Old 04-01-2019, 04:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 32
Niced 439 Times in 268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscinFiend View Post
If an FD3 isn’t fading out of your anny, you’re most likely rolling your wrist. You need to work on your form. If you want a short easy fix, get a fast overstable driver.
FD3's are plenty OS. My Glow Champion FD3 is super dependable on FH anhyzer flex shots. Always comes back. If your turning yours over it's either beat to hell or you're technique has problems.

Try tucking your elbow in close on your FH's & see if that helps you burning over your FD3's. An MVP Motion, Innova XCal, Prodigy D1 or Discraft Machete might be good OS options that can handle your FH anhyzer. Depends on what speed is comfortable for you.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2019, 05:46 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 619 Times in 532 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by King K View Post
I am primarily a forehand player and one shot that I have been struggling with is a forehand flex shot. I throw either a overstable disc (such as the FD3) or a semi-overstable disc (such as a Volt). Typically I throw them on a slight anhyzer and that works ok, but sometimes if there isn't a bunch of air under them they just start going left and don't come back.

Are there certain discs that are better for forehand flex shots? Are there certain characteristics to look for? And, are there any things to watch out for when trying this shot?
Valkyrie is the mold I would use for such shot in Champion flatter dome. Do not get max weight go 3 grams lighter at a minimum as you then with max weight, have to be a power forehand player to make such a S shot work. Also watch out for low dome to flat top in Star if getting the disc as then the disc flies like an Innova Viking line.

I can't throw a forehand shot anymore but I could do a flex shot with same disc in backhand.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 04-01-2019 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:04 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 23
Niced 71 Times in 40 Posts

a lot of talk about wrist roll. may be true, may not be...

people have mentioned nose angle, i would start here...

you don't need the most OS disc in the bag. practice throwing the flex with a neutral disc, nose up. a roc is a good disc to start with. even better, a comet!

once you master the nose angle to stability to power ratio for each disc in your bag, you can throw this shot with anything.

ps. watch ricky line up forehand shots. keep an eye on his nose angle.

Last edited by mmblink86; 04-01-2019 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:15 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 903 Times in 602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmblink86 View Post
a lot of talk about wrist roll. may be true, may not be...

people have mentioned nose angle, i would start here...

you don't need the most OS disc in the bag. practice throwing the flex with a neutral disc, nose up. a roc is a good disc to start with. even better, a comet!

once you master the nose angle to stability to power ratio for each disc in your bag, you can throw this shot with anything.

ps. watch ricky line up forehand shots. keep an eye on his nose angle.
Rocs and Comets aren’t really ideal for FH though. The mix of a larger bead with a sloped top of the wing makes them less consistent than they are BH.

It really depends on how hard you throw them as well. If I have a Roc any Anhyzer FH and it probably won’t fade.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:18 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 2
Niced 342 Times in 255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose33 View Post
Rocs and Comets aren’t really ideal for FH though. The mix of a larger bead with a sloped top of the wing makes them less consistent than they are BH.

It really depends on how hard you throw them as well. If I have a Roc any Anhyzer FH and it probably won’t fade.
I'm gonna disagree with the statement about consistency, but that depends on who is throwing them. I can throw almost anything both FH and BH, regardless of bead or beadless, or stability.

FH flex shots sound like Beast/Wraith/ORC territory to me.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:58 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 12
Niced 773 Times in 417 Posts

Quote:

I will rarely throw a Comet FH and only for a standstill anny flick, get out of trouble shot. His point about nose angle is well taken but virtually every other disc in my bag is better suited for a flex shot.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:00 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 903 Times in 602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSMGS18 View Post
I'm gonna disagree with the statement about consistency, but that depends on who is throwing them. I can throw almost anything both FH and BH, regardless of bead or beadless, or stability.

FH flex shots sound like Beast/Wraith/ORC territory to me.
I CAN throw anything FH, but any disc with a sloped outer wing is prone to sliding in a traditional two finger spread grip. Especially if you pop it hard.

You are probably more of an exception here, since the majority of people who FH a lot do it with with things like Firebirds, Justices, Gators, Felons, Destroyers and other discs where the top of the wing is fairly flat.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 88
Niced 864 Times in 447 Posts

I'll reiterate that wrist roll may or may not be the root cause...

Lack of height and poor anhyzer/nose angles can make FH flex shots hold over also. Too much anhyzer and lacking height will make it hold over. Too much nose down can cause it to drop as it flexes, if it even comes out at all. There's a sweet spot for 2 angles on a nice forehand flex shot.

I'd just recommend a lot of practice and getting familiar with how your chosen disc acts when trying to throw those shots. Personally, I can throw pretty low line drives and FH flex shots with predators, but I feel like it's not because of the disc persay, but how well I know it and can control the angles.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:14 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 15
Niced 387 Times in 248 Posts

The roc is seriously under rated for this type of shot. I personally don’t like the lack of glide and go OLF but the roc is quite workable and tangible for getting around the woods.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:40 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 2
Niced 342 Times in 255 Posts

Quote:
I CAN throw anything FH, but any disc with a sloped outer wing is prone to sliding in a traditional two finger spread grip. Especially if you pop it hard.

You are probably more of an exception here, since the majority of people who FH a lot do it with with things like Firebirds, Justices, Gators, Felons, Destroyers and other discs where the top of the wing is fairly flat.
I do use those too, but my wooded shots are usually with Rocs/Comets.