I'd rather throw a mid smooth and controlled over trying to muscle it out at full power. Usually if I put 100% power on a mid it grip locks and ends up being a lousy throw. A fairway driver with a moderate power throw gets the job done far better.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-15-2018, 10:35 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 5
Niced 82 Times in 65 Posts

I don't know what it is called, I call it the F U grip... grab the disc like you are giving the ground the finger it is a power grip but with an extended middle finger for more control over the discs angle. If you are throwing a Z Comet I put my thumb right on the "z".
Old 01-21-2018, 11:17 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 15 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwasurge View Post
I don't know what it is called, I call it the F U grip... grab the disc like you are giving the ground the finger it is a power grip but with an extended middle finger for more control over the discs angle. If you are throwing a Z Comet I put my thumb right on the "z".
I believe this is called the birdie grip (probably because you're flipping the bird). I do the same thing when driving putters and mids. I also keep a bit looser of a grip with putters and mids.

I can use a power grip with putters and mids, but it feels awkward and not as consistent and doesn't give me any extra distance.

Actually, I use a birdie grip for approaches and putts too, which is probably strange.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-25-2018, 01:46 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 11 Times in 7 Posts

There is a video of Paul McBeth talking about the "modified Power Grip" on the SpinTV youtube channel.

That's the grip I use for my midranges and putter, you can still get to 300-350 with a bit more control.

Old 01-25-2018, 04:08 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 164 Times in 130 Posts

I use the grip below for putting, but I throw my putters and mids with the same basic grip but my non-index fingers are in the conventional power grip fashion. I prefer beaded mids and putters as I can rest my index finger on the bead, though the Mako3 is really nice for straight shots until I can scrounge up some $ for a Comet.