Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 11-08-2019, 01:44 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,179 Times in 1,605 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
So...what would you do in this situation? If you have a disc that started stable and has beat in to slightly understable, and also a disc of the same speed that is naturally slightly understable, which do you bag? I've tried pulling one or the other out of the bag for a bit, but find myself at least once per round wishing I had the other one available. And yet I feel like I might be handicapping myself by splitting Max D shots among two discs rather than maximizing familiarity with one disc.
In your specific situation, if you have room in your bag then carry both if you're using both.

More generally, many people prefer the beat-in disc in the situation you described. But there are other factors, such as the type of plastic. If you use base plastic... and yes, Trilogy plastics wear in fast... then you can replace a lost disc more quickly, and that worn-in disc might give you the more consistently better flight.

However, some (including me) prefer premium plastic, so both the more-OS disc and the more-US discs will hold their flights longer (and in the case of my Champion Panther, forever), so I'd go with the more US disc in this situation rather than waiting for eons for the more OS disc to beat in.

TL;DR: whatever works best for you.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2019, 02:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 691 Times in 544 Posts

Its hard to really say you prefer a beat in disc vs. a naturally understable mold. Both will have their merits. I've thrown some really, really good beat in drivers. They tend to lose the high speed stability first, but keep the late fade. That can produce some massive distance.

Then again, you have some naturally undertstable molds that fly the same way. You also have to take into account the inconsistencies in flight from disc to disc.

If I had to pick 1 mold that beats in to absolute perfection, I'd say star Destroyer. It takes a very long time though. The disc VEEERRRYYY slowly starts to show more high speed turn. It'll generally keep the healthy fade though. What you end up getting is a more pronounced S curve flight.

I bag a champion Boss and a G* Shryke. The Boss is old and some of the stability has worn off. The Shryke is simply longer. I keep both in the bag, even though they have somewhat similar flights. When you need that extra 30', the Shryke will dig deep and give it to you. The Boss doesn't quite have the floaty glide a Shryke does. Few discs do.

FWIW, I throw premium plastic drivers. I don't want the flights to change abruptly. I found what with DX or pro you could see some fairly drastic flight changes in a short amount of time.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 74
Niced 140 Times in 105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmiller View Post
Just FYI, the Shryke has the same rim width as a Destroyer/Scorpius/DD3/PD2/XCal, if you prefer the Shryke over your beat-in Raider and want something else in the OS Shryke slot...
Weird I didnt know this. I have PD2s and shrykes in my bag which is still weird to me. I needed something understable to replace my old pd2s when I sold them. Still no roller disc will ever better than a beat s-line pd2. I cant wait to have one that flippy again..
Old 11-14-2019, 04:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 590 Times in 432 Posts

I would say - don't let what others do or what is 'expected' for a 'good disc golfer' affect what you bag and why - I know folks that are ALL ABOUT cycling and keeping type of discs to minimum and others that carry many discs for the different flights. Since you have good reasoning for both, I say carry both, do what is most comfortable and effective for you.

With all that said I myself have some spots where there is disc overlap (on paper) but I know on the course there is a reason I use 1 disc over the other even if they fly very similar. I used to feel pressure to not carry too many similar flying discs - now I just want to prepare for the course, know the conditions and bag what I feel will work best.

I (sorta) simplified it with a basic layout for every course, I carry 5 kinda speed ranges and within those 5 speed ranges 4 stabilities, Understable, Slightly Understable (or just straight), Slightly Overstable, Overstable - no matter what the disc is I want to make sure I have those flights and speeds covered, I switch it up a bit, sometimes carry an Array of Atoms for all my short range stuff. Or a few Buzzes in different beats - I have 3 outlaws that can cover OS, Stable, and US. It all depends. But most of the time I have a disc (different mould) for each stability.
so do what works for you with what you have (and what you like)

Old 11-14-2019, 08:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 691 Times in 544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasOrion View Post
I would say - don't let what others do or what is 'expected' for a 'good disc golfer' affect what you bag and why - I know folks that are ALL ABOUT cycling and keeping type of discs to minimum and others that carry many discs for the different flights. Since you have good reasoning for both, I say carry both, do what is most comfortable and effective for you.

With all that said I myself have some spots where there is disc overlap (on paper) but I know on the course there is a reason I use 1 disc over the other even if they fly very similar. I used to feel pressure to not carry too many similar flying discs - now I just want to prepare for the course, know the conditions and bag what I feel will work best.

I (sorta) simplified it with a basic layout for every course, I carry 5 kinda speed ranges and within those 5 speed ranges 4 stabilities, Understable, Slightly Understable (or just straight), Slightly Overstable, Overstable - no matter what the disc is I want to make sure I have those flights and speeds covered, I switch it up a bit, sometimes carry an Array of Atoms for all my short range stuff. Or a few Buzzes in different beats - I have 3 outlaws that can cover OS, Stable, and US. It all depends. But most of the time I have a disc (different mould) for each stability.
so do what works for you with what you have (and what you like)
I agree with this. No one can tell you how to play disc golf. Its pretty much a game of self discovery. Try all sorts of different discs and see what works. Besides, the same things don't always work for everyone.

Niced: (1)