Old 04-01-2010, 12:40 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 18
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post
I remember a well respected pro saying there were 2 parts to learning your discs. The first is to learn what the disc mold will/won't do for you and the second is to learn what the specific disc you are holding will/won't do for you.
He's basically recognizing the variations between "identical" discs.
I couldn't agree with this and the post by jdggna more.

The best example that I can think of at two identical Champion Destroyers that I have. Same mold, same color, same weight; the only difference is the color of the stamp. One of them flies as a Destroyer is designed to fly (ad it is a great disc), the other flies like a faster Firebird.... its a complete meathook. I even let one of my friends who has a bigger arm than I do, and he couldn't get it to turn over. This is one of the reasons I won't buy a disc online unless I talk to a knowledgeable person first.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2010, 12:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 88
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 855 Times in 442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAnhyzer View Post
Simple solution to this............ take your new discs and smooth off that PLH(actually called flash).

The best way i've found to do this without altering the nose shape is rubbing the disc across low-pile, berber-type carpet. It basically melts off that extra plastic.

That same extra plastic appears on the inner edge of the inside opening(which has cut my fingers open before) and I remove it the same way.
Parting Line Height has nothing to do with the amount of flashing on a disc.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 25
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to AdamCaudle

Really informative read. Thanks Marmoset!
Old 04-01-2010, 12:44 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 18
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAnhyzer View Post
Simple solution to this............ take your new discs and smooth off that PLH(actually called flash).

The best way i've found to do this without altering the nose shape is rubbing the disc across low-pile, berber-type carpet. It basically melts off that extra plastic.

That same extra plastic appears on the inner edge of the inside opening(which has cut my fingers open before) and I remove it the same way.
Doing this (to the underside flashing) will actually help the glide as well. I removed this after reading discspeed write about it, and it really has changed the flight and glide of the discs I've removed it from.

And aren't the PLH and flashing two different things? You can remove the side flashing from the PLH, but the actual PLH remains constant even after removing the flashing side it is intrinsic to each disc, correct?

Last edited by volmed10; 04-01-2010 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.1
Niced 695 Times in 314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by volmed10 View Post
And doing this (especially the underside flashing) will actually help the glide as well. I removed this after reading discspeed write about it, and it really has changed the flight and glide of the discs I've removed it from.
Because flashing is incidental, when you remove it you are putting the disc into its intended state. That flashing was not designed into the disc, it just happened to be there because of mold wear/misalignment.

When you say it changed the flight and glide of the disc you are actually saying, "now it flies as Dave D intended."

Sanding off the flashing is the one "modification" that I think should be allowed in PDGA rules. In my understanding the current rules do not allow for it. You are specifically altering the disc to change flight characteristics (which is illegal) but you are basically "putting it back to stock." So I think it should be allowed.

Noone would know if you did it so I'm sure people are doing this already. And more heinous things.

Last edited by Marmoset; 04-01-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:50 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.1
Niced 695 Times in 314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
Parting Line Height has nothing to do with the amount of flashing on the nose of a disc.
Fixed.
The PLH will raise by the same amount as the height of the flashing on the lowest lip (or bead) of a disc.

Last edited by Marmoset; 04-01-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.1
Courses Played: 99
Niced 426 Times in 164 Posts

Quote:
The offset you see(difference in overall disc diameter) at the parting line IS designed into the mold........ to eliminate/reduce the amount of flash the disc will have in that area.

My years of interior trim design at GM showing, sorry
Old 04-01-2010, 01:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 31
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Because flashing is incidental, when you remove it you are putting the disc into its intended state. That flashing was not designed into the disc, it just happened to be there because of mold wear/misalignment.

When you say it changed the flight and glide of the disc you are actually saying, "now it flies as Dave D intended."

Sanding off the flashing is the one "modification" that I think should be allowed in PDGA rules. In my understanding the current rules do not allow for it. You are specifically altering the disc to change flight characteristics (which is illegal) but you are basically "putting it back to stock." So I think it should be allowed.

Noone would know if you did it so I'm sure people are doing this already. And more heinous things.
I've started removing the flashing on my discs, as well. It's always on the outermost point of the wing (as shown) and some models have it on the bead (or the bottom of the wing in the inner part of the rim) It's more of a comfort thing. I try to cut it off where it's bigger, and then sand it smooth, with minimal impact on the wing/bead.

I agree that the rules should allow for this. Do they specifically mention "flashing" in the rules or is more of an interpretation of the general disc altering portion? jA sort of letter of the law vs. the spirit of the law...
Old 04-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothyfish View Post
Interesting...what I'm trying to understand is this: How can the parting line move if it is formed by the union of two solid pieces of metal? I could see offset, as I have encountered this in my own occupation, but the up-and down shift is harder to understand.
I was gonna ask the same question. Marmoset explained it very well. I've heard about PLH but didn't understand until now. It's really only a point to compare discs from the same mold. When I tune an Epic, I am changing the PLH. Great thread.

Last edited by leppard; 04-01-2010 at 01:36 PM.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:43 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 21
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothyfish View Post
I agree that the rules should allow for this. Do they specifically mention "flashing" in the rules or is more of an interpretation of the general disc altering portion? jA sort of letter of the law vs. the spirit of the law...
I'm kinda under the gun to get some work done so I can't go digging through the PDGA rulebook right now, but I remember something in there about allowing the light sanding of sharp dings that would abrade your hand by throwing. Since throwing discs in a field with flashing on the sides or bottom tears up my hands, I interpret this to mean, "if it's hurting you, you can sand it off. Don't go crazy." But am I totally mistaken about this?

Of course, once it's been thrown a couple hundred times in the field, the sanding's pretty well gone. Especially if there's pavement/OB nearby