Old 07-21-2020, 11:59 AM
Par Member

Niced 75 Times in 46 Posts
Default klodkrawler's lefty bag

I think I've started to iron out a bag that doesn't have too many overlapping slots so figured I'd post it here.
I'm 31, lefty and fairly healthy. Typically play 830 ish rated rounds. Current max distance is around 300-320' if I really get things clicking. I consider 260' and under to be my sweet spot for birdie looks on golf lines.

Distance Drivers
- 156g pop top Hades: this only sees use maybe 1-2 throws per round but seems to be the disc I most consistently get out to 300'

Fairway Drivers
- Night Strike 2 FD: my workhorse BH driver straight to hyzer finish.
- DX Teebird: Laser straight tunnel shots or forced anny's.
- '18 Sexton Firebird: I rotate through 2 of these, 1 super beat in and 1 pretty fresh, for hyzer FH or BH with a skip.
- '19 Big Jerm Thunderbird: new addition to the bag. I'm finding it fills the slot my beat in FB does so likely kicking this or the beat FB out of the bag soon.
- ESP Undertaker, primary FH driver, just slightly more stable than the FD which keeps me from accidentally turning it over as often.

Midrange:
Cryztal Wasp: used for most everything inside 250' unless the shot shape dictates otherwise
Jawbreaker Wasp: seems to glide longer than my Crzytal, still trying to learn if this has a permanent spot in the bag. I've been reaching for it when I question if I can reach the pin with my Cryztal.
Mako3: One of my first discs. still seems to occasionally get flight time for straight touch shots or powering down instead of a putter approach but I'm finding it a bit too flippy for the shots I used to use it on.
ESP Archer: Ultra flippy- used for stand-still anny's or hyzerflips nothing else I've thrown late turns the way this disc does. I'll tee shot this disc when I question my forehand distance.
Z Archer: Just a couple ticks more stable than it's ESP twin, useful for those moments my form seems to be failing me and I keep turn/burning the ESP archer. Also seems to get sneaky distance when Hyzerflipped but it's a bit less consistent than my Teebird for tee shot lasers.

Putters:
Firefly: Used for all putts inside 40' or so
Fierce: throwing putter for shots where I want absolutely no hyzer finish although sometimes I struggle landing near the pin because I aim accounting for hyzer and it doesn't. I also find the extra glide helpful for running 50-60' putts. And reach for it on all Anny putts regardless of distance because I can count on it not fighting out early.
ESP Zone: Zone things, BH/FH approaches
Jawbreaker Zone: Trying to beat into doing non zone things aka gliding before hyzer finishing
S-line P2: throwing putter, used on shots that I want the Jawbreaker zone to take eventually.

I've seen some threads where folks keep track of how many shots they use each disc for in a round, that seems like a pretty cool way to see what discs are getting the most air time and which aren't being utilized (and could be removed from the bag. If anyone sees glaring holes in my setup I'd love to hear them!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2020, 02:48 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 378 Times in 175 Posts

What do you grab if want something just a tick below the Hades? Like if you are worried about the wind or you aren't sure if you have enough room to work it or you got trouble long?

Is that the Undertaker or do you grab the FD?
Old 07-23-2020, 09:24 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrosscrx View Post
What do you grab if want something just a tick below the Hades? Like if you are worried about the wind or you aren't sure if you have enough room to work it or you got trouble long?

Is that the Undertaker or do you grab the FD?
It would depend how windy, but generally I'm reaching FD backhand any shot where I don't have the room to air out the hades. If it's a touch breezy into a mild head wind (say 5-10mph) I find that's just enough help to flip the FD a little bit and get an S curve similar to the Hades, and distance that's sneakily close. Without wind the FD is straight to hyzer for me. If it's even more windy I'm likely throwing the Thunderbird and hoping the wind stands it up, but we've had a fairly calm summer so I haven't played with that slot too much. I have an FD2 I've been wanting to try out on a windy day also.

edit: Also, whether it's just me throwing the disc too slow or it's actually the disc itself (I've seen people talking about how inconsistent the Hades are in stability) mine seems more on the stable end. It flies straight to hyzer unless I purposely put it on Anny and let it flex back. I feel like it's much closer to a 1.5 stability than the 1.0 that Discraft rates it. I have another hades I keep meaning to test out in a field. If they're truly as inconsistent as people say I may be able to use my white Hades for slight wind and then the other hades for calm/tailwind

Last edited by klodkrawler05; 07-23-2020 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:59 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klodkrawler05 View Post
It would depend how windy, but generally I'm reaching FD backhand any shot where I don't have the room to air out the hades. If it's a touch breezy into a mild head wind (say 5-10mph) I find that's just enough help to flip the FD a little bit and get an S curve similar to the Hades, and distance that's sneakily close. Without wind the FD is straight to hyzer for me. If it's even more windy I'm likely throwing the Thunderbird and hoping the wind stands it up, but we've had a fairly calm summer so I haven't played with that slot too much. I have an FD2 I've been wanting to try out on a windy day also.

edit: Also, whether it's just me throwing the disc too slow or it's actually the disc itself (I've seen people talking about how inconsistent the Hades are in stability) mine seems more on the stable end. It flies straight to hyzer unless I purposely put it on Anny and let it flex back. I feel like it's much closer to a 1.5 stability than the 1.0 that Discraft rates it. I have another hades I keep meaning to test out in a field. If they're truly as inconsistent as people say I may be able to use my white Hades for slight wind and then the other hades for calm/tailwind
Gotcha. I would want something in the 9 or 10 speed range with a -2 or -3 turn to slot between the Hades and the FD, but it doesn't sound like you need it for the holes you play.
Old 07-23-2020, 10:38 AM
Par Member

That's probably an area that's worth exploring for me. I need a field work day to mess with them again after picking up a bit of distance the last month, heck I probably haven't even attempted to throw anything faster than a the undertaker/firebird in a couple months. I've got a handful of discs that would slot in there, Avenger SS, Wraith, CD2, sidewinder (found that more stable than I expected)

I'm thinking the CD2 or wraith might be good choices, I've never thrown the CD2, just received it in a mystery box last week, and I've probably picked up 80-100' of distance since I last tried throwing the wraith.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-30-2020, 02:23 PM
Par Member

Spent some time doing field work this week with a handful of faster stuff that I don't normally bag.

ESP Undertaker backhand, usually I only use this for forehand because I tend to turn the FD more than I meant too when throwing it FH. Distance wise backhand I could pretty consistently land this within 5-10' of my FD. So despite it's faster speed rating I'm really not seeing much of a reason to reach for this BH over the night strike, unless. I need more finish. I was having to aim a bit more left than I would with the FD. and it would still hyzer back to where the FD was. I think it would need to be a pretty specific shot where I reach for this on a backhand line instead of the FD or Thunderbird.

Color Glow Wraith. I want to like this disc. It's got a cool stamp. but I just can't seem to make this disc do anything that I can't already cover with the FD or Hades. I think I'll need to build some more form/power and then re-evaluate. Could be the color glow but this thing just seems like a glideless brick to me.

Champ CD2, Recently received this in a mystery box. I expected based on the numbers that this would fly more like an undertaker but it flew much more like my 6/10 Sexton Firebird or my 8/10 Big Jerm Thunderbird. I'll keep it on the shelf as a backup for that glidey overstable utility shot where I want some ground action, but nothing revolutionary or new for my bag.

DD3 Cloudbreaker, Way more disc than I need, I'm pretty comfortable admitting it. But I won it during a putting league and it's been sitting on my shelf taunting me. I'm not sure which run this is but it honestly was not nearly as much of a meathook as I was expecting. I can push it out around 320-350' just like my Hades but I need to give it a much flatter/slight anny release and aim a fair bit further left to let it hyzer back to around the landing spot as the Hades. I could see myself using this disc into big head winds where the Hades would be sure to flip over on me. But just like the Hades, this wouldn't be something I'm reaching for more than 1-2 times per round typically.

Result of this fieldwork, no new additions/subtractions to the bag but I did find a new backup off the shelf disc and a headwind driver.

Next time I head out for some field work I have a star TL3, a champ eagle, an FD2 an FD3 and a luster FD to test out, see if anything fills a gap or kicks something out of a slot in my bag.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:32 AM
Par Member

3 rounds of tournament golf this weekend, shot a new personal best during round 2 of 903 rated, and then promptly followed that up with an 832 round to finish the tournament.

the bag for the weekend:

Distance Drivers
- 156g pop top Hades

Fairway Drivers
2 Night Strike 2 FD's (similarly beat in case I lose mid round)
DX Teebird
'18 Sexton Firebird 1 beat, 1 fresh
'19 Big Jerm Thunderbird
ESP Undertaker

Midrange:
Cryztal Wasp
Jawbreaker Wasp
Mako3
ESP Archer
Z Archer

Putt/Approach:
2 Fireflies
1st run Fierce
ESP Zone (Switched to a backup Z zone after losing the ESP warming up)
Jawbreaker Zone

Pretty much all of the discs got some air time this weekend, with exception to the beat up firebird which didn't see a single shot. and the Mako3 which saw a single unsuccessful anny flick.

Either the beat up firebird or the Thunderbird should be able to leave my bag, I need to do a bit more field work with them to decide which. On one hand the pair of firebirds appeals to the mold minimization strategy. On the other hand replacing the firebird if lost requires finding another already that beat-in while I could walk into the store and buy another thunderbird if I lost this one.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-11-2020, 11:44 AM
Par Member

Prepped my bag for Ledgestone last night. Minor changes from previously:

Distance Drivers
- 156g pop top Hades

Fairway Drivers
Night Strike 2 FD
Luster C FD using this as a hopefully longer lasting replacement to a new DX teebird
DX Teebird (has started beating into more of a slow panning turn or hyzer flip laser)
'18 Sexton Firebird 1 beat, 1 fresh
'19 Big Jerm Thunderbird
ESP Undertaker

Midrange:
Cryztal Wasp
Jawbreaker Wasp
Mako3
ESP Archer
Z Archer

Putt/Approach:
2 Fireflies
Cryztal Fierce just a tick more stable than my 1st run, gives me a bit more confidence during tournament nerves
Z Zone
Jawbreaker Zone

I still haven't been able to decide which Firebird to remove, at this point they might be both staying. The Thunderbird can fly almost mirror identical lines/distances to my beat up FB, but it just doesn't seem to get quite as much ground action. It feels silly to have 2 discs that fly the same flight. Although I suppose since the final resting place can be 20' different it's not truly the same shot shape. And it helps keep the discs from rattling in my bag. so for now it stays.
Old 08-11-2020, 12:23 PM
Birdie Member

How do you like the Fireflies?

I've been trying to figure out a bad weather alternative that feels as close to my grid Aviar as possible and the P2 and the Firefly seem to be logical considerations.

Old 08-15-2020, 12:02 PM
Par Member

I like the fireflies a lot I keep hearing they're just like the p2's but they feel slightly different in hand to me. They're for sure a touch more stable than the aviar which works well for me in particular, I think I have sort of a spush type putt so a bit of stability helps, if you push putt you might find them a bit too stable. I use the fireflies inside about 35-40' and then switch over to fierces for 40-70' ish type step putts.

Flight pattern is a bit like some of the more stable wizard plastics, but without as much glide. I was visiting a buddy recently and didn't have any discs with me so just played from his bag and found myself constantly gliding high/past the basket with the wizards whereas I normally miss a touch low with my fireflies.