#11  
Old 02-25-2017, 09:41 PM
dehaas dehaas is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Swansea, IL
Years Playing: 18.4
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 2,052
Niced 217 Times in 109 Posts
Default

Long story short I hurt my shoulder couple years ago and went rhfh primarily. I've been trying to get my backhand back, but everything had felt like there was no acceleration and a was throwing off my back foot. Prior to getting hurt I was at the point were I was starting to get consistent 400ft golf lines. Now the only time I really feel any weight shift is throwing a flex line. I tinkered with this drill this morning and everything felt awesome, really felt the left leg driving the weight shift forward and my right hand was stinging (doing it with no disc in hand).

So my question is this. Working backward is there anything else drill wise that I can be doing to help consistently put myself into this correct posture? Any backhand I've thrown the last 2 years has been from a standstill up until the last couple months...I've been trying to get it back by adding the run up back. This morning felt really really good though.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-26-2017, 02:18 AM
KRATC KRATC is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 765
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

So, quick question I have been thinking about for a while now. Naturally, my feet do not point parallel to each other when standing still. In fact, when I make them face that way, it's uncomfortable. They make more a "V" with the heels being closer and toes being more apart. Would I have to focus on having more of a "closed" foot placement? I am probably over-thinking this.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-26-2017, 10:04 AM
CreemCheese's Avatar
CreemCheese CreemCheese is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Findlay, OH
Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 37
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,029
Niced 227 Times in 136 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRATC View Post
So, quick question I have been thinking about for a while now. Naturally, my feet do not point parallel to each other when standing still. In fact, when I make them face that way, it's uncomfortable. They make more a "V" with the heels being closer and toes being more apart. Would I have to focus on having more of a "closed" foot placement? I am probably over-thinking this.
I'm not the person to give distance tips, maxing at 300'. However, I can speak to joint issues. My hips, knees, and ankles to an extent, all turn out. So much that when sitting on the floor with my legs in front of me, my pinky toes sometimes touch the ground. I was talking to my PT one day about achieving a closed stance, he told me to only go as far as what feels like a good stretch, and be careful about going farther. In my case, he told me if I force my foot too close to 90 away from the basket I could tear ligaments.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-26-2017, 05:06 PM
sidewinder22's Avatar
sidewinder22 sidewinder22 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Creeping Creek DGC
Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 220
Posts: 15,357
Niced 3,042 Times in 1,854 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dehaas View Post
Long story short I hurt my shoulder couple years ago and went rhfh primarily. I've been trying to get my backhand back, but everything had felt like there was no acceleration and a was throwing off my back foot. Prior to getting hurt I was at the point were I was starting to get consistent 400ft golf lines. Now the only time I really feel any weight shift is throwing a flex line. I tinkered with this drill this morning and everything felt awesome, really felt the left leg driving the weight shift forward and my right hand was stinging (doing it with no disc in hand).

So my question is this. Working backward is there anything else drill wise that I can be doing to help consistently put myself into this correct posture? Any backhand I've thrown the last 2 years has been from a standstill up until the last couple months...I've been trying to get it back by adding the run up back. This morning felt really really good though.
Hershyzer, Door Frame pt 3, Crush the Cans.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-26-2017, 05:41 PM
sidewinder22's Avatar
sidewinder22 sidewinder22 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Creeping Creek DGC
Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 220
Posts: 15,357
Niced 3,042 Times in 1,854 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRATC View Post
So, quick question I have been thinking about for a while now. Naturally, my feet do not point parallel to each other when standing still. In fact, when I make them face that way, it's uncomfortable. They make more a "V" with the heels being closer and toes being more apart. Would I have to focus on having more of a "closed" foot placement? I am probably over-thinking this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreemCheese View Post
I'm not the person to give distance tips, maxing at 300'. However, I can speak to joint issues. My hips, knees, and ankles to an extent, all turn out. So much that when sitting on the floor with my legs in front of me, my pinky toes sometimes touch the ground. I was talking to my PT one day about achieving a closed stance, he told me to only go as far as what feels like a good stretch, and be careful about going farther. In my case, he told me if I force my foot too close to 90 away from the basket I could tear ligaments.
I agree with your PT in that you should never feel pain or stretching beyond comfortable in what ever you do. I can see how Crush the Can might not be for you, it is a drill and all drills exaggerate something - alternative is Riding the Bull from Turbo Encabulator and plant however you do naturally to move quickly back and forth, jump back and forth side to side and brace yourself/balance from tipping over, move your lower body from under the upper body like a skier doing moguls or slalom.

However in a pure One Leg Drill there's no weight shift/shearing force/torque from the rear side, so your foot angle should not make a difference safety-wise. Everything should be able to freely glide/pivot over each other.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-26-2017, 07:03 PM
DiscGolfMaster's Avatar
DiscGolfMaster DiscGolfMaster is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Walhalla SC
Years Playing: 17
Courses Played: 56
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 219
Niced 50 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRATC View Post
So, quick question I have been thinking about for a while now. Naturally, my feet do not point parallel to each other when standing still. In fact, when I make them face that way, it's uncomfortable. They make more a "V" with the heels being closer and toes being more apart. Would I have to focus on having more of a "closed" foot placement? I am probably over-thinking this.
I have a similar issue but only with my right foot. When I walk or stand, I naturally have my right foot angled out so when looking down my feet they look kind of like this |/.

I'm not an anatomy expert, but just because your feet are angled out it doesn't mean the rest of the bones in your legs are the same. Meaning your shin bones and femur might be aligned perfectly, even though your feet are telling you otherwise, food for thought.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-07-2017, 10:38 PM
Owensjef Owensjef is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Dayton, OH
Courses Played: 19
Posts: 312
Niced 183 Times in 100 Posts
Default

You leg moves from the hip, your knee has no rotation, and the ankle only a little. Chances are, where your toes point outward, the tibia and femur follow. This puts unnecessary torsion on the joints, causes hip and pelvic alignment issues, and usually low back pain.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-07-2017, 11:17 PM
armiller's Avatar
armiller armiller is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: West Virginia
Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 193
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,217
Niced 715 Times in 466 Posts
Default

Okay. I'm thickheaded and obviously didn't learn from the videos. How do I know I'm doing the one leg drill right or making progress? Please dumb it down for me! Thanks.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
 

  #19  
Old 03-08-2017, 11:05 PM
axion axion is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Courses Played: 2
Posts: 109
Niced 12 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Sidewinder, I have a follow up question. How much weight do I put onto my back leg when doing this? You appear to be moving weight between your front and back leg in the clips at the beginning. I've been attempting to keep 100% of my weight on my front foot, and I can probably only get 100' or so out of my discs.

I'll get a video together, but I wanted to make sure I was doing it right before filming.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Long Distance "Gold Standard" Disc? TripleB Discs 80 05-10-2018 12:38 AM
One Legging It: Backhand Fix Yo'self HyzerUniBomber Technique & Strategy 43 06-02-2017 12:40 AM
Lattitude 64: The GOLD Standard Golden Tuna The Marketplace 1 04-15-2017 09:30 PM
177 Gold Line CORE for 176-179 Gold Line or OPTO PAIN Titanic_Sinks The Marketplace 9 07-14-2012 05:12 AM
GOLD LINE RIVER / 165-167 / GOLD COLORED Dave Walters The Marketplace 2 07-30-2011 04:44 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.