Old 11-15-2017, 03:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 79
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 742 Times in 337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Coincidence that this is the only course pic? lol...
Hahaha...Yeah well, I only put up one because I want to wait until the permanent tees are (hopefully) installed this spring along with permanent signage. There is signage up now but its just hastily made laminated maps stapled to 4x4's. That pic was taken long before I wondered about the OB situation here.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2017, 07:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 105
Niced 210 Times in 88 Posts

Hey, there are two cars in that picture.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-15-2017, 08:26 PM
* Ace Member *

And honestly, that's the only time I've seen someone parked down there other than vehicles from folks working on the front nine.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:53 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 20 Times in 15 Posts

What is the vehicle situation on Mothers Day, Easter, 4th of July, Tournament Day? Designing to throw over a road insures conflict. Conflict=DG loses.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 192
Niced 169 Times in 110 Posts

Here is my suggestion. We have a similar situation with a wooden fence on hole #1 at Veterans Park in Arlington, TX, and this is how we play it as a Special Condition on that hole:
Any throws coming to rest beyond or within 1 meter of the wooden fence (whether inbounds or out-of-bounds) are relocated up to one meter from and perpendicular to the wooden fence.
All you have to do is substitute “hedges” for “wooden fence,” leave everything else the same and call it a day. Doesn’t even require waiver.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:05 AM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

If I land there I'm throwing it from there, albeit from a standstill due the risk of stepping OB during a run-up.
As to your problem, I think this is your best Sanctioned Event solution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Yea if the park doesn't want people to throw over that road to begin with, then I think you need to make a mando to force players not to do it.
If that's unpalatable, I think your next best option is the extension of the OB line to include the hedges. This is great for risk/reward play, however it encourages players to throw in a direction the park doesn't want you to throw (but it could work for league/casual play with fewer players throwing that way and less attention from the park as compared to a tournament).

jm2’
Old 11-16-2017, 12:54 PM

Niced 18 Times in 8 Posts

As someone who plays this course fairly frequently, I believe that the best solution is to make the hedge OB.

Right now, the risk-reward of carrying over the OB road is heavily slanted towards the reward. You have to make a really bad shot for an over-stable driver to not skip back into the hedge. If the hedge is OB, players who take the hyzer route will be forced to make a decent shot and keep the disc out of the road.

I really hope that a Mando isn't necessary, because the left line is very luck based and interferes with hole 18.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-16-2017, 02:40 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 51
Niced 188 Times in 125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post
Here is my suggestion. We have a similar situation with a wooden fence on hole #1 at Veterans Park in Arlington, TX, and this is how we play it as a Special Condition on that hole:
Any throws coming to rest beyond or within 1 meter of the wooden fence (whether inbounds or out-of-bounds) are relocated up to one meter from and perpendicular to the wooden fence.
All you have to do is substitute “hedges” for “wooden fence,” leave everything else the same and call it a day. Doesn’t even require waiver.
If you have the other side of the fence as OB, then any throw within 1 m of the fence gets the 1 m relief, regardless of it being closer to the basket or not, no special declarations required.

Rule 802.03D
Quote:
If the position of the thrown disc is in-bounds but within one meter of an out-of-bounds line, the lie may be marked by placing a mini marker disc on the playing surface at any point on a one-meter line that extends perpendicularly from the nearest point on the out-of-bounds line and passes through the center of the thrown disc, even if the direction takes the lie closer to the target. For the purpose of marking the lie, the out-of-bounds line represents a vertical plane.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 192
Niced 169 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjberry2017 View Post
If you have the other side of the fence as OB, then any throw within 1 m of the fence gets the 1 m relief, regardless of it being closer to the basket or not, no special declarations required.

Rule 802.03D
Correct. But the issue is that it’s not OB. In our case the wooden fence is very much like the hedges in the OP’s pictures. Our wooden fence is about a meter and a half on the grass (which we call inbounds) and it is not a straight line. So we still have the curb boundary to the grass as the OB line, but if you’re safe anywhere in there, you take up to 1 meter relief from the wooden fence, as a special condition. Similarly, if you go OB anywhere over there, you also take up to 1 meter relief from the wooden fence.

Old 11-15-2018, 11:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Ok...time to update this thread. We've had two tourneys here and numerous league rounds and what we settled on and what seems to work the best is just to make the hedges OB. In fact, for one tourney this summer I went so far as to mark a line about 1' outside of the hedge boundaries and said that the line itself is OB. Didn't have a single issue. Everyone seemed to handle the situation appropriately. I also found that taking a second to explain to the players the why for the OB went a long ways for people to understand it.

-Dave