Old 01-16-2014, 11:21 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,037 Times in 528 Posts

Look at that beautiful rainbow stamp. That alone makes this disc worth purchasing.

I tested the 177g Alias against two of my trustiest discs; my N Tangent, and N Axis. The Alias feels more like the Tangent, and has a decent amount of glide for my noodly arm.

It's a bit shorter than the Axis, but the flight is very similar. Compared to the Tangent it's noticeably more stable. Where the Tangent wants to turn a bit on my drives, then fade gently back, the Alias is dead straight with a slight fade. I would say it has the same fade as the Axis, with maybe a small hint more HSS. But the Axis I threw is also seasoned a bit. So fresh out of the box these discs might be too close to call for throwers like me.

The Alias is basically a Tangent, that flies like an Axis. If that makes sense. It has the same distance as a Tangent, but follows the Axis' stability. I also remember my Tangent having less glide when it was new, so the Alias also wins by a small margin in that category.

It's a great, versatile disc. I was throwing some FH shots too, and it performed nicely. Smooooth, and able to handle a little OAT. I want to take this disc out for a one disc round, to see how it putts too.

The Alias would make a great addition to a player's bag who needs a shorter, go-to stable midrange with a seamless, comfortable grip.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2014, 11:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 16
Niced 153 Times in 106 Posts

i have found, after throwing fast mids as my main mids for a while, that i do prefer a slow midrange. it's easier and more accurate for me to throw those 70% shots instead of driving with a putter once things get above 270' or so. this disc is a good thing, but i'm not sure it will be in my bag. my proton tangents already have plenty enough HSS for my taste, though i haven't had time to break one in. they are just beautiful to watch fly and the wind really hasn't bothered me lately. when it does, i throw the vector. we will see, i guess.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 149
Niced 57 Times in 19 Posts

As a committed Tangent thrower who has always gone light on midranges (despite occasional attempts to add a third mold), I'm torn about whether I should try an Alias out. Of course there's no harm in trying, but the list of possible third midranges to add to the overstable-neutral setup I've been sporting basically since day one is very long. I almost feel like a disc would have a better chance making the bag if it replaced one of my present molds than if it sat in between them.

Anyway, I'm torn, and the more I hear the more I'm torn, especially since I'm liking the looks of these.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 217 Times in 94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemilemore View Post
After about 15 or 20 throws with it, I realized what this disc is: An Axis in Tangent form.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
The Alias is basically a Tangent, that flies like an Axis.
Get outta my head, dude.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 16
Niced 153 Times in 106 Posts

[QUOTE]As a committed Tangent thrower who has always gone light on midranges (despite occasional attempts to add a third mold), I'm torn about whether I should try an Alias out. Of course there's no harm in trying, but the list of possible third midranges to add to the overstable-neutral setup I've been sporting basically since day one is very long. I almost feel like a disc would have a better chance making the bag if it replaced one of my present molds than if it sat in between them. /QUOTE]

^ yeah, same. i'm pretty happy with my two midranges, though i haven't been able to get out to the courses where i need to throw a TRULY understable disc yet. if i find the tangent cannot do what i need it to do on those holes, then i'll probably dump it (sadly, because i haven't thrown a midrange this much a round since .. . . EVER) and throw a ______/fuse/vector combo. first candidate to try would definitely be the alias.

hopefully my tangent will beat in to where i need it before i need to use my fuse. i bet my lighter neutron will without a problem, but it's white so it won't be getting any work yet . . .
Old 01-16-2014, 11:56 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 1
Niced 1,037 Times in 528 Posts

Quote:
Get outta my head, dude.
You know, I purposely did not read your review so I wouldn't copy it. And I ended up copying you anyway.

It's pretty sweet though because it just solidifies what we were both thinking.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 122
Niced 481 Times in 303 Posts

Old 01-17-2014, 08:44 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,087 Times in 730 Posts

Quote:
But man, when I had some OAT creep in, it did not appreciate it. I felt like the Axis was a hair more forgiving in that regard, but that's not a bad thing.
curious other tester thoughts on this^

By design the Alias should be less sensitive to oat.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:57 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 60
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
curious other tester thoughts on this^

By design the Alias should be less sensitive to oat.
I think the Alias is more tolerant than the Axis of oat. I can really yank on a couple forhand todayand see which turns and burns worse .

Old 01-17-2014, 10:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 217 Times in 94 Posts

It could have been issues with the rim more than OAT. I need a bit more time with it to really tell, but it felt like OAT to me.