Old 10-29-2020, 08:17 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 72
Niced 414 Times in 203 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdeforge View Post
doesn't really matter because stand and deliver is not the answer.

adding a vertical component to the front of the lie and adding a requirement that both feet must be behind the vertical plane when the disc is released would completely eliminate step putts.
You completely missed the point of my post.
a) I am talking about deliver and stay, not stand and deliver. Two different ideas. (Stay and deliver would require players to leave their supporting point on the lie until balance is demonstrated. It does not prohibit folllow-through or run-up)
b) I am not talking about whether or not it eliminates step putts.
c) I am talking about top players at the USDGC throwing fairway drives on long holes who for the most part are already doing deliver and stay. If it was so dangerous, why are they doing what they are doing? That is the only point I'm making. That argument (that injuries will increase) against switching to a deliver and stay rule is weak at best.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)

Last edited by krupicka; 10-29-2020 at 08:19 AM. Reason: clarify definition of stay and deliver.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:09 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 357 Times in 186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krupicka View Post
You completely missed the point of my post.
you're right - 100% my bad.
Old 10-29-2020, 11:56 AM

Niced 13 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dehaas View Post
I agree, stand and deliver you still rotate through on your plant foot...

I could maybe see if your foot caught a root or something but same thing with a run up to your mark.

Dunno if it falls in line with “stand and deliver” or not, but you can also start a couple of inches behind your mark with the lead foot, and when you reach back slide that front foot a bit forward to help with the weight transfer.

Just never understood the safety concerns with stand and deliver.
It's not the plant foot that would go over the lie, it would be the back foot on the follow through.
Old 10-29-2020, 12:38 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 46.5
Courses Played: 427
Niced 2,296 Times in 1,094 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
The sudden halting of momentum on full-power shots wreaks havoc on my joints. As does trying to generate full power without the momentum of a run-up (or at least, walk-up). It's no danger 100' out.....but is 400' out.

Part of the anti-jump-putt (& -step-putt) argument is that it looks goofy to non-disc golfers. On the other hand, that it might be argued that full-power fairway shots on higher-par holes look more athletic than a standstill shot would.
Where does your momentum go otherwise?

Would allowing a run-up and allowing swinging the other foot around in front of the lie fix the issue? (The plant foot stays "glued" to the lie for a bit.)
Old 10-29-2020, 01:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.5
Courses Played: 250
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,576 Times in 1,588 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahildy13 View Post
It's not the plant foot that would go over the lie, it would be the back foot on the follow through.
I don't have a flailing trailing leg. Could be my form though. I don't see where pros would have a big problem with their trailing leg either. I see some allow the trailing leg to come around, but I don't see where the momentum is so great that they could not stop it.
Old 10-29-2020, 02:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,431 Times in 2,103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
Where does your momentum go otherwise?

Would allowing a run-up and allowing swinging the other foot around in front of the lie fix the issue? (The plant foot stays "glued" to the lie for a bit.)
Momentum that's not braked, goes into the follow-through.

A non-lie leg follow through would alleviate the stress, at least somewhat. Though it might still allow for at least a modified step-putt, it would eliminate the jump-putt. It might also bring up debates of how long the foot must be glued, or extend the "demonstrate balance" all over the course instead of just in C1. (I find "demonstrate balance" to be vague and harder to call than the jump-putt foot-faults, and rarely see it called unless the player literally falls forward onto the ground).

It still strikes me as a cure that's worse than the disease. I'm not sure what's to be gained; a slightly smaller percentage of putts made in C2, and less goofy-looking putts, but how does either really benefit us? Are non-disc-golfers going to flock in as fans, based on these changes? If they do, will it matter much to the 99% of us who aren't touring pros? Myself, I don't jump- or step-putt, but I don't see altering the long fairway shots to be a price worth paying, for a minimal gain.

Niced: (3)
Old 10-29-2020, 07:10 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 46.5
Courses Played: 427
Niced 2,296 Times in 1,094 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Momentum that's not braked, goes into the follow-through.

A non-lie leg follow through would alleviate the stress, at least somewhat. Though it might still allow for at least a modified step-putt, it would eliminate the jump-putt. It might also bring up debates of how long the foot must be glued, or extend the "demonstrate balance" all over the course instead of just in C1. (I find "demonstrate balance" to be vague and harder to call than the jump-putt foot-faults, and rarely see it called unless the player literally falls forward onto the ground).

It still strikes me as a cure that's worse than the disease. I'm not sure what's to be gained; a slightly smaller percentage of putts made in C2, and less goofy-looking putts, but how does either really benefit us? Are non-disc-golfers going to flock in as fans, based on these changes? If they do, will it matter much to the 99% of us who aren't touring pros? Myself, I don't jump- or step-putt, but I don't see altering the long fairway shots to be a price worth paying, for a minimal gain.
You forgot to mention that C1 may no longer be needed. (The horror!)

I wonder if it would actually alter the long fairway throws. I know my plant foot stays on the lie. I guess I'll be watching a lot of film this weekend.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:48 PM

Courses Played: 9
Niced 19 Times in 6 Posts
Default Aesthetics is as aesthetics do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
As unprofessional looking as those 3-point jump shots in basketball?
I think it's more like the step-back three, or even the Euro. You WANT to say foot fault, just like you want to say traveling on the step-back and the Euro.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:57 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 0.7
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 425 Times in 210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsolow View Post
I think it's more like the step-back three, or even the Euro. You WANT to say foot fault, just like you want to say traveling on the step-back and the Euro.
Basketball rules are distinctly suggestions and generally apply mist extensively to non-superstars.

I’m not anti Lebron, but he can hold the ball and walk around the lane, switch pivot foot and still no call.

Old 10-29-2020, 11:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,431 Times in 2,103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
Basketball rules are distinctly suggestions and generally apply mist extensively to non-superstars.

I’m not anti Lebron, but he can hold the ball and walk around the lane, switch pivot foot and still no call.
They'll never make the big-time, if they can't call footwork rules precisely and consistently.

Niced: (2)