I have never seen anyone throw a Spider 50 34.72%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-08-2019, 10:02 AM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 18.4
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,061 Times in 552 Posts

^To add to that, "distance driver" Banshees existed and are known to represent a certain era of Champ plastic. Now they're labeled fairway drivers.

Times change Case, be it technological advances or mere marketing efforts.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 01-09-2019, 09:19 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.1
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1,085 Times in 902 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
^To add to that, "distance driver" Banshees existed and are known to represent a certain era of Champ plastic. Now they're labeled fairway drivers.

Times change Case, be it technological advances or mere marketing efforts.
Same with Eagle, my dad had a Eagle with the Long Range Diver on it too. Most discs out up to early 2000's about 2003-2004 that are now Fairway Drivers were once Long Range Drivers and Drivers out at same time had Ultra Long Range Driver on the discs. These discs had the Double circle stamp logo or later the flat profile disc Innova logo on them with the single Circle stamp. The Later discs with the flat profile disc Innova logo were the ones correctly labeled as the discs in the categories they were placed in on the Innova Charts.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:55 PM

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

I bag one and have for years, its the first mid range i got when it was in champion plastic because the foxy lady at the store said she liked it. Don,t have her but i still got a spider though. It,s pretty much the good old reliable go to disc unless something else makes more sense. Lost the champ so now i have a short stack of stars.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-28-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiePan View Post
I bag one and have for years, its the first mid range i got when it was in champion plastic because the foxy lady at the store said she liked it. Don,t have her but i still got a spider though. It,s pretty much the good old reliable go to disc unless something else makes more sense. Lost the champ so now i have a short stack of stars.
Yep they make sense for some, one of my uncles he uses a DX Spider as his putter and another DX Spider as his very short midrange/approach disc. The uncle wanted in 2000 a Magnet the depth of a XD but with a Magnet wing, well the big bead Spider was as close as he could get at the time. I remember asking him why he putts with such a disc and he told me why as mentioned above as well at the time in 2000 Innova, Discraft, Lighting, and Gateway did not make a putter he liked having felt the top selling putters they made at the time. Now, that uncle might be able to find a putter labeled as a putter he likes with all the different brands making discs but he is so used to the Spider that he could not switch. I would like to think if that uncle were starting now, he would use a Hydra as his putter as that is almost the lower profile Magnet he was looking for.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:36 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 35
Niced 157 Times in 95 Posts

The worst disc golfer got his only ace with a spider. I was there ti witness.

Old 09-29-2019, 04:47 PM

I have a question that I might have asked before... Why did Innova and its owner Dave D stop making the Spider in DX?
Old 09-29-2019, 05:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 814 Times in 389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
I have a question that I might have asked before... Why did Innova and its owner Dave D stop making the Spider in DX?
Sales.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lines View Post
Sales.
I always thought the DX Spider was more popular then the Star Version as that is what I see most players having for an approach disc if they are using the Spider. One person I saw had a Star for driving putter/woods shots but he was the exception. I bet an R-Pro Spider for those sit moments like using the mold for an short midrange/long approach and would sell very well. Anyhow If one wants a DX Spider like disc, take a DX Gator and beat it in to the right flight. I know DX Gator is not the same thing as a DX Spider is a taller height then a DX Gator. I hope in limited runs a DX/XT Spider comes out, XT more likely as a Limited Run Disc.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 584 Times in 378 Posts

I suspect (pun not intended edit) we might be approaching a small diameter midrange resurgence. The Malta is a little smaller than the Roc/Wasp etc., I really like the Mortar, the Zone and Harp are nearly mids as are the Mirage and Sol... I like the idea of maybe bagging a Buzzz for straight stuff, plus small diameter bookends for a little more action in the air for OS shots and turnovers.

Old 10-01-2019, 03:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.1
Niced 443 Times in 228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
I suspect (pun not intended edit) we might be approaching a small diameter midrange resurgence.
I agree and have been thinking the same thing for a while now. Forehand shots are too important to today's game, and the wider diameter doesn't seem to suit that throwing style. The vast majority of high level players happily sacrifice glide for stability, especially for mid-range distance approaches.