Old 07-30-2021, 04:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,546 Times in 1,404 Posts
Default If Discgolf was in the Olympics.

Looking at ball Golf in the olympics, and the rules makes me think of what it would be like if DiscGolf was in the Olympics with the same rules.

Each country can have two players, four if all of them are top 15 in the world...60 players total

This would mean that we would have 4 US players and 2 player from 28! other countries.

I guess the scoring spread would be HUGE in a tournament like that. .
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 07-30-2021, 06:26 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1,173 Times in 557 Posts

This would be great for the "growing the sport" people. Professional disc golf would become local to billions of new players, rather than something played by folks in a relatively few countries that don't speak their language.

If disc golf ever did grow to have a big market, the landscape that currently exists in manufacturing and retailing would change significantly. Most production would be moved outside of the USA and EU to reduce costs. Major retailers would drive lots of local shops out of business. No current disc golf manufacturer or retailer would be safe.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-30-2021, 06:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,546 Times in 1,404 Posts

Wierd that the Olympics golf tournament don΄t have a bigger status among the players..very few of the top players are in Tokyo at the moment.. . .bad for Discgolf? . . in most sports a Olympic gold is the highest honor you can get. . not so in Golf or Soccer

Lot΄s of "small" sports in the Olympics..so why not DiscGolf?
Old 07-30-2021, 09:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 353
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 703 Times in 258 Posts

The 'back door' way in might be to promote niche and specialty groups. Disc Golf was adopted as a demonstration sport for the National Senior Games (the Olympics won't let them use the title "Senior Olympics", despite turning out 10,000 competitors) in Cleveland in 2013, as well as in Minneapolis in 2015. Trivia: The very first "Olympic" medal handed out went to our buddy Bob Cundiff!

There were only 33 participants (from 9 states) in the former, and only 30 (from 14 states) in the latter. The impression we were given is that growth is needed to really pop up on the state games level before they'll be looking at disc golf again. I think it's an awesome experience, and provides exactly what is the purpose for senior games: thriving, healthy activity, rather than stagnation. But being a little more expensive than a typical tournament, and obviously being 'medal only', the senior pros won't have much interest until it has much, much more respect.
Old 07-30-2021, 09:18 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 150 Times in 71 Posts

Used to hear buzz about Skateboarding. Time will probably bring it about if civilization lasts another 50 years.

Old 07-30-2021, 12:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 863 Times in 479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
Wierd that the Olympics golf tournament don΄t have a bigger status among the players..very few of the top players are in Tokyo at the moment.. . .bad for Discgolf? . . in most sports a Olympic gold is the highest honor you can get. . not so in Golf or Soccer

Lot΄s of "small" sports in the Olympics..so why not DiscGolf?
I think the reasons ball golf Olympics isn't important to the top players is two fold.

1. The summer Olympics happens during the ball golf season.
2. Where's the money?

Old 07-30-2021, 02:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.5
Courses Played: 139
Niced 534 Times in 248 Posts

https://wfdf.sport/

Old 07-30-2021, 02:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Niced 631 Times in 382 Posts

can I just say Olympics ruin cool sports? skateboarding? we don't need a fricking podium, thank you very much. my 56 yo azs would rather skate off a podium, and my skills suck and have bills to pay....

Old 07-30-2021, 02:39 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 441
Niced 116 Times in 26 Posts

Disc golf is fringe popular in like 10 countries. Paul McBeth (or anyone else) is far from a household name. If it gets a better foothold in at least 1 continent, it would maybe be considered. It's probably a long way off if I were to guess.

Old 07-30-2021, 03:59 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 93
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 894 Times in 327 Posts

The Olympic Charter indicates that in order to be accepted, a sport must be widely practiced by men in at least 75 countries and on four continents and by women in no fewer than 40 countries and on three continents.

I'm a little surprised that: sport climbing, skateboarding, sailing, trampoline, and surfing meet this standard, but disc golf does not.

Niced: (2)