Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 01-07-2019, 01:55 PM

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 59
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Are there Manufacturer Demo Days?

Long story short, I came into disc golf 3 years ago with my wife and 10yo kid after breaking my back snowboarding. I shouldn't be trying to ride like I did when I was sponsored and 18yo as a 40+yo!

We don't do leagues, been to top major pro tournaments (adults and kids), lots of shops around the southeast USA (live in Raleigh), clinics with pros, even the shop down in Augusta. Maybe there was something Innova did at the championship that we missed?

Haven't found a a wide open, manufacturer driven, here are most of the discs in our lines and a big range of weights, have fun out in this field. Not even close. In the snowboard world, they are common at most resorts, usually in the Spring. I don't see how any shop could do this. I am super frustrated learning that manufacturers have ramped up lightweight discs that my kid can use... how would I have known that? He even went to a youth championship tournament awhile back, kids were pros, and we didn't "pick up" on that. I see plenty of shops lay discs out at events, but of course, limited and letting the public destroy their inventory would be unwise, lol.

Are there "Demo Days" at all in our industry like I am describing in any shape or form?
Sponsored Links

Last edited by LupusYonderboy; 01-07-2019 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:07 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 24 Times in 10 Posts

Coming from a ski pro background ive long wished for this. I have seen a local shop do this once with a select few discs. You may want to check that avenue.

I think this would be a natural fit at big A tier tournaments in regional areas. If i ran my own brand Demo Days at big regional tournaments in each geographic area would be one of the first things i did.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:16 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,836 Times in 1,376 Posts

My "paratrooper's knees" and skis do not work well together. Aside from that I don't know of any DG demo days by any manufacturers. It sounds like a reasonable idea, and there are similar ideas of 'rent-a-disc', where one can rent a disc for (say) $2, throw it around, swap it for another disc to throw around, etc.

Having said all that, there's a ton of info out there about all kinds of aspects of DG. Just gotta sift through it for the nuggets that improve your own game..
Old 01-07-2019, 02:40 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 118 Times in 62 Posts

If I remember correctly, Disc Nation in Austin, TX?? has a driving range that you can try out anything.

Not quite the same thing as a demo day. There are plenty of ball/stick/stupid golf pro-shops and stores that will have demo days. I suppose that maybe disc golf just isn't quite there yet.

Old 01-07-2019, 02:45 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 892 Times in 602 Posts

At the DD two disc events I’ve played, they will let you try out most of what they have. They did some events in GA back in the summer.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 871 Times in 494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LupusYonderboy View Post
Long story short, I came into disc golf 3 years ago with my wife and 10yo kid after breaking my back snowboarding. I shouldn't be trying to ride like I did when I was sponsored and 18yo as a 40+yo!

We don't do leagues, been to top major pro tournaments (adults and kids), lots of shops around the southeast USA (live in Raleigh), clinics with pros, even the shop down in Augusta. Maybe there was something Innova did at the championship that we missed?

Haven't found a a wide open, manufacturer driven, here are most of the discs in our lines and a big range of weights, have fun out in this field. Not even close. In the snowboard world, they are common at most resorts, usually in the Spring. I don't see how any shop could do this. I am super frustrated learning that manufacturers have ramped up lightweight discs that my kid can use... how would I have known that? He even went to a youth championship tournament awhile back, kids were pros, and we didn't "pick up" on that. I see plenty of shops lay discs out at events, but of course, limited and letting the public destroy their inventory would be unwise, lol.

Are there "Demo Days" at all in our industry like I am describing in any shape or form?
I am not a big fan of their discs, but I have seen Prodigy do this at the Tennessee State Championship (ok...at a local shop, but on said weekend).

This was a nice event that Will hosted and I think it would behoove other manufacturers to take note.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 19
Niced 871 Times in 494 Posts

Perhaps you could contact Prodigy and see if they are planning an Demo event in your area?
Old 01-07-2019, 07:08 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 1
Niced 1,035 Times in 527 Posts

Do they do that at GYROpalooza?

Niced: (1)
Old 01-08-2019, 12:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,402 Times in 1,534 Posts

Make friends with a disc buying addict and play some rounds with them...ask to try some stuff that looks like it'd work for you on holes with low/no risk of losing the disc.

I know when I play with someone who has a giant arm I love seeing how some of my plastic flies for them, or if I play with someone who is missing X slot in their bag I want to see if something I have lets them throw that line, so to me it's not irritating at all either way. Plus generally people who buy the hot new discs every week want others to be excited about what they got too.

Niced: (2)

Old 01-08-2019, 12:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 171
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 125 Times in 80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle pennybags View Post
If I remember correctly, Disc Nation in Austin, TX?? has a driving range that you can try out anything.

Not quite the same thing as a demo day. There are plenty of ball/stick/stupid golf pro-shops and stores that will have demo days. I suppose that maybe disc golf just isn't quite there yet.
Yup, Disc Nation has a driving range behind their shop that you throw across. The only caveat is they have specified tester discs so you do not have a chance to throw the exact disc from the shelf before you buy.

Niced: (1)