Old 03-22-2020, 10:10 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 32
Niced 24 Times in 6 Posts
Default Are we not taking Covid-19 seriously

This week I've seen posts on Facebook from Discmania and Dynamic Discs encouraging people to go out and play disc golf during the Covid pandemic. This is highly irresponsible as the crisis is getting worse, more people are getting sick and more governments are declaring of state of emergency and announcing stay at home orders.

However these companies seem to think that since parks are still open that means we should drive across the city, gather together and play disc golf. Unfortunately they see a very narrow path towards the potential pandemic, that their actions have little effect on others.

I do agree that an individual playing a round of disc golf could have minimal transmission of the Covid virus however the risk becomes much greater with all the other activities that happen on the way to the disc golf course. Do you need to stop for Gatorade or a snack? That 20-30 minute drive burns a lot of gas, sooner or later you need to fill up. Maybe a stop to pick up another disc from the store.

What the medical officials are calling for is to stop travelling and stay at home. Yes parks are open but I don't think any city or medical official would agree its a good idea to drive across the city to meet up with your buds.

I have a 3 hole course just down the street, a two minute walk. That is the type of outdoor activity officials are suggesting, a walk in your neighbourhood, a walk in your local park.

Comments, suggestions, am I wrong, is this all a media hype? Let us know your opinion.
Sponsored Links

Old 03-22-2020, 10:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,531 Times in 883 Posts

No, it not irresponsible. Sunlight (vit d) is core to out immune response. Happiness and community also boosts our immune response. Moderate exercise boosts our immume response.
Disc golf gives us all three. By all means, more people should be outdoors enjoying life.

I am meeting up with a group to play today. Normally we carpool; we are driving separate. Closed spaces do raise the risk of infection for almost any virus.

Last edited by wolfmandragon; 03-22-2020 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,457 Times in 2,112 Posts

We could stop traffic deaths if we outlawed personal cars.

There's no one answer to disc golf---it depends on a lot of factors. Certainly, if we isolate everyone in their own bubble, we'll get the greatest effect on stopping contagion. But if everyone just reduces their risky activities by 80%, it will have a huge effect....and we can still have a little bit of life.

Yesterday, at an isolated course, 8 40+ disc golfers showed up in 7 cars, practiced excellent social distancing, didn't touch each other's discs, etc. Very minimal risk. At the same time, 6 players in their early 20s showed up packed into 2 cars, and seemed to have no regard. (Maybe they all live in 1 house, and are just a traveling group isolation, I don't know).

Old 03-22-2020, 11:02 AM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 333
Niced 4,780 Times in 2,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabrook View Post
This week I've seen posts on Facebook from Discmania and Dynamic Discs encouraging people to go out and play disc golf during the Covid pandemic. This is highly irresponsible as the crisis is getting worse, more people are getting sick and more governments are declaring of state of emergency and announcing stay at home orders.

However these companies seem to think that since parks are still open that means we should drive across the city, gather together and play disc golf. Unfortunately they see a very narrow path towards the potential pandemic, that their actions have little effect on others.

I do agree that an individual playing a round of disc golf could have minimal transmission of the Covid virus however the risk becomes much greater with all the other activities that happen on the way to the disc golf course. Do you need to stop for Gatorade or a snack? That 20-30 minute drive burns a lot of gas, sooner or later you need to fill up. Maybe a stop to pick up another disc from the store.

What the medical officials are calling for is to stop travelling and stay at home. Yes parks are open but I don't think any city or medical official would agree its a good idea to drive across the city to meet up with your buds.

I have a 3 hole course just down the street, a two minute walk. That is the type of outdoor activity officials are suggesting, a walk in your neighbourhood, a walk in your local park.

Comments, suggestions, am I wrong, is this all a media hype? Let us know your opinion.
Not completely media hype. This virus is clearly highly transmissible. There's a reason we call things that blow up "viral." I am keenly aware of reducing the transmission of the virus. But your post seems rather knee jerk and doesn't appear to think things though.

No one's saying to "gather together" or to make multiple stops to play a round. Anyone who says to or does that is a fool.

I get in my car, in my garage. Go to the course and play a solo round, or maybe even meet someone at the course. Play our round. We don't have to come within 10 ft of each other, but we can talk and vent and blow off steam. No one should touch anyone else's discs, and give each other plenty of space.

When I fill up, I wear nitrile gloves (I have a box I bought at Harbor Freight in my car) and chuck them in the trash after opening my car door. Then drive back home to my garage. The risk I've transmitted or contracted anything is quite low.

It is incumbent on all of us (those who play, as well as those who don't) to continuously make rational decisions and active efforts to reduce our exposure, as well as the exposure of others should one already be an asymptomatic carrier. One good decision isn't enough. We need everyone to be vigilant, all the time to flatten the curve.

Also, can we keep the discussion about Covid & disc golf to one of the thread's already started, like this one: Can we safely play a round of disc golf?

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 03-22-2020 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:05 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 43
Niced 91 Times in 52 Posts

Everyone's personal situation different. I am lucky to have two courses within biking distance. At times like this, it is good to have a safe outlet to preserve sanity.

Niced: (2)
Old 03-22-2020, 11:11 AM

Years Playing: 0.5
Courses Played: 1
Niced 14 Times in 10 Posts
Default Changing routine is complicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
When I fill up, I wear nitrile gloves (I have a box I bought at Harbor Freight in my car) and chuck them in the trash after opening my car door. Then drive back home to my garage. The risk I've transmitted or contracted anything is quite low.
[/URL]
If you use your gloved hand to open your car door then you have transferred germs that you touched with the gloved hand to your car door. When you next touch that handle, unless you are wearing gloves.........

Niced: (2)
Old 03-22-2020, 11:14 AM
Tiny White Balls

Years Playing: 36.9
Courses Played: 2
Niced 185 Times in 112 Posts

I read the WHO report on China. It totally downgrades the spread ability of the virus. For instance if you have an infected person in the household there is still only a 10% chance of someone else in the household getting it. They have also said it does not appear there is much non-symptomatic spread. Basically if you get it, you will show symptoms. This report actually comforted me a lot, as it appears this is not going to blow up like the worst case scenario's describe.
https://www.zerohedge.com/health/cov...-over-hysteria
Old 03-22-2020, 11:16 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 213 Times in 102 Posts

From a broad standpoint, I try to feel serious empathy for people who are suffering directly and indirectly: from sickness, loss, fear, financial problems, and so on. But it's not easy. When added to the sum of the world's suffering, this sickness is almost negligible, and I've always found it important to avoid selective concern based on media attention or nationalism or sensationalism or other flavors of mindless hypocrisy. So while I am saddened, the most I can muster is a sad shrug.

From a personal standpoint I am wholly unconcerned. Loss of convenience means nothing to me, and I have no fear of losing people important to me, or any fear for my own bodily sake.

From a practical standpoint I try to practice good manners, realizing that many people are afraid, and give others plenty of space. I've made more telephone calls than visits. I try to avoid making making others sick or uncomfortable to what I reckon to be a reasonable degree.

From a disc golf standpoint, I play whenever I feel like it, with whoever I feel like. I don't take any special precautions.

So you tell me. Am I taking it seriously?
Old 03-22-2020, 11:18 AM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 333
Niced 4,780 Times in 2,076 Posts

I have no assurance someone else hasn't touched my car door, either. I can wipe it down with alcohol.
Put gloves on inside car. Fill up. Open car door. Throw gloves away. Get in car. Go home. Wipe down door handle.
When I dispose of the gloves, I pull them off from the wrist, leaving them inside-out.

Old 03-22-2020, 11:28 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,057 Times in 1,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
I have no assurance someone else hasn't touched my car door, either. I can wipe it down with alcohol.
Put gloves on inside car. Fill up. Open car door. Throw gloves away. Get in car. Go home. Wipe down door handle.
When I dispose of the gloves, I pull them off from the wrist, leaving them inside-out.
But you don’t get sick if you just get the virus on your hands..just don’t touch your mouth,nose or eyes and wash your hands before and after you have been out.

Never seen so many new players on the course as today, many families out and playing for the first time...they all said it felt like a safe thing to do after being home stuck inside all week

Last edited by Jolt; 03-22-2020 at 11:32 AM.