Old 08-13-2015, 11:07 AM

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default World Troubles

Hey everybody.
My go to driver for the past year and a half has been the wraith. It has done great for me for a while and has given me more distance than just about anything else. Within the last couple months my technique has greatly improved so now i throw quite a bit harder. The wraith is definitely not going anywhere as i love it for tight woodsy drives, but im looking for a new go to. I really got turned on to westside so i bought 2 giants (both max weight, one tourney one VIP). I loved having a disc i could really power into and know exactly what it would do. Plus i was getting more distance over the wraith. So then I hear about the world. I heard that it is a slightly less stable giant with more distance. Feldberg speaks very highly of it as an all around driver in his in the bags. Sounds great to me so i went out and bought a 173 VIP world the other day. Throwing it against my giants into a decent right to left head wind (im lefty) the giant would go dead nuts straight for a long way, then have a very consistent fade at the end. Now I understand the world is supposed to be slightly less stable than the giant, but the world would go into a pretty strong turn with and finish pretty far left (im a lefty haha) of the giants. It just seemed to be pretty inconsistent for me. One throw i had came out a bit low while the wind picked up a touch, and the world actually turned and burned. I then threw with a decent tail wind and got about the same flight from both, but the world had slightly less fade at the end. So my question is, should i just ditch the world and throw giants, or should i get my hands on a max weight world and see how that flies? I do love the giant, probably the most consistent driver ive thrown. But i am curious about the world. I'm not sure if i got a dud or if the world is just not a good wind disc. The wind wasn't crazy strong or anything though but it was defiantly there.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2015, 11:14 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 539 Times in 310 Posts

Sounds like you should stick with the Giant and maybe break one into what you want a World to be. The TP should be able to do that for you if you throw it exclusively for a little while.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:26 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhayes7 View Post
Sounds like you should stick with the Giant and maybe break one into what you want a World to be. The TP should be able to do that for you if you throw it exclusively for a little while.
That sounds pretty good. That is actually what ive been doing to be honest haha. I just feel more confident throwing the giant and it seems like the logical choice right now.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 44
Niced 661 Times in 387 Posts

I don't think the 2 gram difference between 173 and 175 is going to make any difference in how the World flies so I wouldn't worry about buying one in max weight. Bear in mind though that high speed drivers mold up pretty inconsistently, so you may find another World with higher PLH that is more stable than the one you've got. Just a tiny sub-millimeter difference in the height of the wing can make a big difference in how stable a disc flies, so you may want to go to your local shop and compare the Worlds there (set them on a flat surface and compare the wing heights). You may find one that way that works much better for you.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:52 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugheshilton View Post
I don't think the 2 gram difference between 173 and 175 is going to make any difference in how the World flies so I wouldn't worry about buying one in max weight. Bear in mind though that high speed drivers mold up pretty inconsistently, so you may find another World with higher PLH that is more stable than the one you've got. Just a tiny sub-millimeter difference in the height of the wing can make a big difference in how stable a disc flies, so you may want to go to your local shop and compare the Worlds there (set them on a flat surface and compare the wing heights). You may find one that way that works much better for you.
I didn't mention this in my original post, but the store i bought the world in had 5 worlds all of which appeared to have the same flat-ish top to them. My giants both have a bit of pop to them though. I will definitely look for a domey world though. Thanks!
Old 08-13-2015, 12:27 PM
Michael Moore Fan Club President

Years Playing: 28.2
Courses Played: 58
Niced 8 Times in 6 Posts

Flat Worlds are flippy and sucky. No doubt you turned and burned it into the wind. If you can find a domey one or dome yours up do that. See tuning also.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:35 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 18
Niced 539 Times in 310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindog321 View Post
I didn't mention this in my original post, but the store i bought the world in had 5 worlds all of which appeared to have the same flat-ish top to them. My giants both have a bit of pop to them though. I will definitely look for a domey world though. Thanks!
It isn't just the dome, but the PLH or wing height, which is actually more important. Set two discs of the same mold and plastic down on a flat surface, place the discs next to each other, look at the height of the wing of each disc(look for where the nose more or less goes from being vertical to sloping/curving down to the rim that the disc is sitting on), and compare which wing is lower/higher. It is usually difficult to see much difference on mids and putters, but generally the faster the disc, the easier it is to see. The disc that has a higher wing will be more stable. There is some debate as to if dome actually matters, b/c I have some discs in the same mold that have a higher PLH but much less of a dome, and the higher PLH is more stable. And because some molds tend to be more stable when flat vs more stable when domey, PLH is the more definitive guide to which disc will be more stable.

Last edited by pjhayes7; 08-13-2015 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 44
Niced 661 Times in 387 Posts

Yeah I don't think I actually ever mentioned dome in my reply. As pj says, there is some debate about whether dome actually affect stability. From my own experience, I think dome DOES tend to make a disc more stable (or overstable), but (also as pj says) wing height (also knows as parting line height or PLH for short) is much more important than dome. I think you could still find a flat world that is OS if it has high PLH. Still, if there are only 5 to choose from, there may not be any good ones, so you may be stuck with Giants until your shop gets more Worlds in stock, but it's worth checking them all to see.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:50 PM
Michael Moore Fan Club President

Years Playing: 28.2
Courses Played: 58
Niced 8 Times in 6 Posts

If he can dome his up it should raise the PLH also. Dome usually pulls the wing up with it that's why domier = more stable usually. You could also tune it to some effect.

Old 08-13-2015, 01:51 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhayes7 View Post
It isn't just the dome, but the PLH or wing height, which is actually more important. Set two discs of the same mold and plastic down on a flat surface, place the discs next to each other, look at the height of the wing of each disc(look for where the nose more or less goes from being vertical to sloping/curving down to the rim that the disc is sitting on), and compare which wing is lower/higher. It is usually difficult to see much difference on mids and putters, but generally the faster the disc, the easier it is to see. The disc that has a higher wing will be more stable. There is some debate as to if dome actually matters, b/c I have some discs in the same mold that have a higher PLH but much less of a dome, and the higher PLH is more stable. And because some molds tend to be more stable when flat vs more stable when domey, PLH is the more definitive guide to which disc will be more stable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugheshilton View Post
Yeah I don't think I actually ever mentioned dome in my reply. As pj says, there is some debate about whether dome actually affect stability. From my own experience, I think dome DOES tend to make a disc more stable (or overstable), but (also as pj says) wing height (also knows as parting line height or PLH for short) is much more important than dome. I think you could still find a flat world that is OS if it has high PLH. Still, if there are only 5 to choose from, there may not be any good ones, so you may be stuck with Giants until your shop gets more Worlds in stock, but it's worth checking them all to see.
Huh, now i know what PLH means haha. I will have to take a look again at those worlds. Crazy how such a little thing can effect flight.