Old 11-15-2018, 01:58 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 44.6
Courses Played: 322
Niced 1,122 Times in 583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Under the new OB option the TD can offer where the player can mark the disc at the closest point inbounds to its location, the group will sometimes have to make a judgment on where the disc is located in the water.
[REVERIE]Hold on while I day-dream about Hole 1 at Eureka Temp being a par 3 with this rule.....[/REVERIE]

Anyway, since the muddy casual puddle QA somehow made its way into being official, that's another rule that requires the group to make a judgment on where the disc is located. As is the rule for when a disc is moved after it establishes position, or when a floating disc gets blown across casual water.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2018, 09:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 54
Niced 15 Times in 6 Posts

There is a course here in Ky. that has storm drains with thick round grates where a disc could fall in. Let's say a disc falls through and lands 10 feet below the grate. Everyone can see the disc but it is un-retrievable. Is this considered a lost disc? If your shot was from the tee do you go back and re-tee throwing three?
Old 11-15-2018, 09:30 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 29.7
Courses Played: 668
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 944 Times in 479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody View Post
There is a course here in Ky. that has storm drains with thick round grates where a disc could fall in. Let's say a disc falls through and lands 10 feet below the grate. Everyone can see the disc but it is un-retrievable. Is this considered a lost disc? If your shot was from the tee do you go back and re-tee throwing three?
Call it landing below the surface which you mark up on the playing surface 805.01.C. No penalty.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-15-2018, 09:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 54
Niced 15 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Call it landing below the surface which you mark up on the playing surface 805.01.C. No penalty.
And if you can't see it even though everyone saw it drop through the grate?
Old 11-15-2018, 09:59 PM

Quote:
And if you can't see it even though everyone saw it drop through the grate?
I think a similar argument could be stretched if the group saw it disappear, you could use the Fairness rule to mark it by the grate with no penalty. However, the fault here is with the course rules which should have specified landing in the storm drains as either casual or OB. Then, lost/OB rule (or equivalency) could be applied appropriately.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:03 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 21
Niced 32 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Under the new OB option the TD can offer where the player can mark the disc at the closest point inbounds to its location, the group will sometimes have to make a judgment on where the disc is located in the water.

But wouldn't this rule usually be used with OB, where the disc is easily found, such as "artificial" OB, and not so much water OB? I know that is an asumption on my part, and a TD can do it, but I would think a good TD wouldn't use this rule, where the disc would be dificult to locate/retrieve in the OB area.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21
Courses Played: 144
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,056 Times in 878 Posts

Quote:
To be clear, a lost disc according to the rules is one that can't be located, not one that can't be retrieved. If you can see the disc, there's absolutely no reason to treat it as lost. Play from above it per 805.01.C.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-16-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoakimBL View Post
But wouldn't this rule usually be used with OB, where the disc is easily found, such as "artificial" OB, and not so much water OB? I know that is an assumption on my part, and a TD can do it, but I would think a good TD wouldn't use this rule, where the disc would be difficult to locate/retrieve in the OB area.
Yes, "best practice" would be to use this marking option for OB areas where the disc could easily be seen/retrieved. But we know that best practices are not always followed.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:33 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 67
Niced 161 Times in 92 Posts

Yes, "best practice" would be to use this marking option ONLY for OB areas where the disc could easily be seen/retrieved. But using this OB option is not necessarily best practice depending on course design.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:44 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 63
Niced 52 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerplunk View Post
I was spectating a friend's card recently and he threw into a large, deep, muddy puddle that was designated as casual water. It was a skins round, and the guy he was playing against mentioned that the disc would need to be found for my friend to get casual relief. I said that I thought the group could agree to the approximate location of the disc, but he replied if the disc was not found it must be treated as a lost disc, so rethrow with added stroke. Upon further reflection I agree, as much as I don't like it.

The disc ended up being found so it didn't really matter, but I thought you fellow rules enthusiasts would like this one.
How big is this "puddle" such that a disc gets lost in it?