Old 10-17-2018, 04:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 398 Times in 229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post
I think there are stipulations with the PDGA that if you cover and event it has to be next day and you can't charge. But that might only be if the PDGA pays to have you there. Not 100% sure on that.
I'm sure that is the case currently, they would need to have complete control and go solo I'm guessing.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2018, 09:59 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 61
Niced 22 Times in 15 Posts

It seems strange to me to hear the disc golf media typically say they just do this to grow the sport or because they love the sport and want to support it somehow, or for ANY and ALL reason besides money...yet here we are everybody looking for money for content they produce while covering disc golf.
Old Yesterday, 12:49 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 124 Times in 74 Posts

I love watching the Jomez videos. CCDG is also good- I prefer having players do the commentary(especially Nate and Jerm), but I still watch their videos and enjoy them.

I would not pay to watch disc golf.
Old Yesterday, 07:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.8
Courses Played: 142
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,897 Times in 811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Bright View Post
It seems strange to me to hear the disc golf media typically say they just do this to grow the sport or because they love the sport and want to support it somehow, or for ANY and ALL reason besides money...yet here we are everybody looking for money for content they produce while covering disc golf.
Doing it for the love of the sport only goes so far if you don't have funding. These guys are making some money through Patreon and tournaments/PDGA paying them to cover events, but what's wrong with trying to increase that income? More money means better production...more cameras, more camera operators, more editors, more coverage.

People whine that live coverage is "boring" because all it usually is is two cameras following one card. Imagine if they had the budget to put four or five or six or ten cameras in the field and cover two or three or four cards at once. Ditto that for the post-produced stuff. What if Jomez could field a 12 man camera crew plus a 3-4 man editing crew that turns out next day videos of the top 3-4 cards at [pick your NT/DGPT/random A-tier]? Is that not better than what we have now? Can't get there without more money for the production. Nothing wrong with kicking around ideas to find that money.

Old Yesterday, 10:36 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 61
Niced 22 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Doing it for the love of the sport only goes so far if you don't have funding. These guys are making some money through Patreon and tournaments/PDGA paying them to cover events, but what's wrong with trying to increase that income? More money means better production...more cameras, more camera operators, more editors, more coverage.
Couldn't agree more. I assumed that's the reasons for accepting donations? Forcing people to pay I personally believe will bring the number of people who watch down a lot, and at that point if people drop Patreon and force to pay per event, their money flow I would predict to be about the same but just strictly guessing.
I'd be curious to know how many people actually watch live now for free, and how many would actually be willing to pay? So far this thread is an overwhelming amount of "No" they wouldn't pay.
Strictly based on looking at the DGPT map of those events and majors/NT's, I cannot see many disc golfers willing to pay ~$285 per year to watch live disc golf. (this is strictly taking JVD's random number of $15 per weekend for an event. This is why more people should be using Patreon or whatever other means to make donations to watch it now because if it comes to that cost, look how much cheaper you're seeing this material now.
Lastly I think comparing other sports that get the draw of the ones mentioned by JVD is not even close to comparable.