Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 05-17-2009, 07:59 PM

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 26
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Needing some more good discs for disc golf. Suggestions?

I have been playing for several years but I am not all that great. I throw a sidearm for my first throw and usually backhand after that. I just lost my Archangel distance driver and a Cheetah fairway driver.

Any suggestions for my style? I am not that great so that's what one should know too. I was thinking about getting a pro or a champion. I have always had a DX or the ones with the graphics on them. I want a driver, fairway or midrange, and a putter.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2009, 08:05 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 5
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to zbyrd

I'd grab a champion leopard, which will serve your driving needs, a DX roc, and a gateway wizard. You could just grab one of the first two and you'd be okay. Those discs will really teach you the ins and outs of your game and you'll be shooting better before you know it. They'd be a big improvement over the discs you had.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:10 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 227
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 15 Times in 6 Posts

For beginners I would suggest a Discraft ESP Flx SS Avenger. Great distance or fairway disc for beginners throwing backhand. Midrange a esp flx buzz or Roc and for putter a Gateway Wizard or my favorite Aviar Putt and Approach.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:16 PM

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 26
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks a lot guys, so you think these would be the best for me? I am not really a beginner, just need to improve tremendously!

EDIT: I just looked but noticed a leopard is not a distance driver?
Old 05-17-2009, 08:16 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 39
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would go with a champion beast for a driver - it's a great disc to learn on, and the champion plastic will last you for a long time. For a midrange, I wouldn't recommend the Roc if you don't play a lot. The Roc is a great disc, but it can be tricky to learn how to control it if you aren't an advanced player. I would go with a Shark - it's easy to control and you can use it for all kinds of shots. As for a putter, I would recommend a DX Aviar. It's a good, cheap, reliable putter that will last a long time.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:45 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 5
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to zbyrd

People buy discs that are way too much for them a lot of the time. Maybe a valk would be better than a leopard if you really feel you can throw it fast enough. In case you don't know, the faster discs will act incredibly overstable if not thrown to their full speed. When a disc is the longest distance driver, that just means it is capable of those distances. Generally, the longer a disc will fly, the more capable a player must be to get consistency out of it. Otherwise, it will just be useless.

Think of it in terms of cars. Though a corvette is capable of driving much faster than a miata, your average driver will have much more difficulty getting anything from it because it is too much for them to handle. It would be more appropriate to drive a sensible car. The same logic applies with drivers.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 86
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

my friend forearms a boss quite well, as well as his go to is a tee bird. mid range i forarm a roc like no ones business, and putter stick with a voodoo, magnet or dart (my fav)
Old 05-17-2009, 09:38 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 19
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would strongly suggest a TeeBird for your FH off the tee, a Discraft Buzz for a mid-range and an Aviar for a putter. The TeeBird should fly nice, straight and give you plenty of distance but still show you if you are over torquing the disc. The Buzz is a really easy mid-range to learn and performs predictably. I suggest the FLX plastic but it is your choice. You really can't go wrong with the Aviar. Like so many others I started out with discs that were a little too fast for me and I had to "grow" into them. I just recently picked up a Valkyrie and was pleased with the results (RHBH). I wouldn't suggest picking up a really fast disc. The difficulty ratings on DiscGolfCenter.com are a good guide.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:09 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 18
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I am not a forehand thrower but my friend really launches his Surge ESP, and it is always straight if he keeps it low enough.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:12 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 17.1
Courses Played: 10
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I humbly suggest a Valkyrie for a forehander, with a Teebird for long backhands, a Roc for a middie, as far as putters...well, that you must learn for yourself an Avair is solid, but I hear about Wizards, Magnets, loaf of bread, really man,a putter is a personal thing like a tattoo. choose wisely.
Just my two cents...