#11  
Old 11-14-2018, 09:51 AM
VictorB's Avatar
VictorB VictorB is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 88
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,245
Niced 577 Times in 311 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderEagle View Post
No, Smashboxx, Jomez and CCDG will not be involved. Apparently Cory from CCDG commented on Dixon's facebook page last night that if they want to film MPO3 or FPO2, they can, but MPO 1 & 2 and FPO 1 will be all DGPT for both live and post.
Just from this post, seems Dodge wants to push the real pros out so they can get all of those sweet, sweet, youtube views.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-14-2018, 10:02 AM
lenfantsuave lenfantsuave is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 76
Niced 115 Times in 39 Posts
Default

This seems like a pretty bad deal for the media channels. If they agree to film the content but can’t publish it, they’re losing all of the value inherent in their channel. I’m very skeptical to say the least.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-14-2018, 10:04 AM
ThunderEagle ThunderEagle is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Chesterland, OH
Years Playing: 0.5
Courses Played: 22
Posts: 173
Niced 173 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
Just from this post, seems Dodge wants to push the real pros out so they can get all of those sweet, sweet, youtube views.
Oh, it is absolutely about consolidating all of the views under the DGPT channel, and branding it all DGPT. Those 100K Subscribers Jomez has is enticing I'm sure.

I highly question if they can get the right skill sets in place to pull off both live and post with the same quality we expect. You can talk about the commentators all you want, but getting the signals setup, working the switch boxes that do the streaming, post editing with all of the graphics, slow motion, follow flights, etc. The work CCDG does in getting most of the discs everyone on the card is throwing, etc.

I guess we'll see how it all shakes out, but I'm pretty sure it will be worse before it gets better. I personally hated the USDGC coverage, I tuned out quickly at the start, and then tuned in to the last 4 or 5 holes at the end.

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-14-2018, 10:06 AM
VictorB's Avatar
VictorB VictorB is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 88
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,245
Niced 577 Times in 311 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderEagle View Post
I personally hated the USDGC coverage, I tuned out quickly at the start, and then tuned in to the last 4 or 5 holes at the end.
I watched about 10 minutes of the live coverage, then just fired up the post production video later. It just wasn't interesting to watch the same 4-5 holes (even if hole 5 was one of them)

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-14-2018, 10:07 AM
biscoe biscoe is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: spotsylvania, va
Years Playing: 23.6
Courses Played: 94
Posts: 5,873
Niced 922 Times in 430 Posts
Default

It's obviously all going to be carried on ESPN.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-14-2018, 10:30 AM
DiscJunkie's Avatar
DiscJunkie DiscJunkie is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Wilmington, NC
Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 4,337
Niced 315 Times in 131 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderEagle View Post
Oh, it is absolutely about consolidating all of the views under the DGPT channel, and branding it all DGPT. Those 100K Subscribers Jomez has is enticing I'm sure.

I highly question if they can get the right skill sets in place to pull off both live and post with the same quality we expect. You can talk about the commentators all you want, but getting the signals setup, working the switch boxes that do the streaming, post editing with all of the graphics, slow motion, follow flights, etc. The work CCDG does in getting most of the discs everyone on the card is throwing, etc.

I guess we'll see how it all shakes out, but I'm pretty sure it will be worse before it gets better. I personally hated the USDGC coverage, I tuned out quickly at the start, and then tuned in to the last 4 or 5 holes at the end.
Agreed on a couple points.
First, it will probably be pretty bad while they re-invent the wheel that SB, CCDG, and Jomez, etc have already refined.

Second, HATED the USDGC coverage. I can appreciate the fact they were trying something new, but it was un-watchable to me. I am an avid DG video fanatic, but I didn't tune in for more than 15 minutes, tops. Show me the action, not a talking head!! I can't stress enough how disappointing the USDGC coverage was for me.

Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-14-2018, 11:01 AM
turbosteve's Avatar
turbosteve turbosteve is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Rock Hill
Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 853
Niced 41 Times in 27 Posts
Default

This doesn’t make sense to me. Why wouldn’t you want jomez filming post production? Especially considering the fact that they are about to reach 100000 subscribers and final round videos are consistently reaching six figures in viewership. Plus they are doing a shoot with Brodie Smith which will bring them more viewers. I’m really glad that the PDGA didn’t give Steve Dodge $400,000. This is going to set the sport back a lot and will kill the momentum. The pros need to threaten a boycott because there is no way the dgpt videos get the viewership that jomez gives them. The pros won’t get that exposure and it could hurt their tour series discs sales which is where they really make their money.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-14-2018, 11:07 AM
ThrowBot's Avatar
ThrowBot ThrowBot is online now
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Billings, MT
Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 110
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 1,276
Niced 551 Times in 276 Posts
Default

I don't see why you would want to eschew all the help you can get from Jomez and CCDG. Seems short-sighted. I suppose the Pro Tour wants to control advertising and whatnot (?) but that's a yuge leap to just run your own coverage, cradle-to-grave. I'd thing they'd be better off negotiating with the seasoned production crews, rather than just ditching them to start fresh.

Who does DGPT have on retainer with that level of experience, especially for the post-produced coverage? Nobody that I'm aware of.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-14-2018, 11:12 AM
cwild cwild is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 43
Niced 7 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
It's obviously all going to be carried on ESPN.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
 

  #20  
Old 11-14-2018, 11:18 AM
jvphobic jvphobic is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 705
Niced 980 Times in 239 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowBot View Post
I don't see why you would want to eschew all the help you can get from Jomez and CCDG. Seems short-sighted. I suppose the Pro Tour wants to control advertising and whatnot (?) but that's a yuge leap to just run your own coverage, cradle-to-grave. I'd thing they'd be better off negotiating with the seasoned production crews, rather than just ditching them to start fresh.

Who does DGPT have on retainer with that level of experience, especially for the post-produced coverage? Nobody that I'm aware of.
I honestly don't know. But my guess is that it is someone like PSP who did a lot of their videos at the end of the year. So it is someone that has experience.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Val drops Innova? corin_brown General Disc Golf Chat 356 01-08-2017 07:47 PM
DGPT: Host a Pro Tour House Party: Win a DGPT Zuca Cart! DGPT General Disc Golf Chat 2 09-07-2016 01:15 PM
Consolidated and Price Drops!! MrGlass01 The Marketplace 21 12-29-2012 01:00 PM
February Daily Price Drops ShopTom.com Commercial Marketplace 7 02-29-2012 09:15 AM
January Daily Price Drops ShopTom.com Commercial Marketplace 5 01-31-2012 01:44 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.