Old 04-15-2010, 09:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts
Send a message via AIM to billnchristy
Default Does "potential" factor into your throws?

Here is the question:

My wife throws >200' standing still. I would say her drives are realistically 180-240' depending on conditions.

She recently started turning over her leopards at a dismal rate. I thought she was rolling her wrist or getting some kind of nasty bad trait. I don't get to watch her play that often so I haven't been able to observe.

When she played doubles on Tuesday one of the guys she plays with watched and said that she has so much arm snap which is how she can basically get so far without much movement...he said she also does not have a full follow through.

She takes tae kwon doe and uses basically her punch as her throw so it definitely has a lot of *hit* at the end.

Now obviously if she would learn a run-up and proper follow through she could probably be out to 300' or possibly more.

Does this potential distance help account for turning the leo over? Is she throwing too fast for the disc?

What should we put in the bag? I put a JLS, an Polaris LF, her Assassin and her Flash back in the bag. Good line up?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2010, 10:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 7
Niced 48 Times in 21 Posts

No, "potential" does not factor in.

What plastic are the Leopards and what condition are they in. DX Leopards can get pretty flippy when they get beat up, but then again that's what they were designed for. The higher end ones should handle 240' of D with no problem.

How much "snap" you actually have will directly affect how far the disc goes and how fast the disc flies.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.1
Courses Played: 200
Niced 20 Times in 16 Posts

How heavy is that Leopard? Type of plastic? How old (beat)?
Old 04-15-2010, 11:08 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

She has a 150 champ-was main driver for past 3 months, 171 star- was main driver prior 6 months, 168 pro- new, 153 dx- new

All of em are flipping when thrown flat.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

My guess is her snap is faster than the leopards ideal flight speed?
Old 04-15-2010, 11:48 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 50
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can see the lighter ones and less durable plastic flipping easily, but a little curious with the 171 star lep flipping easily. I generate a great deal of snap with my star lep (around same weight, maybe a few grams heavier), and push it out to 300, and it slowly turns over and will usually come back at the end.

Star plastic is more stable than the dx and pro. I'm sure you considered the possibility of headwind/crosswind turning it over, or at least helping turn it over.

If you feel it is the speed of the disc, you can try a faster disc (although I'm not sure what to suggest)
Old 04-15-2010, 11:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 7
Niced 48 Times in 21 Posts

How do they fly with a little hyzer? The Leopard is designed to turn when thrown flat. It's also not very resistant to OAT and will turn hard from any anhyzer. Bascially, with the way she's throwing it's impossible to tell what the issue is.

From most likely to least likely, IMO:

1. She's actually throwing a bit anhyzer.
2. She has some OAT.
3. This spot intentionally left blank
4. She's exceeding the cruise speed of the Leopard.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:02 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 77 Times in 49 Posts

OK (slow work day) I have to jump in here.

First - to try to answer the original question - if she is turning over all discs / all weights, it's a "technique issue" (as it is for ANY disc NOT flying like you want it to...as I'm sure a world-class player could throw a beat Archangel 250 feet plus if they played enough hyzer).

Second, there are only the attributes outlined by physics that can affect a disc - nothing more. These are the disc's launch speed, spin rate, and the various angles of the disc at the moment it leaves the hand. So when people (sorry Bill) speak of "snap", it really just confuses things.

More snap may produce more speed; it may produce more spin...but "snap" as a force applied on the disc is moot.

Sooooooo,
1) Is she applying SO much speed that it's the wrong disc for her? No...IF she's willing to "correct" her angles or spin rate.
2) Is she applying SO much spin that it's the wrong disc for her?
No...in fact she may not be putting enough spin on it (for her speed), as if any disc traveling at any speed increases its spin, it will stay 'stable' longer (and thus NOT anhy out - as is her case).
3) Is she applying a 'wrong angle for that disc - when combined with her other inherent forces (spin, speed)'?
Yup (just my guess). Maybe try (god, I hate saying this to a new dg'er for fear of ingraining bad habits) more nose-up! Or more hyzer!

Except for freak air conditions (wind, etc.) I believe these are the only 3 factors which will affect the flight of any 1 disc.

I'm guessing that (even though the angles haven't been perceived to be "incorrect") they are.

Karl
Old 04-15-2010, 12:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

I should've said thrown what she thinks is flat...

I will try to watch tonight and see what I see, there might be a little anny in there but she has worked on her release so I kind of doubt it.

I know Barry can get a leopard over 400' so there has to be some technique flaw in there. For now I hope the JLS does what she needs. I will try to record a throw or two so I can watch in slo-mo and see how the disc is leaving her hand, I told her to put some hyzer on it yesterday when we talked about it...figured worst case she will get some added distance this way or the perceived added hyzer will actually remove the non-perceived anhyzer she naturally has.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 86
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

have her try the assassin. i have a hard time trying to turn it over.