Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 03-07-2019, 07:41 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 131 Times in 72 Posts

Well, that last picture makes me feel much better about myself. My biggest weakness is putters. Not that I have a dozen of one mold, but I just seem to have to try them all. I am getting better, haven't bought a disc for probably 4 months.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2019, 07:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.1
Niced 694 Times in 314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wproct View Post
My biggest weakness is putters.
Me too! The bottom two rows are all putters... and they are about half of the third row.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-08-2019, 01:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 435 Times in 284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post
My stash has gotten out of hand. ...
Are those basic brackets with some nice wood strips screwed on? Simple as that?

I am in search of a bare bones solution to store about 1/4 of that you have there lol.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:05 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 71
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 868 Times in 595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post
Me too! The bottom two rows are all putters... and they are about half of the third row.
That is interesting! I wonder what type of discs the most people tend to accumulate is?

I have made goofy OS drivers sort of my DG passion project. Things like the Rask, Stiletto, Phase and the like are useless novelties to many, they are a fun experiment to me.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-08-2019, 02:32 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 347 Times in 210 Posts

Personally, I have accumulated drivers and putters more quickly than fairways and mids. Different reasons, though. For putters, I have both a stack of Crowns and Envies in baseline plastic for putting practice. Then I've also got my Zones and premium plastic Envies for drives and approaches. For drivers, I've got one disc in a whole bunch of molds. It has taken me much longer to commit to distance driver molds than anything else, so I have a stack of single-disc testers in addition to a small stack of molds that I actually bag like Ballistas, Trespasses, and Waves.

Mids and fairways were different. I've got a couple Teebirds and FDs, plus about three Rocs. Otherwise, all of my mids and fairways are in molds that I regularly bag. It just seems like the potential improvement in switching mids and fairways is relatively low when compared to the risk of losing familiarity with the molds you throw. Drivers and putters are different though. I think most people, myself included, are always open to trying a new driver that will get you 15' more distance, or a new putter mold that just magically finds the chains from anywhere inside 60'.

Old 03-08-2019, 03:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.1
Niced 694 Times in 314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose33 View Post
That is interesting! I wonder what type of discs the most people tend to accumulate is?
Putters for me. Specifically Aviars (73). I have lots of Rhynos (20-ish), Wizards (25-ish), and Magnets (IDK)... but not nearly as many as Aviars. Then I have tons of putter molds where I only have 1-3 samples. I feel like I have tried most putters on the market. Rocs are in second place with 44 discs, and Comets are in third with 40 discs. Note to self: buy at least 4 more Comets... can't let the Rocs win hahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
Are those basic brackets with some nice wood strips screwed on? Simple as that?
Thanks for the interest!
I thought about my solution for a week or two and settled on this design. I went from 42 of those Sterilite containers to everything fitting on this wall. I like this solution much better because I can easily thumb through the library. No more opening 6 containers before I find what I'm looking for. Good riddance! I think what you see in the photo is $100 IIRC.

Brackets (@ my local store, the price drops to $1.60 each if you buy 10 or more):
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Style-Selec...racket/4651459

wood (gotta pick through to find the straight ones)(pick smoother wood if you don't want any chance of splinters):
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Severe-Weat...umber/50279773

string:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Marshalltow...ing/1000101945

and various screws to hold it all together.

1. screw the brackets to the wall, make sure you hit studs
2. screw the 1x2s to the brackets, pre-drill the screw holes so you don't split the wood
3. tie one end of the string to the bottom shelf's back wood.
4. criss-cross your way up to the top shelf and then back down to the bottom. I think each string was about 18' IIRC. Be sure to keep the string as tight as possible as you weave it in and out of each shelf. I wound around each wood piece one time as I passed by it; I'm hoping this helps retain the tension.
5. tie the other end of the string to the bottom shelf's front wood.
6. repeat 3-5 for as many "bookends" as you want.

I like the result. it is plenty stout for the discs it holds. The string is for "bookends" so the discs have something to rest against. Otherwise, the discs could turn sideways and fall through between the two wood pieces. I did one bracket on every stud, I didn't skip any studs. I also did a string on every stud/bracket, then one in between every stud. Probably overkill, but I don't care.

There are several ways to achieve the bookends, the string was the cheapest and easiest. The string will likely stretch and loosen over time. I can always tighten or re-string if needed. Plus, the string is adjustable... so if I want to section off types of discs, I can just move the string. There are more robust solutions, this one works fine for me. I just need to add some kind of bookend to the top shelf so those can stand upright too.

My biggest beef is that the brackets break up the shelf space because the discs want to sit lower than the bracket will allow. Use taller boards (maybe turn the 1x2s onto their short edge?) to have un-interrupted spans of discs.

Niced: (4)