Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 08-22-2012, 10:58 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 36
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I really don't know...just know that I don't like dyed discs...Hot stamps..YES.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2012, 11:37 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 183
Niced 18 Times in 11 Posts

I apologize in advance for the thread drift....

Although I don't have an answer to the OP, I thought this would be a good opportunity to show off my Zing Mini.

I only have 5 or 6 left out of the original 100. Everybody loves them! Any expectant parents/disc golfers should consider these instead of a box of cigars.

Thanks again Craig!!!!

And now, back to your regularly scheduled programming....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Max's first disc.jpg (102.6 KB, 56 views)
Old 08-22-2012, 03:23 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

as a nerd and an engineer, I have actually put quite a bit of thought into what does/doesn't effect the flight path of a disc. I cant say for sure because there are aspects of the aerodynamics i'm still playing around with but here is what ive come up with so far. feel free to fill in any gaps or incorrect pieces i have posted

There are a few obvious things that come to mind on this topic

a driver is partially an airfoil, it creates its own lift from horizontal motion. and technically anything that slows the current of air over the top of the disc would essentially cause it to create less lift and fly shorter.

However the area where this would most impact its flight characteristic would be on the visible profile of the disc when laying flat.

additionally the imprints caused by hot stamping are very insignificant in depth and much like a golf ball would create a pocket of air in them that keeps that drag to a minimum.

I personally think that hitting one tree or even one spike hyzer might cause more change to the flight characteristic than the hotstamp. I would also think that the difference in humidity and barametric pressure / elevation would account for more variation in the flight of the same disc versus the hot stamp

dyeing discs

if the dye does add weight (i weigh all mine also and have never seen more than 1 g in difference which i usually attribute to the goo gone i didn't completely remove) then it could effect the flight path since the distribution of that weight would be in the dome of the disc instead of the rim.

if your seeing a substantial flight change, i would look closely at the dome to see if it flattened out during the process. this happens if you use to high of heat or cool it down quickly with higher water pressure (made that mistake on my first few dyes, but it is a neat trick to make a favorite mold of a disc more stable)

i look forward to hearing other peoples thoughts on this, like i said i'm a nerd and like trying to figure this stuff out.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:45 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had read in another thread a while ago that the hotstamp process can somtimes shrink or depress the dome on a domey disc similar to the way people use boiling water to make flat-top discs. That would surely affect the flight.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 21 Times in 17 Posts

ching rocs. nuf said.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 55
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGlass01 View Post
ching rocs. nuf said.
Must have missed this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAMson View Post
the stamping/decal process didn't alter their flight.... going through a flattening machine to prep for the decal process, now THAT changed them a lot.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:53 PM
^Has PhD in Disc-Artistry

Niced 124 Times in 62 Posts

please refer to pablo.diablo quote in my sig
Old 08-22-2012, 08:26 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 35.1
Courses Played: 36
Niced 25 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelocityDiscs View Post
as a nerd and an engineer, I have actually put quite a bit of thought into what does/doesn't effect the flight path of a disc.
I am not an engineer and my nerd qualifications are debatable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelocityDiscs View Post
a driver is partially an airfoil, it creates its own lift from horizontal motion. and technically anything that slows the current of air over the top of the disc would essentially cause it to create less lift and fly shorter.
I heard about lift differently. I thought lift was created when the air under the disc moves faster than the air on top of the disc. So if you slowed the air current on top of the disc without slowing the air current on the bottom, wouldn't that increase lift?

But to address the original question, I've thrown some bottom stamped discs and they flew basically the same as discs stamped on top. This would seem to indicate the hot stamp process has minimal impact on how a disc flies.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:03 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny View Post
I heard about lift differently. I thought lift was created when the air under the disc moves faster than the air on top of the disc. So if you slowed the air current on top of the disc without slowing the air current on the bottom, wouldn't that increase lift?
nope

self--> nerd yes, engineer no.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:47 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 35.9
Courses Played: 148
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Not so much.... Back in USAF flight school (and earlier in physics), they taught us Bernoulli's principle, which says that as the speed of a fluid (air) is increased, its' pressure decreases. The air moving over the top of a wing (or disc) must travel farther (because of its shape) than the air going under the wing. So the speed increases, the pressure drops and creates lift.

The hot stamping process can create small ridges, grooves, valleys, etc. that would create variable turbulance as they rotate on the top of the wing/disc. Turbulance = drag. Drag = less distance and/or a change in flight path. Now, these changes are likely very small and the variation induced by your throwing motion is probably going to have more impact on the flight than these tiny variables!

Zing Minis Rock!