Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

Old 05-15-2009, 04:36 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 74
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Question Limited socializing (no clubhouse) limiting disc golf popularity?

Had a thought on the course the other day (and I am a non-ball golfer):

Is part of the ball golf appeal the "clubhouse" aspect? I was wondering if people are drawn to ball golf due to the whole social aspect of going to the clubhouse, hanging out, etc. in addition to just playing.

Disc golf is so much more inexpensive, equipment-wise — even if you had to pay to play. Much lower entry-barrier skill-wise as well.

It got me to thinking that many ball golfers might enjoy to social side of playing a round even more so than actually playing a round.

Since I have never played ball golf, I am just going on hearsay, but it seems it's about not just playing, but also hanging out.

Or maybe it's the "sanctuary" aspect of a ball golf course?

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2009, 04:48 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 163
Niced 2,125 Times in 1,002 Posts

I always thought the appeal of ball golf was that you get to wear plaid pants and pretend your Scottish. Besides, they're is plenty of socializing at the local smoke out hole on the DG course.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18
Courses Played: 131
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I play ball golf to hang out and drink beer. I do that with disc too, but its a different feel and even though Im no good at ball golf, its still fun to go hit that little white bastard around!
Old 05-15-2009, 05:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 112
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Honestly, I meet and talk to more people when I play disc than when I use clubs to hit a ball. In general I think discers are nicer and friendlier people. I think the hinderance might be the reputation Disc has for being a "hippie" sport. I do not think this is an accurate stereotype all the time but I know one of the big issues is that the new disc golf course will bring a bunch of pot smokers to the area. Ball golf on the other hand has a reputation as the gentleman's sport. So go figure right? It is really just a stereotype in both instances. At the same time, disc in its current form has been around hundreds of years less than ball golf, that is the other aspect of it.

Random Fact Of The Day:
The reason that there are 18 holes on golf courses is because the first guys playing golf would run out of scotch by the end of the 18th hole.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 50
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalbotTrojan View Post
Honestly, I meet and talk to more people when I play disc than when I use clubs to hit a ball. In general I think discers are nicer and friendlier people.
I played ball golf for 15yrs, I agree completly.

Ball golf is a completely different enviroment (IMO), especially in the fancy "members only" country clubs with the dress codes, etc. Not all of ball golf is this way, but that environment certainly does exist. I have played on some courses where I just felt way out of place.

I haven't seen anything of the sort in disc golf. Disc golf seems to be more welcoming. I have seen a lot of experienced disc golfers willing to help out a newbie, offer advice, and even donate equipment. You don't really see that sort of thing in ball golf.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 86
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc1time View Post
I play ball golf to hang out and drink beer. I do that with disc too, but its a different feel and even though Im no good at ball golf, its still fun to go hit that little white bastard around!
the whole 19th hole makes it fun too
Old 05-15-2009, 09:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 137
Niced 20 Times in 15 Posts
Send a message via AIM to magictenor1

I am totally not into that aspect. I play for the sport. When I played ball golf I was the same way.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:55 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 163
Niced 2,125 Times in 1,002 Posts

I could care less about the clubhouse thing, I like the underground/grassroots aspect of DG.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:47 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 25.5
Courses Played: 3
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recall a few decades ago when the only black dudes on a stick golf course were the greenskeepers and blacks were not allowed entry into many country clubs across the USA.

Ball Golf was a good old boy sport forever, pre Tiger Woods... and a remake of the image
does not change the fact that most folks in the clubhouses are still good ol boys to this day.

THAT is why they do not talk to the peasants. Most DGers are all from the same socioeconomic group, so sure they interact and speak to each other on the courses.

Them rich folks tend to just look down their nose at you. THAT is why elitist clubhouse sports
are different than a blue collar dope toy sport. They let others in their clubhouses because
they were forced to... not because they WANTED to.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:43 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 155
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
I could care less about the clubhouse thing, I like the underground/grassroots aspect of DG.
me too but.......... wouldn't it be cool to have a (OK lets call it "chill-house" or something along those lines) place on the course where discs are sold, ping pong and pool table, big screen TV, video games, small cafe, beer, stage for music, heck why not even a head shop.... the whole nine yards. A place where you could meet more like-minded (ie. nice) golfers. It could be a haven for brainstorming about future courses, course improvements and such. A place to hang out, mostly.

I would venture to guess that this would most likely have to be on a private course (there is one similar to what I just mentioned in Dripping Springs, TX --minus the head shop)

I know, all of this could be done @ someone casa.... but dern, it sure is difficult to organize a bunch of hippies

Another side note: I think that disc golf being an "underground" sport is quickly becoming a thing of the past.....the sport is growing at such a fast pace.... this is most definately not to say that we can't keep it functioning on a local level. JMHO