Courses Played: 250
Niced 432 Times in 183 Posts

Flip's psychic energy: unparalleled.
Sponsored Links

Old Today, 09:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 632
Niced 2,697 Times in 1,518 Posts

speaking of which i cant remember what ever happened to flyboy avation course i think it was called its now extinct but was supposed to be awesome
Old Today, 09:20 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 31.4
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 613 Times in 252 Posts

I've been playing Flip City since baskets first went in sometime in the late 1990's. Back then, it was one of the best of the best anywhere. And that included all dozen courses along the I-96 and I-94 corridors across the entire state. Wild Haven's "Wild" and I put in McGraft Park right about the same time, and on my "1989DiscGolfer" YouTube channel you can watch me (at age 26) and Bill playing Flip City in 1999. Bill told me Wild and I were among some of the first to ever play the basket version.

My parents met in 1970 about 7 or 8 miles away at a lake cottage resort and they go back multiple times a summer to this day. It's an excuse for me to both visit them and get me some Flip City time too. What I really wish is that I knew Bill had his object course there going back to 1980. I could've played it with Frisbees had I known this!

I love Flip City. One of my all-time favorites. And I've always agreed it's too easy to be a 5.

I won't give a review of it for several reasons. One of the big ones is I don't want to be some sort of Michigan pariah for not giving it a 5. I love Bill and I love Flip City. A lot. When somebody like me who never played MPO can shoot even par, it's not challenging enough to be a 5 in my opinion. (I'm not shooting even there anymore what with my advancing age and the more challenging upgrades over the years. Shot a 75 recently, but that's as good as it gets). Secondly, I won't be adding anything new to what's already been reviewed. Lately I only want to review something if it would help people make a decision to play it or not, like I did with Three Rivers' new Armstrong Park. My review actually added something tangible to the mix. Any review I could give Flip wouldn't, plus all sorts of people would be pissed I didn't give it a 5.

There's also the problem that I've already given other places too high of ratings when I first did this and now my personal ratings system on here is out of whack. I'd better just take it easy and only pitch in when it helps (as is the case with my Armstrong review).

There's no point in me reviewing it, unless I'd done it 20 years ago, and back then I would've said there is nothing finer. It was true back then. Now the sport has exploded and instead of a dozen courses along I-94 and I-96 we have hundreds and there are Idlewilds and Harmony Bendses in the world. I haven't played them, and I wouldn't want to say Flip is the same celing score as them. Etc.

But at the same time, it always warms my heart to see Bill's course on the front page of this website. I root for it to stay there.

Go play Flip. Enjoy the 5-star vibes and splendor. Enjoy the 4.5 game play as well. You won't regret it. And go ahead and run those putts on the elevated basket. I dare you. If Marwede can, why can't I?

Niced: (2)
Old Today, 09:40 AM
<------ [YOUR AD HERE]

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 250
Niced 432 Times in 183 Posts

Well said, and I highly recommend people check out Central Scrutinizer's Flip video...super awesome analog goodness!!

Flip City is kinda like a historical time capsule. Yes there are more difficult, etc. courses out there...people have had literally decades of course design and disc aerodynamics improvements with which to make Flip "obsolete."

It would be like taking a tour of a museum and literally stepping back into the past.

I can understand why people with no imaginations, heart, or feel for such things could look at it and go "Pfft."

But that's their loss, not ours, or Bill's.

Niced: (1)

Old Today, 09:41 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,157 Times in 2,010 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
speaking of which i cant remember what ever happened to flyboy avation course i think it was called its now extinct but was supposed to be awesome
It was withdrawn from this site, but it's still there and available on a very limited basis. The withdrawal was due to popularity; they can't accommodate the number of people the listing drew.

It was and is awesome. Though, perhaps like Flip City (which I've never visited), part of the awesomeness is its vibe.