Old 12-11-2018, 04:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,375 Times in 1,521 Posts

I think premium Zones and Harps fly basically the same, but prefer the hand feel of the Zone by a bit.

I've thrown some Champ Rhynos that were crazy OS with zero glide, and some Stars that were a bit more manageable. I don't think stars are as popular so I don't know if they are sometimes weird flying or feeling? But Zone is a solid option.

The Berg is another unique choice...it's not overstable in the same sense that it fades like crazy, but it's very slow and extremely HSS with some consistent LSS. You can throw it hard and it won't go far, but it also won't fade like mad.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 12-11-2018, 05:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 539 Times in 310 Posts

I bag both a Rhyno and Zone.

Most Rhynos I have thrown have no HST, fade reliably, but don't fade too hard. If you season one in they will get a bit more glide but always still want to finish with some fade. I don't throw DX, so I can't say about those, but all my others that are beat in still don't naturally turn even though they have developed more glide/distance before they fade.

Zones certainly have more distance potential than Rhynos and also fade harder. Being that they can go farther and fade hard, they tend to end up further off the original line. If you take something off the Zone, you can pretty easily cover the distance gap between the two discs.

If I had to choose one, it would be the Zone, but I just love the Rhyno so much to pull it from the bag completely. With the variety of plastics you can get the Zone in, it is a much more versatile mold to me. I even throw overhands and forehand rollers with it. Just the best overstable putter/tweener mold ever.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-11-2018, 05:11 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 23
Niced 207 Times in 133 Posts

Pro Pigs from the factory store are pretty amazing, and Bergs are so freaking awesome. Neither, however, have the glide that I believe you are looking for. I think Zone is the right choice, but if you ever want to try out discs that are built for pure accuracy go for a Pig or a Berg.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.1
Courses Played: 76
Niced 173 Times in 106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
The later run of Blizzard Pigs are worlds better than the first releases were.
So are they even close to being flat? I don’t know if I have an older run or newer run Blizzard. My Pig has so much dome I don’t bag it. I like my Pigs flat, if not puddle topped.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:18 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,189 Times in 604 Posts

I just remember grabbing one in a used bin (their rim's unmistakable) and expecting to laugh about the dome, and it wasn't there. I can't remember if it was totally flat or not, but it wasn't the turd the original run was.

Last edited by tbird888; 12-11-2018 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:13 AM
Par Member

Niced 58 Times in 29 Posts

I do have an Aviar3, but it's a puddle-top which I don't dig. It's been fine, but looking for something a little more overstable and flat-top. Are Zones generally flat, and would you consider them to be more stable than a Harp (also in high contention)?
Old 12-12-2018, 02:31 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,375 Times in 1,521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFlight View Post
I do have an Aviar3, but it's a puddle-top which I don't dig. It's been fine, but looking for something a little more overstable and flat-top. Are Zones generally flat, and would you consider them to be more stable than a Harp (also in high contention)?
Yeah Zones are generally flat, the flight plate might bow up slightly on some but there isn't any shoulder and they are supposed to be flat. I hear the puddle top ones are very OS but I've never thrown or handled one.

I've mostly tried ESP Zones and they seemed like a 1:1 flight with Tourney or VIP Harps I have tried. The Harp has a micro bead, I mean it's a small difference, whereas the Zone is just smoother. Again they fly the same to me. I choose the Zone because I think the hand feel is slightly better and my experience is Discraft's plastics beat in slower, which I want in an OS utility disc. I could throw either disc and I'm sure it'd do the same thing for me.

Random pics I found...

Zone is on right, Jokeri just happens to be there too.

And the Harp you can see is just slightly more abrupt shaped but it accomplishes the same thing:

Niced: (1)
Old 12-12-2018, 02:51 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 2
Niced 337 Times in 251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhayes7 View Post
I bag both a Rhyno and Zone.

Most Rhynos I have thrown have no HST, fade reliably, but don't fade too hard. If you season one in they will get a bit more glide but always still want to finish with some fade. I don't throw DX, so I can't say about those, but all my others that are beat in still don't naturally turn even though they have developed more glide/distance before they fade.
I have had 2 R-Pros that turn even given some hyzer. They work amazing in the woods, both BH and FH.

Get a Tourney Harp or ESP Zone. Anything else and you won't have the OS or the glide.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:15 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,817 Times in 1,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFlight View Post
My ESP Zone is flat, and is at least as stable as a Harp. Also, the Aviar3 is not very OS, but the AviarX3 might be more to your liking, and the DX AviarX3s are flat-topped (at least the one I've got right here beside me is...)