* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 44
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 661 Times in 387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
Got my stack of Pro Pig΄s today, they were all more or less "concave top"

They dont feel anything like i thought . . i tought they would be stiff and hard like the McPro AVIAR. . . but they are more "gummy" feel . . like a slightly stiffer R-PRO

But for a disc called "stiff" Pro . . it΄s not very stiff at all. . .the Blizzard PIG is Stiff, The PRO is closer to the R-PRO than the Blizzard in firmness
Yeah it's definitely not hard, slick Pro plastic like McPro or KC Pro, more gummy like you say. The stiffness and gumminess have varied by the run over the years. The first batch of Pro Pigs I bought off the factory store back in the day were quite stiff and medium gummy (and mostly board flat). In later orders I've gotten some that were less stiff and more gummy (and also variable between concave, flat, and very slight dome). There was only ever 1 disc I got that I thought was flexible enough to be RPro; most are definitely more stiff than that although not quite as stiff as KC/McPro. I'd say it's closer to Star or Yeti Pro in stiffness.

The level of flex and gumminess is one of the things I personally really like about Pro Pigs, but that is obviously a personal preference thing. I don't really personally like uber hard, slick plastic like McPro all that much. That's just me though.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 01-31-2019, 10:34 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 34
Niced 59 Times in 22 Posts

I too was hoping for Mc/KC type plastic when I first got these but they are extra gummy and kinda stiff. I'm convinced this "Stiff Pro" is just XT. Especially after going to a local shop to feel up an XT Bullfrog. (FWIW I don't have much experience with XT outside of those Bullfrogs, a Roc, and a Nova.) BUT! it is similar, if not the same plastic. Side by side with the XT Bullfrogs, it felt very similar in grip and stiffness.

Last edited by xyman621; 01-31-2019 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:00 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 831 Times in 474 Posts

I’m perfectly fine with the gumminess of the pro pig, was just not what I expected
Old 01-31-2019, 11:02 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 439 Times in 285 Posts

DAVE WE WANT RHYNOS AND PIGS IN KC. WE KNOW YOU HAVE THE PLASTIC, JUST PUT IT IN THE MOLD. WE WILL BUY THEM.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 44
Niced 661 Times in 387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyman621 View Post
I too was hoping for Mc/KC type plastic when I first got these but they are extra gummy and kinda stiff. I'm convinced this "Stiff Pro" is just XT. Especially after going to a local shop to feel up an XT Bullfrog. (FWIW I don't have much experience with XT outside of those Bullfrogs, a Roc, and a Nova.) BUT! it is similar, if not the same plastic. Side by side with the XT Bullfrogs, it felt very similar in grip and stiffness.
I can see why you would say that due to the hand feel, but I'm pretty sure this is not the case. I've bought XT Rocs, XT Colts, and one or two other molds in XT. They don't show much cosmetic wear but they warp on tree hits pretty quickly. You should see some of my Colts. I loved the feel of the plastic but I couldn't keep them in the bag more than about 3 or 4 months before they got unusably flippy due to the warping. I have never had that problem with any of my Pro Pigs and some of them were in the bag for a couple years or more. The Pigs also tend to be a bit more gummy than XT although that does vary a bit.

I'm not saying they couldn't have changed XT to be more like the stiff Pro; I haven't tried anything in XT for a while. The early runs of it were definitely not the same as stiff Pro though.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:35 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 23
Niced 207 Times in 133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
Got my stack of Pro Pig΄s today, they were all more or less "concave top"

They dont feel anything like i thought . . i tought they would be stiff and hard like the McPro AVIAR. . . but they are more "gummy" feel . . like a slightly stiffer R-PRO

But for a disc called "stiff" Pro . . it΄s not very stiff at all. . .the Blizzard PIG is Stiff, The PRO is closer to the R-PRO than the Blizzard in firmness
That was part of my confusion when I got my stiff P-Line MD3. I was thinking "MD3 with Pro Pig plastic, that would be fantastic!" Instead I got a super stiff plastic that likes to chip, and becomes US very quickly. Was not happy at first, but it is growing on me.

I love the Pro plastic for the Pig. Also, it is pretty durable for a midgrade plastic. The one in my bag currently has hit concrete road a couple times and only scuffed up a bit, no gouges.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:19 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 34
Niced 59 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugheshilton View Post
I can see why you would say that due to the hand feel, but I'm pretty sure this is not the case. I've bought XT Rocs, XT Colts, and one or two other molds in XT. They don't show much cosmetic wear but they warp on tree hits pretty quickly. You should see some of my Colts. I loved the feel of the plastic but I couldn't keep them in the bag more than about 3 or 4 months before they got unusably flippy due to the warping. I have never had that problem with any of my Pro Pigs and some of them were in the bag for a couple years or more. The Pigs also tend to be a bit more gummy than XT although that does vary a bit.

I'm not saying they couldn't have changed XT to be more like the stiff Pro; I haven't tried anything in XT for a while. The early runs of it were definitely not the same as stiff Pro though.

It was surprising how similar they felt which lead me to think that.

Both seem durable but you're right about Pro not warping like XT. My XT Roc wore and warped the same as you described, yet none of my Pigs have gone that way. Which leads me to believe they are different like you said. But I wonder if the Pig's thick rim helps prevent warping? I really don't know.

Old 01-31-2019, 03:19 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,203 Times in 611 Posts

I wouldn't say the Stiff Pro is XT at all. My Polecats are really waxy, but the Pigs and Rhynos I have from when they were initially released on the proshop are really rubbery, like R-Pro but firmer. My Polecats also have withstood some serious abuse while my one R-Pro went from perfectly stable to flippy at any speed with one good tree hit.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:09 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 25
Niced 619 Times in 532 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
DAVE WE WANT RHYNOS AND PIGS IN KC. WE KNOW YOU HAVE THE PLASTIC, JUST PUT IT IN THE MOLD. WE WILL BUY THEM.
ALSO BRING BACK THE KC PRO PLASTIC EAGLE!

Old 02-01-2019, 12:25 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 95 Times in 58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
I wouldn't say the Stiff Pro is XT at all. My Polecats are really waxy, but the Pigs and Rhynos I have from when they were initially released on the proshop are really rubbery, like R-Pro but firmer. My Polecats also have withstood some serious abuse while my one R-Pro went from perfectly stable to flippy at any speed with one good tree hit.
I agree with this assessment of XT compared to the Stiff Pro plastic. My Stiff Pro Pig feels much more like rubber than the XT Polecat I have in the bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyman621 View Post
It was surprising how similar they felt which lead me to think that.

Both seem durable but you're right about Pro not warping like XT. My XT Roc wore and warped the same as you described, yet none of my Pigs have gone that way. Which leads me to believe they are different like you said. But I wonder if the Pig's thick rim helps prevent warping? I really don't know.
Every one of the Factory Store Pro Pigs have warped significantly after 6+ months of use. My oldest Stiff Pro Pig was downright fugly before I lost it last year, and its replacement became clovered from tree hits before I retired it. My current "straight" Pig is also a Stiff Pro, that is beginning to warp. I do hit plenty of trees throwing these at near full power so that is a significant factor in the warping. Thrashed Pigs are magic so I don't really mind if I accidentally taco one