Old 08-05-2018, 11:19 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 76 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animage View Post
Sorry for the later quoting of this, but where does the Mantis lie in this equation? My 175 z sting from first throw flies like a shorter beat in lighter leopard. turnover from flat release at my ****ty 300 ft distance. I don't have an undertaker yet, and I remember my mantis being a fun disc that moved fresh leopards out of my bag at one point, but Im hazy on the details. Discraft puts the undertaker at a 9 speed and sting at a 6? I hate all the flight ratings haha.
As a Mantis thrower with only a little more power than you I will tell you my impressions.
My current control driver setup is Sting - Mantis - Vulture.
For me the Sting is like a flippy Leopard that seldom burns. It is consistent at turning and I like this. The Sting replaces the X Mantis that was erratic (but could really fly sometimes).
The Mantis, in premium plastics, is my straight flyer. I prefer straight shots, so it is a favorite. Its achilles heal is headwind. I was using the Undertaker for the wind until...
The Vulture with its glide and fade has been a wonderful disc for me. In headwinds it will actually fly like the Mantis when thrown flat (this was a surprise). It is consistently longer than my Undertaker so it replaces it.

So where does the Mantis lie? Well for those of us who throw 300-350' it is a straight disc. For those with more power, then I suspect the Undertaker will be their straight disc. One man's opinion.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)

Last edited by PeterMonk; 08-05-2018 at 11:21 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 20
Niced 349 Times in 198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMonk View Post
As a Mantis thrower with only a little more power than you I will tell you my impressions.
The Mantis, in premium plastics, is my straight flyer. I prefer straight shots, so it is a favorite.

Have you ever thrown the original prototype (ace race) Mantis that was in titanium? I ask because it has been my go to thumber disc for the past year and its stability seemed perfectly in sync with my arm speed. But either my arm is getting more powerful or my disc is beating in or both and I'm picking up almost equal distance from my lucid verdict (os midrange) on thumbers. I wanted to replace my titanium Mantis but heard that the new ones are redesigned to be less overstable than the ace race version and I wondered if you had experience with both versions...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-05-2018, 11:54 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 31
Niced 76 Times in 51 Posts

Sorry, I never tried the Ace Race version of the Mantis. I can report that the current version in Titanium has more glide than other plastics, but isn't more stable. Thinking out loud, I wonder if a Titanium Undertaker may fit the bill for you.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:00 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 20
Niced 349 Times in 198 Posts

I'm hoping to grow into my z-flx machete. Til then, my ace race Mantis is generally reliable. And really, thumbers are kind of a specialty shot that I tend to overuse because it's a safe shot with a predictable range. Of course, now I have my wacky aerobie epic to toy with on that shot. I'll give that undertaker some consideration though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2018, 10:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 46
Niced 5,208 Times in 2,176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animage View Post
Sorry for the later quoting of this, but where does the Mantis lie in this equation? My 175 z sting from first throw flies like a shorter beat in lighter leopard. turnover from flat release at my ****ty 300 ft distance. I don't have an undertaker yet, and I remember my mantis being a fun disc that moved fresh leopards out of my bag at one point, but Im hazy on the details. Discraft puts the undertaker at a 9 speed and sting at a 6? I hate all the flight ratings haha.
I would put the Mantis right between the two stability wise, but it's noticeably faster than either for me.

For my arm:

Mantis = Valkyrie
Undertaker = TL (fresh TL, straight with fade)
Sting = feels like a Leo and flies like a Dx Leopard

I wouldn't give the Undertaker a 9 speed, the rim is more Teebird sized...the Sting is definitely a speed 6.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 46
Niced 5,208 Times in 2,176 Posts

Gotta say I'm really digging my Discraft setup right now:

JB Banger GTs x 2

Z Comet x 2 - seasoned/fresh pair

Big Z Sting
Big Z Undertaker

Big Z Predator

Old 08-06-2018, 10:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,585 Times in 792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMonk View Post
So where does the Mantis lie? Well for those of us who throw 300-350' it is a straight disc. For those with more power, then I suspect the Undertaker will be their straight disc. One man's opinion.
This is a pretty accurate assessment. I tried making the mantis my workhorse fairway but it's home in my bag is next to the undertaker for a turnover driver. I throw a Ti Mantis for this slot, as I've found the big Z get squirrely when beat in.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 29
Niced 23 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
This is a pretty accurate assessment. I tried making the mantis my workhorse fairway but it's home in my bag is next to the undertaker for a turnover driver. I throw a Ti Mantis for this slot, as I've found the big Z get squirrely when beat in.
I grabbed a super flat big z and an amazing gummy domey regular z. The store had no undertakers less than max weight so I had to pass. Can’t wait for this rain to end in wisco here so I can test
Old 08-06-2018, 10:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 199
Niced 990 Times in 624 Posts

Watch the pro Pittsburgh Flying Disc Open from 2017. MJ was throwing a pinkish Z Mantis as his flippy fairway and roller disc. He was on the card all three rounds, so it's a pretty good tournament to watch if you want to see a Discraft pro who has a somewhat more reasonable power range compared to us mere mortals. Ace Race Mantis may be a different beast, but that Z Mantis he was rocking looked almost like a beat Pro Leopard in flight (to me at least).

Niced: (2)

Old 08-06-2018, 11:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,531 Times in 883 Posts

FYI, the Ace Race Mantis is between a TeeBird and a Thunderbird... No turn with a very healthy, but glidy fade.

It is my overstable workhorse driver, but not utility disc overstable. I am on my second one now, the first one has beat into a longer, faster TeeBird.

I still have one more fresh one squirreled away.