Old 10-29-2020, 02:31 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 36.8
Courses Played: 77
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 127 Times in 37 Posts
Default Proud Disc Golf Dad

So I registered my son when he was born (PDGA #26754). He threw some in the backyard over the years but has lately started to get more into it. 3 baskets on 2.5 acres and he's been throwing a lot the last few months. He is 15 now and a few weeks ago asked me to take him to the local course and he shot pretty well. Just did 9 holes but scored +3. Not bad. Kid does a lot of putting in the yard even turns on the flood light for night putting. 3 weeks ago he wanted to go to the course and birdied hole #1 and finished +4 for 18 holes. He said he wants to try a mini event "Just to see where he stacks up against other players". Damn, that made me feel good. Kid is a natural athlete so maybe he'll do something special.

Look out West Texas and beyond, there's a new player, hungry to eat courses!
Sponsored Links

Old 10-29-2020, 10:54 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 7
Niced 1,492 Times in 730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rock View Post
So I registered my son when he was born (PDGA #26754). He threw some in the backyard over the years but has lately started to get more into it. 3 baskets on 2.5 acres and he's been throwing a lot the last few months. He is 15 now and a few weeks ago asked me to take him to the local course and he shot pretty well. Just did 9 holes but scored +3. Not bad. Kid does a lot of putting in the yard even turns on the flood light for night putting. 3 weeks ago he wanted to go to the course and birdied hole #1 and finished +4 for 18 holes. He said he wants to try a mini event "Just to see where he stacks up against other players". Damn, that made me feel good. Kid is a natural athlete so maybe he'll do something special.

Look out West Texas and beyond, there's a new player, hungry to eat courses!
Theres nothing better than that!!! My son is 5 and loves to come play with me. It's a fantastic feeling!
Old 11-01-2020, 01:49 AM
Par Member

Niced 78 Times in 39 Posts

Dang John, he was in a stroller last time I saw him. Chip off the old Rock!

Old 11-01-2020, 10:22 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 31.5
Courses Played: 151
Niced 810 Times in 295 Posts

Me too, John! I've got an 11-year-old son who is matching me on distance just now and shooting some sanctioned rounds in the low 800's.

I always invited him and his older sister along for casual rounds any time they wanted with no expectations. Go explore in the woods any time you want or throw with me any time you want. Keep score if you want or don't. When I was throwing practice shots in the field behind our house they would come out and goof off with me for ten minutes then go play something else. That's fine. Yes, I had an ulterior motive to hook them to the sport, but I was going to do it the right way. Fun first, and fun second too. No marine corps drill sergeant stuff here like you see in the other sports where kids burn out and end up hating the game. That doesn't align at all with my Frisbeetarian beliefs.

Fast forward to about September of 2018, and one day my 9-year-old boy greeted me after work and stated he'd figured out how to throw a Disc on his own in the field. Something had clicked. Sure enough, he had a full and decent RHBH for someone his age and suddenly was hooked. Mwu ha ha ha ha ha!!!

Two of his friends in the neighborhood also took notice of how much fun he was having and how cool our Discs are and have joined him routinely. One of them got a lot better and addicted too and got an MVP Black Hole for his birthday, so now we have two baskets in the field out there.

This year my son wanted his PDGA number, so I obliged, and got him playing in some sanctioned events. #138688. He's doing great, improved over 100 ratings points from about the 680-720 range to the 800-820 range in just two months. He learned how to putt better in that span and that made a huge difference. MJ-12 division whenever it's offered.

This has made my heart swell, and is the most gratifying thing for me in my Disc Golf life going back over 30 years. And we're just getting started! One of these days he's going to beat me in a round. A few times I've only beaten him by five strokes. It's inevitable. I ain't getting any younger; that's for sure.

Here are a couple of clips. We took a trip to Hudson Mills during my recent vacation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqYIjIX57U0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7ZyPw2pMxg

Niced: (3)

Last edited by Central Scrutinizer; 11-01-2020 at 10:25 AM.