Old 11-14-2018, 11:26 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 430 Times in 232 Posts

Damn. Pretty obvious attempt at a money grab by DGPT. Personally I doubt I'll watch a DGPT post-produced video this year. Oh well.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 11-14-2018, 11:32 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 110
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 551 Times in 276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post
I honestly don't know. But my guess is that it is someone like PSP who did a lot of their videos at the end of the year. So it is someone that has experience.
Ah, fair point. I forget about the up and comers sometimes.

Saw a few of the PSP videos and they do a great job.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:34 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 82
Niced 41 Times in 27 Posts

This hurts Jomez because it could cause Nate Sexton and Jeremy Koling to miss out on commentary opportunities. It also costs Nate and Big Jerm money as well. This is such a bad move that will set the sport back a couple of years. This will mess up the algorithm which has helped Jomez grow. I’m really upset by this. I’m not watching any DGPT coverage next year.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 33
Niced 757 Times in 365 Posts

Wow, lots of negative comments from people who want DGPT to do things their way.

Clearly they've had some success and I have a feeling this was part of a long term plan.

Niced: (4)
Old 11-14-2018, 11:41 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 76 Times in 27 Posts

I get that people don't like change, but can we take a collective deep breath and let this play out before rushing to judgment?

Some people are forming pretty strong opinions without having watched Steve Dodge on Smashboxx last night. He explained at least part of the reason for this change. He went on to say that he has been talking to Jonathan Gomez from Jomez about next year's DGPT coverage. Who cares if the coverage comes from the DGPT or Jomez if it's Jomez quality?

Instead of this being classified as a money grab, how about considering it being a way for the DGPT to..

1. Simplify...one media team instead of three.
2. Making the coverage more cost effective.
3. Allow them to expand coverage (which Steve talked about last night).

He is running a disc golf pro tour. I don't think Steve is rolling in money. He's done a lot in a short period of time. It's impressive. Big goals involve tough decisions.

And I'm not a Steve fanboy. I've known Terry Miller and JV for almost 20 years and consider them friends. They'll be just fine. It's not a step back. It's a change of direction for them.

Back to the DGPT...let's wait for them to release more information about their media plan and then consume some of it before condemning this change.

Last edited by Glide; 11-14-2018 at 11:43 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-14-2018, 11:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 19
Niced 473 Times in 280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowBot View Post
I'd thing they'd be better off negotiating with the seasoned production crews, rather than just ditching them to start fresh.
I'm sure they have been negotiating with a variety of media outlets the past few months or so preparing for this. "In house" typically just means they hired someone that agreed to not put their own branding on it and allowed the content to be exclusively on the DGPT channel(s). Technically they could still be using the guys behind Jomez, etc, but they just wouldn't be anything else other than hired hands, etc. There are plenty of starving media outlets out there for the taking btw, would not surprise me if Dodge is thinking long term and hired someone cheaper than the rest in return for a long term deal and said.."do it like these guys are doing it", etc, etc.

If it was "ESPN", Dodge would have already been...all..over it.

Not so sure we should feel bad for Jomez and the other media crews. At some point they had to make a decision moving forward: "Do we just want to be a crew for hire, or do we want to build our own brand?" All of them seemed to make the decision to want to build their own brand and compete for our eye balls.

Jomez has 100k subs or getting close to it, perhaps the next move for them is to announce the "Jomez Pro Tour". Would not surprise me one bit. All they would need to do is hire a TD and well.....everything else is already in place in regards to marketing, promotion, and video production. Right?

Old 11-14-2018, 11:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 35.6
Courses Played: 233
Niced 889 Times in 421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glide View Post
I get that people don't like change, but can we take a collective deep breath and let this play out before rushing to judgment?
Lol.....this is NOT approved DGCR behavior.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:57 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 27
Niced 430 Times in 232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
Just from this post, seems Dodge wants to push the real pros out so they can get all of those sweet, sweet, youtube views.
That would be my guess as well.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 198 Times in 88 Posts

The weird thing about this that just hit me: Live was already in-house, technically. It was streamed on the DGPT channel the last two seasons. So maybe Dodge thinks he can do that cheaper?

As for post-production, I would be floored if Jomez decided to work under the DGPT channel instead of his own. No way he bails on 100K subs. And I don't think CCDG would do it, either. So we are likely looking at a world where Dodge gets some of the less-established up-and-comers to work under the Pro Tour banner, much like the Tour Championship. It will be a good case study in seeing how much brand loyalty to certain channels makes a difference, or if viewers will simply go where the action is.

Old 11-14-2018, 12:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 110
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 551 Times in 276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
Not so sure we should feel bad for Jomez and the other media crews. At some point they had to make a decision moving forward: "Do we just want to be a crew for hire, or do we want to build our own brand?" All of them seemed to make the decision to want to build their own brand and compete for our eye balls.
True. And there are still plenty of NT's and a few Majors that the "big name" film crews will be able to cover full force. And MPO3 FPO2 for DGPT events, if they so choose. And presumably their choice of most cards for Rd1 at DGPT events.

If anything, those guys might get a few more weekends per year to be home and see their families!