Old 05-11-2020, 01:22 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 846 Times in 513 Posts
Default Putters Anonymous

I think I have a problem and need to join a club or something. There have to be other people out there with the same problem, right? And that problem is that I love putter molds.

Envies. Judges. Proxies. Bergs. Crowns. Colts. Heck, even discs that barely qualify as putters like Zones. They're all good in their own special way. How does one decide on just one or two to bag?

My fairway drivers stay pretty much the same. Ditto with midranges. My distance drivers fluctuate, but that's because I hate them all (well...if I'm being honest i just hate the results I get). Not the same as my putter problem -- I LOVE them all.

Maybe you're like me. Do you find great joy in piping an Aviar down a tunnel while your buddy throws his Destroyer into the junk? Do you struggle to whittle your bag down to just 4 or 5 putter molds? Do you man crush on James Conrad's beautiful style, and say "meh" to Eagle smashing on a Max? If so, know you are not alone! The struggle is real, but we can get through this together. We are Putters Anonymous.
Sponsored Links

Old 05-11-2020, 01:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 85
Niced 624 Times in 324 Posts

I use the rule of 3. 1 for OS duites, 1 for straight shots, and 1 for US duties. I feel if you have more than that you are overlapping too much. You should be able to produce all shot shapes with those 3 molds.

Mvp/Axiom putters confuse my bag. They go so damn far i sometimes have to choose between a mvp putter and a fairway driver.

Old 05-11-2020, 01:56 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 41
Niced 846 Times in 513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney View Post
I use the rule of 3. 1 for OS duites, 1 for straight shots, and 1 for US duties. I feel if you have more than that you are overlapping too much. You should be able to produce all shot shapes with those 3 molds.

Mvp/Axiom putters confuse my bag. They go so damn far i sometimes have to choose between a mvp putter and a fairway driver.
I made this thread with tongue planted firmly in cheek, but I do love lots of putter molds. Right now I'm bagging a Zone for OS, and Judges for all other driving and putting. I added a Berg a month ago for upshots and driving on really short holes, since the gap between a Berg and a normal putter is abut the same for me as my gap between a putter and a mid. So I do currently prescribe to your 3 mold strategy, just in a slightly different way.

That being said, I was doing field work this evening with a stack of putters in various molds, and it was hard not to put them all in the bag afterwards. And you are so right on the gyro putters. They are great, but the don't play nice with the rest of my bag. I was smashing on a Proxy tonight better than anything else -- just a long straight throw with no turn and negligible fade.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-11-2020, 07:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,968 Times in 858 Posts

I love throwing putters too.

One of my favorite things to do is go to my local 9 hole pitch and putt with 4 different putter molds, play them all keeping score. You learn what you can really do with a putter that way. Yesterday I played a round with a Nova, Pa2, Rhyno and an Aviar P&A, along with my putting putter. It's a very satisfying way to play sometimes.

It was messing with my putting a bit though, so this year I also bring my normal putting putter too and all normal putts are done with it. Also increases my putting practice because I'm always putting from different distances and angles.

Thing is, when I have a good round with something (like yesterday with the Pa2), I go wow! maybe I should try some in a different plastic? So, I go home and load up an online order cart with excitement! I think about it for a while and just empty the cart. I don't need any more freaking putters! Or do I?

Old 05-11-2020, 08:10 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 196 Times in 97 Posts

This is a problem I need to develop. More putters? Yes. Then I need to go play putter vs putter rounds like Keller suggested.

Is it me or do putters that have had the crap beat out of them rule? Last summer a friend found an old caved in base plastic Zone. He gets awesome consistent distance from it.

Old 05-11-2020, 09:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,585 Times in 792 Posts

I thought this was going to be a club for people who constantly switched putters, this is a nice surprise actually. I love throwing putters but don't carry very many. Basically just have a steady and a breaker for throwing, but I use them whenever I can

Old 05-11-2020, 10:45 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1,209 Times in 996 Posts

I do not Switch Putter molds for putting but is 3 molds too many putters? One for Uphill/Downhill #2 Upshot in Prostyle at 166 grams originally, then Magnet in Jawbreaker 175 grams, and finally Proline Titanic 173-174 grams originally mostly for temps over 90 f, tight gap putts to save the Jawbreaker Magnet's, and Proline Titanic discs are for slight higher winds 25 mph to 30 mph all these uses as long as temps are over 50 F or the smooth part on the discs outer makes the Proline Titanic hard to grip.
Old 05-11-2020, 11:26 PM
Licensed to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations.

Years Playing: 22.7
Courses Played: 65
Niced 114 Times in 62 Posts

I totally would carry like 8 putter molds if I had a larger bag than a Grip C.
I’m trying to carry a true mid now though, so my 3 are Berg, Pilot, and Polecat.

Niced: (2)
Old 05-12-2020, 09:05 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 24
Niced 835 Times in 360 Posts

I too love putters.

I finally got it down to 3 molds.

Pig, P2, Omega SS

I could play almost any course and score the same as my full bag with just those molds. 5 total discs.

Some courses I might even shoot better. Idlewild for example.

Old 05-12-2020, 10:12 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 7
Niced 162 Times in 86 Posts

I bag 6 putters in 4 molds.

Pilot, strictly for putting.
Lightning Upshot, for lid things.
Opto Pure, main driving and approach putter.
Zero Medium Pure, for shots that I don't want to fade as much and shots that might go in the water.
Megasoft Pure, for turnovers, hyzerflips, and upshots that need to stick.
Zone.