Old 08-24-2015, 09:15 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 32
Niced 18 Times in 13 Posts
Default Forehand Flex Shots

I am primarily a forehand player and one shot that I have been struggling with is a forehand flex shot. I throw either a overstable disc (such as the FD3) or a semi-overstable disc (such as a Volt). Typically I throw them on a slight anhyzer and that works ok, but sometimes if there isn't a bunch of air under them they just start going left and don't come back.

Are there certain discs that are better for forehand flex shots? Are there certain characteristics to look for? And, are there any things to watch out for when trying this shot?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2015, 09:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 6 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by King K View Post
Typically I throw them on a slight anhyzer and that works ok, but sometimes if there isn't a bunch of air under them they just start going left and don't come back.

Are there certain discs that are better for forehand flex shots? Are there certain characteristics to look for? And, are there any things to watch out for when trying this shot?
This is a shot I have spent a lot of time this year ironing out. Have to watch when you're throwing on the annie line that you don't roll your wrist even a little or you can even drive a Firebird into the ground.

Also depends on the distance you're trying to throw them and how wide a flex you want. My two go to discs are a Star Banshee and a FLX Predator. A lot of folks like the Firebird, but it didn't work for me. I also like the Hellfire. It was pretty beefy to start, but after beating it a bit, it has some amazing flexibility and glide.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:39 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 17
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I find I get the best results with a standstill shot and a quite overstable disc. If I do a run-up I can't seem to get that perfect angle/power combo on it.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,415 Times in 1,540 Posts

Obviously you need a pretty overstable disc...best to use a disc that won't really turn much when you throw it flat. Firebird, XCal, Giant, etc.

Aim at and through the apex of the shot with the angle that you have set and let it go from there. The more overstable the disc the lower throw/steeper angle you can use obviously. Sounds like nose angle isn't an issue since you're finding the disc is holding the line rather than coming out early.

If a disc isn't working for that shot for you, it's just not the disc for it...flex shots are very disc and power level dependent.

Also, if you have any OAT/wobble on the throw that can make this shot very unpredictable...best to iron that out before going on a disc-buying binge.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:09 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,851 Times in 1,387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by King K View Post
I am primarily a forehand player and one shot that I have been struggling with is a forehand flex shot. I throw either a overstable disc (such as the FD3) or a semi-overstable disc (such as a Volt). Typically I throw them on a slight anhyzer and that works ok, but sometimes if there isn't a bunch of air under them they just start going left and don't come back.

I'm RHBH working on my flex shot. I find that I need to put a little height on the shot or else it goes right (and to the ground) without coming back. But TOO much height and it doesn't really move right before turning back left.

I'm also working on my forehand shot, with mixed results. I'm finding a Teebird works well for me. The TL does okay, also. If I can get the forehand down, I'll probably work with the Firebird and bag that disc, but it's taking time to learn...
Old 08-25-2015, 02:22 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 87 Times in 52 Posts

I don't like to apply a lot of anny for a shot like this. The enforcer(bio), starfire(really old champ), fd3(flatened first run ), resistor(8/10)....those are some of the best discs for forhand flexs with my style. I go touch of anny, full power, 20ft in the air, aim a lil right...or directly at a tree you want to cut in front of. This produces a smooth elongated S that doesnt fade extra aggressive, penetrating finish for extra D. Another way I throw the anny S is with a ton of angle, almost like a FH roller, with just the slightest nose up (which is actually pointing left for a righty) and a very OS disc *justice*. I control distance and shape with the hight and power variable. Thats more of an approach or utility style though
Old 08-25-2015, 07:18 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 7
Niced 274 Times in 164 Posts

Are we talking about a utility flex shot or are we talking about a full power flex drive?
Old 08-25-2015, 09:56 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 32
Niced 18 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wims View Post
Are we talking about a utility flex shot or are we talking about a full power flex drive?
Both really, I would love to flex a mid to get around trees, but mainly the drives are more important.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:10 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a couple holes that I use a RHFH shot for that I need to flex out. I typically use something stable but higher speed than my arm can handle and it does what I want it to, probably because it is hiding my bad form Lol.

The hole is about 280' and I throw a flex shot with my Westside Sword. Just a touch of anny and about 20ft above the ground will have a nice S curve.

It is just playing with release angles though. Try using a stable to overstable driver and work on the release angle.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:10 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 43
Niced 14 Times in 11 Posts

From someone who has to throw flexes for all their FH shots over 200 ft bc my form sucks. I would recommend an Xcal, PD2, X1, something in that vein.