Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: Putting is?
Putting is too easy, narrower basket would be nice on challenging courses 84 17.43%
Putting is about right, keep the basket size 383 79.46%
Putting is too hard, Make the baskets bigger 15 3.11%
Voters: 482. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-23-2016, 01:00 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 31
Niced 338 Times in 126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
Done.

What channels do you get with that?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2016, 02:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbot View Post
What channels do you get with that?
All of them.

To those who have said a smaller basket (or whatever that makes putting more difficult) would decrease excitement, I don't agree. I don't think there's any real reason why you should think that, either.

When a PGA Tour player sticks a shot to a few feet, that's exciting. Or when they drain a long putt, that's exciting. Tapping in is not exciting, and making a putt from eight feet (where PGA Tour pros are 50/50) is not exciting (if it's for eagle, the shot they hit to eight feet was the exciting shot).

From what range are 1000 rated players 50/50? It's probably too far out. It might be outside the circle.

As with golf, disc golf's exciting shots are often the throws, not the 30' putts that are more surprising if they miss.

Shrink the size of the catching devices (or whatever you do), and you'll still have those exciting moments. You'll still have pros parking it for a tap-in birdie or making a medium-length putt for eagle. You'll still have pros draining long putts, but maybe a "long putt" moves from 80' to 50'. Your "gimme" range moves from 20' to 10'.

"It will decrease excitement," I don't agree. I think it will increase it. Right now, star frames are not all that rare of an occurrence. Three guys on a 320' hole put it to 30' and you're almost guaranteed to get 3 or 4 birdies out of that. That's not exciting.

The park job to inside 5' from 320', now that's exciting.
Old 12-23-2016, 03:20 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 70 Times in 38 Posts

Instead of chains, use a small backboard. This will encourage the players to approach from a determined fairway position, but if they miss they may still have an opportunity to make it, although at much greater difficulty. Make a really bad throw and end up behind the backboard, and you'll probably pay the price of losing a shot.
Old 12-23-2016, 03:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.5
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,368 Times in 462 Posts

Watching guys miss 20 footers on a smaller basket is the adrenaline rush that this sport is missing!
Old 12-23-2016, 05:04 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.4
Courses Played: 360
Niced 1,644 Times in 808 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

From what range are 1000 rated players 50/50? It's probably too far out. It might be outside the circle.
For 1000-rated (not the top players) they're 50/50 from about 25 to 30 feet, as best we can tell from the limited data.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:01 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 68
Niced 245 Times in 140 Posts

I would love to see smaller baskets. Especially at courses like the memorial. Seeing pros at 40under par is annoying. The discs and talent have improved and you see more and more courses using fake o.b. and flags everywhere to make a course harder. The basket has not changed other than making putting easier with more chains.
When I see a "pro" make a 60 footer it's not exciting, it's expected...So sad.
Make the basket more of a bull's-eye type and that 60 footer is amazing.
Smaller baskets will only help the sport. Most courses are not championship level in the u.s. Add smaller baskets and half the courses will be closer to championship level immediately without adding a bunch of rope and flags
Old 12-23-2016, 06:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 39
Niced 505 Times in 233 Posts

I'd be more sympathetic to making putting harder if any one of the following were true:

1) We couldn't identify the best from the rest;
2) Some players only finish top five when their putting is on;
3) Players stop spending hours practicing.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,282 Times in 1,451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney View Post
It shouldn't be expected, since most of the time, pros miss from 60'.

The 60 foot putt into a bull's-eye will be more impressive, but a 60' lay-up won't be. If you make the risk of missing a comeback putt too great, players won't run the basket from distance nearly as often.

The basic formula goes like this:

(1) At what short distance will a putt be uncertain enough to avoid, and (2) at what distance will a long putt, if missed, end up at that uncertain distance, and (2) will those odds exceed the chance of making the long putt.

Or,

Would you rather have excitement at 60' but boredom at 20', or boredom at 60' but excitement at 20'?

Because changing baskets is bound to make this trade-off. It's hard to come up with a way that putts are practical to go for, but uncertain to make, at all distances.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:52 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 13.2
Niced 338 Times in 126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney View Post
I would love to see smaller baskets. Especially at courses like the memorial. Seeing pros at 40under par is annoying. The discs and talent have improved and you see more and more courses using fake o.b. and flags everywhere to make a course harder. The basket has not changed other than making putting easier with more chains.
Smaller baskets will only help the sport. Most courses are not championship level in the u.s. Add smaller baskets and half the courses will be closer to championship level immediately without adding a bunch of rope and flags
I don't understand why half the courses need to be championship level. Does that help or hinder the growth of disc golf?

Old 12-23-2016, 06:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 44.4
Courses Played: 189
Niced 508 Times in 251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbot View Post
I don't understand why half the courses need to be championship level. Does that help or hinder the growth of disc golf?
This. Most courses should be designed for the majority of people that play. Rec/Am.