Old 12-17-2017, 11:16 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 619 Times in 532 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhite View Post
I have never chosen to bag an Innova Spider, because there have always been other midranges that I have preferred. But, I have thrown some Spiders in a ball field on a few occasions when testing midranges that were new to me.

Spiders were available in DX, Champion and Star plastics then; not sure if they are still sold in Champion now. I suppose I liked the Star plastic models best, but felt that the rim on a Spider seemed too shallow/small for my hand. I ended up bagging Star Cros for a couple of years, and then eventually turned to throwing putters (Shield, Harp) for most anything under 270 ft.

From what I remember, I do not think that I would choose to throw Spiders more than 270 ft because they did not seem stable enough to reliably handle the velocity required to get to that distance. If a person wants to use one for shorter distances, and likes the feel of the rim, it will probably be a fine approach disc.
Nope gone, not a popular enough mold to warrant having a Champion mold. I would get Star if I used the disc but the Spider seems to be a disc I would only use for approach shots and I have other discs for that.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2017, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
Nope gone, not a popular enough mold to warrant having a Champion mold. I would get Star if I used the disc but the Spider seems to be a disc I would only use for approach shots and I have other discs for that.
Those other discs do more too Sharks old plastic Pro Shark and a Star Shark both 175 grams or about that.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:25 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 71
Niced 1,009 Times in 234 Posts

I bag a Champion Spider, and keep a few for back-ups and practicing. I use it for controlled shots that need to go a particular distance and then most emphatically stop flying.

I don't care for Star Spiders. They feel and fly weirdly to me. Champion ones, though, are just great.

Niced: (3)
Old 12-17-2017, 11:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 33
Niced 1,017 Times in 485 Posts

I used to throw a nice pearly blue champ Spider.

Great disc, just graduated to Rocs after awhile.

A friend of mine still bags one and throws it at least once a round.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-17-2017, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova P View Post
I bag a Champion Spider, and keep a few for back-ups and practicing. I use it for controlled shots that need to go a particular distance and then most emphatically stop flying.

I don't care for Star Spiders. They feel and fly weirdly to me. Champion ones, though, are just great.
The Star in most brands of disc feel off to me now, the molding for the discs is not what it used to be,heavy flashing seems to be common on the discs and they have so much dome compared to other plastics for the same disc. I had a new in late 2016 Shark without flight numbers on it and it had both the dome and flashing problem I feel that the 175 gram disc is actually 174 now that it has lost all that flashing.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:45 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 116
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 615 Times in 299 Posts

I bagged at least 1 spider for years and years. Used to be a go to approach disc for lots of shots, FH and BH.

The spider kind of naturally moved out of my bag over the past few years. I think I could still throw Spiders well for a lot of uses, probably even more than I used to. However, I sort of re-learned to throw with cleaner form, and part of that process was working a lot with Rocs. For me the Roc has proven more versatile and a little longer. (That's partly because I've come to love DX and Pro Rocs, whereas the Spiders I threw were always old champ that never really beat in at the speeds I was throwing Spiders.)

Anyway, the Spider now fits into a sort of non-gap between my Roc cycle and various throwing putters that cover shorter approach shots.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:04 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 30
Niced 427 Times in 236 Posts

I usually bag 2. I rotate between a CE mini proto stamp, a Proline and a multipurpse stamp. I also bag rocs. I go with the spiders when I need something in between a putter and a roc. The people that I know that throw them would never be without one again.

Niced: (2)
Old 12-18-2017, 01:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 136
Niced 228 Times in 100 Posts

Spider-lover for many years. It is the best all-purpose disc ever. I learned short FH approaches with it, scoobies, thumbers, tweener shots, escape rollers, anny FH's - you name it, the Spider does it all in the woods.

It's the perfect 'crap-what-do-I-do-here' disc. Which sucks because now that I live in a land of wide-open courses and wind, I really don't have any use for it. Sometimes I bring one along just to get my friend some fresh air and recall the good times we have had...sigh.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 82
Niced 130 Times in 82 Posts

I have buddy that we started playing back in the late 90's. He clicked with spider and has been loyally dedicated ever since. He throws old prolines and champ spiders further than I can throw any mid. Pisses me off too because he's the big, fat, bearded guy with 2- 24oz in his back pockets, and shows up with one disc, a spider, and proceeds to kill it on the course. Grrrrrr.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:50 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 30
Niced 427 Times in 236 Posts

Mini bump...
I am making a conscious effort to learn to flick this year. Spiders are my favorite mid to fh. Very predictable flight that sits down fast.