Old 06-16-2017, 05:52 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default New guy with a question

hey guys i just joined today and i am in hopes that i can get some help and join in the community.

Question: i suck at throwing back handed (i think is how they refer to it) but when i throw side arm i am pretty accurate. i Can get allot of distance and generally get it to where i need it. Just recently i started trying out different disc. so the question is, since i throw right handed side arm, are the effects on the disc opposite of what they would be for a standard back handed throw? l

if that makes any since
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2017, 06:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 104
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 127 Times in 99 Posts

Yes, the disc acts "opposite," because the spin is different. For right hand backhand (RHBH) throws, the spin is clockwise when looking down on the disc. For right hand forehand (RHFH) throws, the spin is counterclockwise. In short, that's why the disc fades to the right when thrown forehand, and to the left when thrown backhand.

Of course there are other differences, but that's responsible for the biggest difference between BH and FH throws. It's pretty typical for people to start with a better forehand, especially if you have any background in throwing sports. But keep working on the backhand, because it will become very useful and can go farther when you get better.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:52 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 12 Times in 10 Posts

I agree here with armiller, I started out throwing forehand and got pretty good with it and I'm very glad that I did. BUT, I realized if I was going to compete, I would need a backhand as well which i subsequently developed and am now primarily backhanding now. There are some great tutorials on here and youtube that help you to develop good form, which is important to focus on from the start. Sidewinder22 on here has a ton of very informative videos with drills and such for learning proper form. Good luck and welcome to the greatest sport ever.

Old 06-17-2017, 03:07 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well that definitely answers allot of questions for me. I really appriciate it and I've been watching allot of videos so it will soon be perfected.