Old 03-04-2019, 11:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 632 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningDoc View Post
that might be a bit unfair. for those who can't handle a beefy star destroyer you can use it for utility shots like a firebird.

look at the PD2 mold that eagle and simon throw... thats a ridiculously overstable disc that would normally be stupid for mortals to throw, but can be a great utility disc for a lot of golf lines.

i remember a group of older (not really older but now reaching 40's) sponsored players (The Frizzaks) back where I learned how to play in Connecticut who actually built up their distance throwing overstable champ firebirds for field work.

i know there's a lot of issues that could be had from doing that but thats the way they learned and built up their arms for it and its weird because you end up seeing that by learning how to throw distance with such overstable discs in practice they also learned how to throw distance with flippy stuff like beat in rocs/comets/teebirds too. so depending on the conditions they learned the disc angles and throwing planes to throw far wether it be with a flippy leopard or a meathook PD2.

it is kind of impressive to see them just ask what the disc does "what is this? a PD2? overstable? a speed 12 firebird?" and then proceed to throw 400ft with it then quickly throw something flippy like a super beat in 12x teebird just as far.

Disclaimer: they all threw 95% backhand as what most pros did back in the mid-late 90's would do.

I find this theory interesting. I'm almost tempted to try it sometime. Go out to the field with 10 various overstable discs (probably Firebirds to Apes or XCals) and just throw those. I reckon I'd be frustrated at first, but after a while would probably learn the right release angles to start gaining distance with overstable stuff.

Usually with field work I tend to throw flippier stuff.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 03-05-2019, 12:21 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 160 Times in 87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I find this theory interesting. I'm almost tempted to try it sometime. Go out to the field with 10 various overstable discs (probably Firebirds to Apes or XCals) and just throw those. I reckon I'd be frustrated at first, but after a while would probably learn the right release angles to start gaining distance with overstable stuff.

look at Anthon. he's got great power but not otherwordly eagle/simon/mcbeth power but often throws super overstable stuff like excals for distance lines just as well as them but will also throw super flippy stuff for distance because he knows the angles.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:36 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 68
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 109 Times in 59 Posts

Quote:

More likely, instead of learning the right angles to throw power hyzers, you'll roll your wrist to force anny angle to get more distance. Just like we see most modern amateur discers as they emulate pros disc choices.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:23 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,831 Times in 1,372 Posts

Quote:
i know there's a lot of issues that could be had from doing that but thats the way they learned and built up their arms for it and its weird because you end up seeing that by learning how to throw distance with such overstable discs in practice they also learned how to throw distance with flippy stuff like beat in rocs/comets/teebirds too. so depending on the conditions they learned the disc angles and throwing planes to throw far wether it be with a flippy leopard or a meathook PD2.
Quote:

Quote:
look at Anthon. he's got great power but not otherwordly eagle/simon/mcbeth power but often throws super overstable stuff like excals for distance lines just as well as them but will also throw super flippy stuff for distance because he knows the angles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjman View Post
More likely, instead of learning the right angles to throw power hyzers, you'll roll your wrist to force anny angle to get more distance. Just like we see most modern amateur discers as they emulate pros disc choices.
A few years ago at Worlds (2016?) when Nikko Locastro was in the hunt, he was throwing some nice flex shots with overstable discs for distance. So it's a viable thing to do. It can also be a bad habit by amateurs that have to un-learn those bad habits that can be developed from doing that.

TL;DR: anyone can find use for a Destroyer (even for putting ), but that doesn't mean everyone should do so.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
A few years ago at Worlds (2016?) when Nikko Locastro was in the hunt, he was throwing some nice flex shots with overstable discs for distance. So it's a viable thing to do. It can also be a bad habit by amateurs that have to un-learn those bad habits that can be developed from doing that.

TL;DR: anyone can find use for a Destroyer (even for putting ), but that doesn't mean everyone should do so.
I agree. I'd like to mess around with Firebirds and such in the field, but I also don't want to develop bad habits trying to torque over something really overstable to make it fly on an S curve.

I throw some really overstable stuff on the course, but almost never practice with those discs in the field.

It isn't like I'm going to forget how to throw hyzerflips or something.

Old 03-06-2019, 12:37 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,831 Times in 1,372 Posts

Quote:
I agree. I'd like to mess around with Firebirds and such in the field, but I also don't want to develop bad habits trying to torque over something really overstable to make it fly on an S curve.

I throw some really overstable stuff on the course, but almost never practice with those discs in the field.

It isn't like I'm going to forget how to throw hyzerflips or something.
I recently took out a bunch of my most overstable discs, the Zone, AvX3, Cro, Rat, Hornet Jennifer Allen Teebird, Exodus, 150g Champ Banshee, 165g Champ Banshee, and Sexton Firebird. I was trying to determine which if any would be best for shorter range shots around obstacles. Should I power down on a Banshee? Or throw a Cro or Hornet a bit harder on a hyzer line? etc. etc.

Unfortunately rain interrupted my testing, but early throws indicated that the harder I threw one of the mids, the straighter it went with less fade. I'm going to do more testing of that (probably sans any Destroyers), and see what maximizes efficiency of my bag.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:57 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 718 Times in 346 Posts

The 2019 Philo Brathwaite Destroyers are now up at the Innova Pro Shop.

https://proshop.innovadiscs.com/star...ur-series.html

Old 06-07-2019, 10:08 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 53
Niced 161 Times in 84 Posts

Anyone throw a heimburg?
Old 06-09-2019, 10:12 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 53
Niced 161 Times in 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusch_bag View Post
Anyone throw a heimburg?
For whatever reason I bought a couple. Probably in my head, but the rim feels a tick wider on these than the Rickys I have been throwing. They seem faster too. On the overstable side of the Destroyer spectrum, but they do have some dome and seem to go pretty far despite being overstable. I like the flight and put one in my bag, but it won't be my main destroyer for my arm speed.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusch_bag View Post
For whatever reason I bought a couple. Probably in my head, but the rim feels a tick wider on these than the Rickys I have been throwing. They seem faster too. On the overstable side of the Destroyer spectrum, but they do have some dome and seem to go pretty far despite being overstable. I like the flight and put one in my bag, but it won't be my main destroyer for my arm speed.
I think the discs Innova makes specifically for pros are a tad bit different than stock models. I know I have a few "player's model" discs that don't fly anything like their regular counterparts.

I know if I were an Innova sponsored player I'd want Destroyers that were domier and less overstable than the McBeth ones. Those things are bricks.