Old 10-21-2020, 05:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,437 Times in 714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasissouth View Post
Imagine a multi-day teams match play tournament separated by brand?
A kind of Manufacturer's Cup or something. I bet they'd be too cowardly to ever do it.
That'd be really awesome actually! It'd probably never happen, but still. Who'd you pick as the favorite in that? Might be worth it's own thread with a poll.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2020, 06:45 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 484 Times in 300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
That'd be really awesome actually! It'd probably never happen, but still. Who'd you pick as the favorite in that? Might be worth it's own thread with a poll.
God it would be such a toss up. I guess top 5/2 would go?

Prodigy: Jones, Dickerson, Seppo, Leiviska, Orum | Allen, Young

Discraft: Two Pauls, Hannum, Fish?, Hammes? | Pierce, King

Innova: Ricky, Heimburg, Conrad, Sexton, Koling? Anthon? Barsby? Gurthie? | Blomroos, Salonen

Discmania: Eagle, Simon, Klein? Montgomery? Perkins? Piironen? | Pennington, Tυugjas?

Discmania and Discraft are very top heavy but those top players are heavyweights. Discmania's lack of women pros would hurt it, I think Discraft would get a huge boost from their women picks.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-21-2020, 08:38 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 46.5
Courses Played: 427
Niced 2,296 Times in 1,094 Posts

I might be more interested in seeing the players chosen only from the lowest level of sponsorship. Including celebrities. That might also take some of the "pride on the line" risk out of it, letting it actually happen.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,976 Times in 1,174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasissouth View Post
Imagine a multi-day teams match play tournament separated by brand?
A kind of Manufacturer's Cup or something. I bet they'd be too cowardly to ever do it.
I have investigated this a little in the past. Does not seem overly likely. (of course, raise a ton of money and it would happen)
Old 10-22-2020, 07:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.Luke View Post
There is at least one longstanding match play event in disc golf. The Virginia Team Invitational has been played for nearly twenty years.

Biscoe can provide the details.
There are longer running ones than VTI (San Diego and Sandy Point are where I cribbed a lot of ideas). IMO Team Match Play is the single most enjoyable format I have participated in in disc golf.

Next year I am starting a statewide Virginia Match Play event for individual play. It will have multiple qualifier events, moving up the ladder, etc. there will be some charity tie in and I hope we can get 300 players or so to participate over the course of things.

Niced: (3)

Old 10-22-2020, 08:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeonDwindle View Post
Match play seems to work very well on the 'smaller' level, Virginia Team Golf, Club Championships and San Diego Team Golf are disc golf examples; there's myriad examples from
Golf as well. It could be that the stakes in these events are of a different sort - shared tribal pride and team building, which rewards participation across a selection of players.
Very accurate assessment from my perspective having run VTI for almost 20 years and Old Dominion Club Championship (basically VTI for Ams) for 6. I would really love to see the team match play between clubs catch on alsewhere. it is a great mechanism for helping build the most important entities in dg (the clubs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeonDwindle View Post
It seems that a minimum guarantee of a certain amount of play could be a sticking point, certainly for traveling players and for the self-aware bottom halves of fields...'Losers' bracket?
Accurate as well. With the ODCC i have a varying number of teams each year so have to sort of recreate the format every time- getting enough play for those not winning is usually the most difficult hurdle there.