Disc Golf Center
Old 12-25-2013, 05:51 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default light-weight high speed vs max weight lower speed discs

So I have been playing around with different discs trying to figure out what to throw for my max D. For a references I throw my Rocs 230-275, and Eagles in the 300-350 range. I havent quite found any faster discs than the eagle that I am comfortable throwing consistently. I recently picked up a beat up valk and have been pretty consistently throwing it in the 350-400 range. I then threw one of my buddies first run blizzard katanas and pretty easily hit 450.

So my question is, with a long term goal of continuing to improve my form/distance. Would it be better to continue working with heavier discs in progressively faster speeds, or to throw warp speed discs in very light weights? Or perhaps it is the stability of the disc, would a max weight disc that is just as understable as the blizz katana fly just as far?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2013, 08:18 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueltrain54 View Post
So I have been playing around with different discs trying to figure out what to throw for my max D. For a references I throw my Rocs 230-275, and Eagles in the 300-350 range. I havent quite found any faster discs than the eagle that I am comfortable throwing consistently. I recently picked up a beat up valk and have been pretty consistently throwing it in the 350-400 range. I then threw one of my buddies first run blizzard katanas and pretty easily hit 450.

So my question is, with a long term goal of continuing to improve my form/distance. Would it be better to continue working with heavier discs in progressively faster speeds, or to throw warp speed discs in very light weights? Or perhaps it is the stability of the disc, would a max weight disc that is just as understable as the blizz katana fly just as far?
Discs in Blizzard plastic (130-150g); I would say they fly about 20-40ft+ farther than Star or champion molds because of the extra glide they get because of their lighter weights. The stability is almost the same, it's just the extra glide that make them fly farther.

Overall A heavier disc in (speed 9-13) fly further than a (speed 7-9) when thrown at higher speeds(and thrown lower to the ground).
If you throw higher in the air the lower speed discs can get some extra glide and fly a bit farther( and if they are lighter aswell they will also get more glide, but hey'll become harder to control than highspeeds in the lower weights).

If you throw a speed 9 disc around 350 then if you throw a speed 10+ with the same "throwing speed" it will almost fly the same length.

So for the long term goal of gaining Distance I would continue working way up the different speeds and try them out and see how they work for your form and what stabilities you feel you gain most for best "control distance".
Old 12-25-2013, 08:30 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Would it be better to continue working with heavier discs in progressively faster speeds
As your form gets better you should do just that (165-175g)

Quote:
or to throw warp speed discs in very light weights?
You can do that if you want to gain distance fast or if you have tailwind and need some extra distance (130-150g)

Quote:
Or perhaps it is the stability of the disc, would a max weight disc that is just as understable as the blizz katana fly just as far?
A max weight Star Katana 175g is just as understable as the Blizzard molds but because of the weight difference you need a little more Force to get the same distance out of it.

The better the weight-transfer the more force you get out of your body out to the disc and that will give you more distance
Old 12-25-2013, 09:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 139
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 39 Times in 32 Posts

For me it is more dependent on the shot. If the shot is wide open and over 400' I'll throw my blizzard wraith. But if there's an actual line I'm trying to hit I'll go with my TD or my PD. I just feel like I have a lot more control with them over my blizzard discs. But like most people I can usually get an extra 20'-50' out of my blizzard.

Last edited by bobmcnelly; 12-25-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:39 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 113
Niced 67 Times in 42 Posts

The thing you have to remember about Blizzard discs is, most of the weight difference is in the rim. This means they're less gyroscopic than traditional discs. This (combined with the light weight) usually makes them turn more at high speed, but also start fading sooner. That's the conundrum I'm in. I can get my 150 Bliz Wraith up to speed easier than any other discs, but it won't continue gliding as long as my Neutron Amp. I think getting the same or more distance with blizzard just requires throwing higher with annhyzer. Obviously some people get more distance with the plastic (world record).
Old 12-25-2013, 12:08 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 24
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Personally, my max weight drivers get more distance then my low 160 drivers, even though I feel like the lighter stuff comes out faster
Old 12-25-2013, 12:17 PM
Michael Moore Fan Club President

Years Playing: 26.7
Courses Played: 47
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Higher weight will slow down slower (fly faster longer) since it has more mass behind it but also drop faster because of the weight. Lower weights can possibly be thrown faster and glide/stay in the air longer. But less mass means wind will effect it more and slow it down faster so less control.

I prefer 165-170 with high speed drivers.
Old 12-25-2013, 02:41 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 56
Niced 5 Times in 3 Posts

I agree with bobmcnelly. I don't throw near as far as you do OP, but I have found that I can go in the 170s just fine with the 6 speed drivers, but for 7 and 8 speed I'm better off in the low to mid 160s. I also have a 150 Star Teebird (that goes straight, straight, straight) and a 149 Starlite Valkyrie. I only throw the Valk in no wind or downwind situations and only where I have a wide fairway.

I have more control with the heavier discs, but can't get the faster ones up to speed at those weights, so gradually I have been playing with the slower speeds at heavier weights. In the end, I think I will still have some combinations of weights for different shots in my bag. For me the answer to your question would be "both".

Old 12-26-2013, 10:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 7
Niced 33 Times in 19 Posts

I'll put it this way: if your goal is to actually gain "snap" and break that ~350' plateau with the Eagle type discs, it's much easier to feel and achieve the correct timing with mids and fairway drivers than it is with faster discs.