Old 04-01-2010, 11:46 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.1
Niced 695 Times in 314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyith View Post
you guys are reading way too much into all this. its interesting to know but you shouldn't dwell so much on it. if you fill your head with all this non-sense eventually you wont be able to just play the game. this is the same as the color argument. go out and throw instead of searching through disc after disc and driving miles away. your time will be better spent.
For your priorities, yes... you are correct. Not everyone has the same priorities. This thread is aimed at people who like to nerd-out over disc selection.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by Marmoset; 04-01-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:51 AM
Double Eagle Member

I personally like knowing why my discs are doing the things they are doing. This helps me with disc selection and saves me money. These are 2 of my priorities. As I mentioned before, I don't really do tourneys. That is someone else's priority and they play for different reasons than me.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post
For your priorities, yes... you are correct. Not everyone has the same priorities. This thread is aimed at people who like to nerd-out over disc selection.
It also would play a bit of a role if you are one that prefers only a few molds in wear stages/variations. I have some DX Eagle-Xs. Some are older (but in new condition) and some are more recent. The newer ones are more stable than the older ones. The observation I have made is the older run ones have a bit more dome and the wing is sloped downward a bit more. The newer run ones are a bit flatter and the wing isn't so sloped. This would support what we know about disc stability within a given mold.

Now, I don't happen to have one of each in front of me, but after a better understanding of Marmoset's explaination (excellent, BTW, both the original and the mold variation summary), I could compare PLH and the domier, sloped one will be lower. The PLH serves as an obvious point that could be measured, as opposed to trying to compare the angles, which is harder to do. Put them on a flat surface and look at them, and being a part-time nerd, I'll do it tonight.

So I carry one of each...

Marmoset, FWIW, I work in plastic extrusion. Different industry, but the same challenges with plastics and polymers, so I do understand and appreciate your explainations.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:58 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 23
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
lol...I feel like I've seen you explain this SOOOOO many times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyith View Post
you guys are reading way too much into all this. its interesting to know but you shouldn't dwell so much on it. if you fill your head with all this non-sense eventually you wont be able to just play the game. this is the same as the color argument. go out and throw instead of searching through disc after disc and driving miles away. your time will be better spent.
But these things do make a difference for people that like to receive the same disc that they had previously. I'm not a pro by any means, but even I've been able to tell when a replacement disc doesn't have the same properties as what I was looking for...or when I've bought 2 discs so that I could have an identical back up and one flies differently than the other. By looking at the PLH you have a better chance of ending up with what you want. One of the biggest parts of DG is consistency... It's pretty hard to be consistent if you can't get a disc that has the same flight characteristics as what you've spent several months/years practicing with.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdggna View Post
lol...I feel like I've seen you explain this SOOOOO many times.
Yeah, I got tired of explaining it so I figured it was time for a thread. Now I can send people here instead of re-explaining it all.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdggna View Post
...I'm not a pro by any means, but even I've been able to tell when a replacement disc doesn't have the same properties as what I was looking for...
I remember a well respected pro saying there were 2 parts to learning your discs. The first is to learn what the disc mold will/won't do for you and the second is to learn what the specific disc you are holding will/won't do for you.
He's basically recognizing the variations between "identical" discs.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 18
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Yeah. I know. I used to buy a ton of stuff online but now I really want to fondle before I buy. Maybe I'll make an annual pilgrimage to CDGS, DGC, MS, etc.
PIAS just doesn't have the selection.

I hate bothering the guys at the online stores. I'd rather do it myself anyway; "if you want a job done right, ..."
The absolute best guys to talk to from an online store that know exactly what you are talking about are the Marshall Street guys. They are pretty much the only guys I buy from online, and I always call them directly to talk to them before purchasing so they can pick the exact disc out that I want. Plus, if I have any questions at all on fight characteristics of the disc I'm looking at, they usually know everything about it. Absolutely great guys.

The folks from CDGC are pretty awesome too. Their online chat screen does the exact same thing, and they too take their time to find just what you want. Their knowledge of disc golf is superb too.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volmed10 View Post
...The folks from CDGC are pretty awesome too. Their online chat screen does the exact same thing, and they too take their time to find just what you want. Their knowledge of disc golf is superb too.
Discspeed is sponsored by Cleawater Disc Golf Store. I got him to hand pick very specific discs for me... specific shape, plastic, weight, color, flight characteristics. He nailed it on all 3. I don't know what he's charging for this service (or IF he's charging anything) but I can recommend him. IMO he knows his stuff and he's the next best thing to me picking out my own discs.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.1
Courses Played: 99
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 427 Times in 165 Posts

Simple solution to this............ take your new discs and smooth off that PLH(actually called flash).

The best way i've found to do this without altering the nose shape is rubbing the disc across low-pile, berber-type carpet. It basically melts off that extra plastic.

That same extra plastic appears on the inner edge of the inside opening(which has cut my fingers open before) and I remove it the same way.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAnhyzer View Post
Simple solution to this............ take your new discs and smooth off that PLH(actually called flash).

The best way i've found to do this without altering the nose shape is rubbing the disc across low-pile, berber-type carpet. It basically melts off that extra plastic.

That same extra plastic appears on the inner edge of the inside opening(which has cut my fingers open before) and I remove it the same way.

I think you are answering a question that wasn't asked.
Or even hinted at.