Old 04-13-2015, 02:00 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 83 Times in 65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugheshilton View Post
So I *think* you just said that the "speed" of a disc is no accurate representation of the actual distances you can get out of it (which I agree with) because some discs with a certain rim width fly much farther when given the same amount of power than others with the same rim width.
Yeah, it's based on a person's distance. Most speed 13 discs are going to fly the same for someone who only throws 250 feet. The person who throws below the intended speed of a disc will never see it's true capabilities and true flight.

Quote:
So a Destroyer can handle much MORE power than most speed 12 discs whereas a Vulcan can't handle as much power as most speed 13 discs. Therefore, my conclusion is that "speed" ratings based on rim widths are actually pretty useless for judging how much distance you'll get out of a particular disc.
There are exceptions but I do think one can draw a fairly reasonable conclusion of what a disc is supposed to fly like based on it's rim-width. We know a distance driver is supposed to fly longer than mid-range due to the nature of each disc: one has a larger rim making it more aerodynamic than the other.

I know the difference can be more subtle when we start measuring discs in the same rim-width category. Though, like I said, I think we can get a general idea of how far they can go and what they should fly like.

Quote:
And that's not even mentioning all the variations you get in dome and PLH within the same mold, especially in larger rim widths. I'm sure someone on here will point out that they own a freak overstable Vulcan that is more OS than most Destroyers and can be thrown 500+ feet. .
For sure. Variations, especially in faster, larger rim discs, make it harder to get a better understanding of what they should fly like.

Honestly, I think the cut-off for people using faster the rim-width discs should be around 2.1 or 2.2. Anything beyond that seems like there is a loss of control and distance (controlled distance).
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2015, 03:15 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 37 Times in 35 Posts

I think Hughes explained it pretty well. You really have to have a grasp of several concepts to judge distance potential which is why flight numbers try to describe hss, glide and lss, as well as "speed" which for Innova is rim width, and for lots of other manufacturers seems to be more subjective.

You also have to have an understanding of your own throw. power, spin, angles, and off axis torque.

Then you can sortof gauge how a disc thats rated a certain way is likely to act for you and how far its going to go for you. To mitigate mold inconsistencies try paying attention (as others have mentioned) to the dome and parting line height in addition to the flight numbers.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 50
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

With all the marketing in speed ratings now i think rim width is a much better number to go off of these days, especially when you are comparing across brands.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 30 Times in 27 Posts

The "speed" number is just bs. For some companies speed = rim width (as others have explained), and for some it's a marketing ploy. It's not consistent, and it's not terribly helpful. It just comes down to how a disc works for you, and how far you can throw it.

Old 04-13-2015, 05:09 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 62
Niced 82 Times in 59 Posts

My take on speed, is it's a description of two different things: how fast a disc loses speed, and at what speed it goes from HSS to LSS.

The two biggest factors are rim width and overall height. A Flick is very low profile, so it's a little faster than it's rim width alone would indicate.

What speed is not, is how far a disc will go. Or how much power it can handle. Per the Vulcan vs. Destroyer comparison, at 500', the Vulcan is not as far over it's cruising speed as the Destroyer. However, the Destroyer doesn't have as much turn when it's over cruising speed. The Destroyer will start fading later than the Vulcan. The Vulcan won't fade as hard, though, and will "glide" longer because of that. The Vulcan certainly won't be an "instant roller". It'll just turn in to a roller in 4x less distance of being over cruising speed than a Destroyer (or something like that. Turn and fade ratings are also pretty arbitrary).