Old 11-14-2018, 09:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 88
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 577 Times in 311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderEagle View Post
No, Smashboxx, Jomez and CCDG will not be involved. Apparently Cory from CCDG commented on Dixon's facebook page last night that if they want to film MPO3 or FPO2, they can, but MPO 1 & 2 and FPO 1 will be all DGPT for both live and post.
Just from this post, seems Dodge wants to push the real pros out so they can get all of those sweet, sweet, youtube views.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2018, 10:02 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 16
Niced 115 Times in 39 Posts

This seems like a pretty bad deal for the media channels. If they agree to film the content but can’t publish it, they’re losing all of the value inherent in their channel. I’m very skeptical to say the least.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-14-2018, 10:04 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 0.5
Courses Played: 22
Niced 173 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
Just from this post, seems Dodge wants to push the real pros out so they can get all of those sweet, sweet, youtube views.
Oh, it is absolutely about consolidating all of the views under the DGPT channel, and branding it all DGPT. Those 100K Subscribers Jomez has is enticing I'm sure.

I highly question if they can get the right skill sets in place to pull off both live and post with the same quality we expect. You can talk about the commentators all you want, but getting the signals setup, working the switch boxes that do the streaming, post editing with all of the graphics, slow motion, follow flights, etc. The work CCDG does in getting most of the discs everyone on the card is throwing, etc.

I guess we'll see how it all shakes out, but I'm pretty sure it will be worse before it gets better. I personally hated the USDGC coverage, I tuned out quickly at the start, and then tuned in to the last 4 or 5 holes at the end.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 88
Niced 577 Times in 311 Posts

Quote:
I personally hated the USDGC coverage, I tuned out quickly at the start, and then tuned in to the last 4 or 5 holes at the end.
I watched about 10 minutes of the live coverage, then just fired up the post production video later. It just wasn't interesting to watch the same 4-5 holes (even if hole 5 was one of them)

Old 11-14-2018, 10:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.6
Courses Played: 94
Niced 922 Times in 430 Posts

It's obviously all going to be carried on ESPN.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 315 Times in 131 Posts

Quote:
Oh, it is absolutely about consolidating all of the views under the DGPT channel, and branding it all DGPT. Those 100K Subscribers Jomez has is enticing I'm sure.

I highly question if they can get the right skill sets in place to pull off both live and post with the same quality we expect. You can talk about the commentators all you want, but getting the signals setup, working the switch boxes that do the streaming, post editing with all of the graphics, slow motion, follow flights, etc. The work CCDG does in getting most of the discs everyone on the card is throwing, etc.

I guess we'll see how it all shakes out, but I'm pretty sure it will be worse before it gets better. I personally hated the USDGC coverage, I tuned out quickly at the start, and then tuned in to the last 4 or 5 holes at the end.
Agreed on a couple points.
First, it will probably be pretty bad while they re-invent the wheel that SB, CCDG, and Jomez, etc have already refined.

Second, HATED the USDGC coverage. I can appreciate the fact they were trying something new, but it was un-watchable to me. I am an avid DG video fanatic, but I didn't tune in for more than 15 minutes, tops. Show me the action, not a talking head!! I can't stress enough how disappointing the USDGC coverage was for me.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:01 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 82
Niced 41 Times in 27 Posts

This doesn’t make sense to me. Why wouldn’t you want jomez filming post production? Especially considering the fact that they are about to reach 100000 subscribers and final round videos are consistently reaching six figures in viewership. Plus they are doing a shoot with Brodie Smith which will bring them more viewers. I’m really glad that the PDGA didn’t give Steve Dodge $400,000. This is going to set the sport back a lot and will kill the momentum. The pros need to threaten a boycott because there is no way the dgpt videos get the viewership that jomez gives them. The pros won’t get that exposure and it could hurt their tour series discs sales which is where they really make their money.

Niced: (2)
Old 11-14-2018, 11:07 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 110
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 551 Times in 276 Posts

I don't see why you would want to eschew all the help you can get from Jomez and CCDG. Seems short-sighted. I suppose the Pro Tour wants to control advertising and whatnot (?) but that's a yuge leap to just run your own coverage, cradle-to-grave. I'd thing they'd be better off negotiating with the seasoned production crews, rather than just ditching them to start fresh.

Who does DGPT have on retainer with that level of experience, especially for the post-produced coverage? Nobody that I'm aware of.

Niced: (2)
Old 11-14-2018, 11:12 AM

Niced 7 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
It's obviously all going to be carried on ESPN.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:18 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 980 Times in 239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowBot View Post
I don't see why you would want to eschew all the help you can get from Jomez and CCDG. Seems short-sighted. I suppose the Pro Tour wants to control advertising and whatnot (?) but that's a yuge leap to just run your own coverage, cradle-to-grave. I'd thing they'd be better off negotiating with the seasoned production crews, rather than just ditching them to start fresh.

Who does DGPT have on retainer with that level of experience, especially for the post-produced coverage? Nobody that I'm aware of.
I honestly don't know. But my guess is that it is someone like PSP who did a lot of their videos at the end of the year. So it is someone that has experience.